Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gifts

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx

Gifts

1. what kind of gifts do you like to receive?

2. what's the best gift you've ever gotten? the best gift you've gotten for someone else?

for me, teas and soaps are very welcome (higher end is nice, heh + something about this has always seemed so stereotypically libra), and so are art supplies and books that i've demonstrated strong desire/need for. i wouldn't know what the best gift i've ever received is, but the best gift i've ever gotten someone else were two marimo balls in a small glass vase (and i know it's the best cuz he said "this is the best gift anyone's ever gotten me.")

i've never been big into gift culture and typically don't even get my own family members birthday or x-mas gifts since we just spend time together, but something about a good, unusual and/or unexpected gift can be really special.
    chatting on discord

Type
    INTP
    1. I'm not picky but I'd rather it be either practical, something I can wear or something I can play with. Romantic is ok too from a spouse.
    2. Best gift I got hmm... a bf who was a way on Valentines day made me a dozen roses using construction paper and pipe cleaners and mailed them to me so I'd get them on Valentines Day. I thought that was incredibly sweet especially since he had no artistic talent. Same guy gave me my first really nice camera which I just loved. Best gift I gave...ummm probably a top of the line video card a bf really wanted. Not really a gift, more of a surprise I made thousands of glow in the dark stars (putting some on invisible string) to make a 3D Universe in our bedroom for a bf who was really into astronomy. It became the stoner room. Everyone who came to visit us wanted to get high and go lay down in our bedroom.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by INTP_Polly View Post
    Best gift I got hmm... a bf who was a way on Valentines day made me a dozen roses using construction paper and pipe cleaners and mailed them to me so I'd get them on Valentines Day. I thought that was incredibly sweet especially since he had no artistic talent. Same guy gave me my first really nice camera which I just loved.
    Not really a gift, more of a surprise I made thousands of glow in the dark stars (putting some on invisible string) to make a 3D Universe in our bedroom for a bf who was really into astronomy. It became the stoner room. Everyone who came to visit us wanted to get high and go lay down in our bedroom.
    these are both pretty awesome, esp the second one! haha. i'd like to do something like that for my future bedroom / living space, at least as a gift to myself. currently i've got a large room divider/curtain in the works made of origami paper cranes and string (to be added later), which i'm planning to share with my bf one day.
    chatting on discord

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    these are both pretty awesome, esp the second one! haha. i'd like to do something like that for my future bedroom / living space, as a gift to myself.
    Warning it is a HUGE pain in the ass to remove it all once you move. I also surprised him by tiling the computer room walls and ceilings with CDs so it was like walking into a disco ball. It looked cool but it was a fail. The CDs reflected heat so that room was on average 7C hotter than the rest of the apt.

Type
    INTP
    I don't really like getting gifts.

My parents gave me a check for $5000 once. That was pretty awesome.

I don't think I'm qualified to say what the best gift I've ever given was. My mom really seemed to like the ABT tickets I got her one year though.

Type
    INTP
    Gifts can be fun and I like getting/giving them but they can grow old quick if it's more about the gift than the thought behind it.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by INTP_Polly View Post
    Gifts can be fun and I like getting/giving them but they can grow old quick if it's more about the gift than the thought behind it.
    i agree. if i'm gonna give a gift, it better be special, something that i think will actually make the person happy or make their life easier. i'm used to avoiding gifts altogether, but you can't do that for people who put a lot of thought into their gifts or always seem to get the perfect one. equal effort feels deserved, which is why i'd like to pay more attention to and "get better" at gifts, as a general life/social skill.

"bad" gifts like stuff i won't or can't use or don't like are easily forgivable and i've never minded them much if i can tell the gesture means something.
    chatting on discord

Type
    INTP
    I really hate receiving gifts, but I love giving them. The problem is I feel really awkward when I give them, so I'm like "hey open this later when I'm not around!"

1) The best gift I got was two paintings from a friend. She collaborated with a homeless woman at Staples with paper picked from the garbage and stuff. I was incredibly touched since I was homeless for a time as a kid.

2) I usually give my mom/dad small funny gifts. I got my mom a mug that said "queen of fucking everything" with this lady lounging for mother's day. For today I gave my dad a box of disposable underpants and "oops! I sharted myself" hand sanitizer since he got sick last year and shit his pants for a week.

I think for someone I might try to make a knock-off kintsugi teapot or something. Pick up a nice teapot at a thrift store, break it, and put it together with some gold paint glue.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by attila_the_hunny View Post
    I really hate receiving gifts, but I love giving them. The problem is I feel really awkward when I give them, so I'm like "hey open this later when I'm not around!"

I usually give my mom/dad small funny gifts. I got my mom a mug that said "queen of fucking everything" with this lady lounging for mother's day. For today I gave my dad a box of disposable underpants and "oops! I sharted myself" hand sanitizer since he got sick last year and shit his pants for a week.
    small funny gifts are more like my style, but that doesn't fit the taste of many people i try to get gifts for. if someone tried that for me, it's stupid but i feel like i'd be really particular about what it was and whether i could actually use it (lol). i'm just a sucker for stupid gifts and stupid things, but i have my own taste when it comes to that stuff.

i wonder if it's actually selfish to prefer giving gifts as a way to express yourself... hm.

i get hating receiving, too. the reason i don't like receiving as much is cuz i don't like other people's clutter. if my life's gonna be cluttered, i kinda wanna chose the things. still, i've learned to appreciate the gesture, and it's really nice when they leave you the receipt and never ask you about it again.

I think for someone I might try to make a knock-off kintsugi teapot or something. Pick up a nice teapot at a thrift store, break it, and put it together with some gold paint glue.
    awesome, i haven't heard that idea yet. sounds like a great gift if the person appreciates beautiful stuff, unusual stuff, art history, japanese / asian philosophy, culture and art, etc.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 06-15-2014 at 10:15 PM.
    chatting on discord

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    "bad" gifts like stuff i won't or can't use or don't like are easily forgivable and i've never minded them much if i can tell the gesture means something.
    I only got one gift I really didn't like. A bf designed a website in my honour and I was really creeped out by it. Firstly, it wasn't me...it was some fantasy woman on a pedestal that I most definitely am not. I felt really uncomfortable with that amount of attention. Plus he made a really awesome working site so he showed it to all our friends to show off his technical expertise. I had no clue who the site was for but got the feeling I actually had very little to do with it. Having all our friends look at it just made it so much worse.