Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teabaggers

Type
    XXXX

Teabaggers

How big a threat are these cretins? And what exactly do they want? All I hear, is climate change denial, regress social policies, and divert spending programs for the poor to defense, as though terrorism from outside our borders is the biggest problem. Everything on their agenda sounds like it emerged from the basement in backwoods church. It seems the saner part of America is idling under the impression they'll return to their caves, except they're gaining ground. Not only in the political realm (i.e. Cantor's defeat) but also in popular culture. Duck Dynasty, i'm convinced, is produced to support their agenda, or at least, it's implicitly doing the job. You can hardly go anywhere without seeing the images of the show's cast in their costumes, being that they resembled every other golf-playing, polo-wearing 1% percenter before their television debut. A quick Google search will reveal that.

In the last couple days, I've stumbled upon this Thucydides guy, an ancient Greek warrior-philosopher. So many of his quotes seem to resonate:

“In general, the men of lower intelligence won out. Afraid of their own shortcomings and of the intelligence of their opponents, so that they would not lose out in reasoned argument or be taken by surprise by their quick-witted opponents, they boldly moved into action. Their enemies,on the contrary, contemptuous and confident in their ability to anticipate, thought there was no need to take by action what they could win by their brains.”

Whether people want to accept or it not, teabaggers are the new contenders in our political arena. And I believe our future is dependent on how they're responded to. What do you think that response should be?

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Being a "foreigner", I have no qualified opinion on the Tea Party, but I would like to offer a thumbs-up for Thucydides.

He really makes you feel for the Athenians.

Type
    INTP
    Wow.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INTP
    I think they are just tools for rent-seeking elites like the Koch brothers. It's the kleptocratic plutocrats I'm worried about, not the tea baggers, who are really just crabby old white males.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Wow.
    "I came not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" Jesus.

Type
    ENTP
    I've struggled to identify any clear agenda from the Tea Party, but that's because it's a collection of contradictions.

Cantor's opponent (Dave Brat) wasn't even supported by the Tea Party, because his chances were considered too low to be worth the investment. But if we presume for a moment that Brat won by attacking Cantor using Tea Party strategies, then one can conclude Cantor lost because:

a) He was an establishment candidate: He was the majority leader of the House (right behind Speaker). So the Tea Party is anti-establishment.
    b) He was respected enough by Democrats that people were willing to work with him. So the Tea Party is anti-cooperation.
    c) He was an epic fundraiser for Republicans. So the Tea Party is anti-fundraising.
    d) He was in favor of immigration reform. So the Tea Party is anti-immigration.

So, what are they for? What are their policies?

The rhetoric of being in favor of small government and lower taxes is the traditional fiscal conservative agenda, but what relationship does that have to social conservatism? Moreover, why would poor hick Southerners think the Tea Party represents their interests?

The answer to all of those questions is simple: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

The Tea Party is just taking the most pragmatic course to power - attacking the establishment, appealing to racism, and logjamming government. It worked for these guys.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTj
    You should be more worried about the technocrats. Money = Power = Political Pull which may induce tomfuckery into your life.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    The Tea Party is just taking the most pragmatic course to power - attacking the establishment, appealing to racism, and logjamming government. It worked for these guys.
    It has worked before a bit closer to home as well.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    It has worked before a bit closer to home as well.
    Very true. States' rights was really the progenitor of the Southern Strategy.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    Very true. States' rights was really the progenitor of the Southern Strategy.
    Yes. Which is why I suspect many Southerners are only really fiscal conservatives because of its association with a bunch of other political ideas which has now become an powerful combination of ideas - the traditional northern Republican's policy plank and the Southern Democrats - that it is hard to see that the unification of the two was never a necessary conclusion. When the Democrats were still a party full of Jim Crow segregationists and lynch-apologists they were more than happy to take the Federal money from the New Deal, and in many ways actively supported it - as well they might as they probably benefited from the redistribution more than anywhere else.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein