Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What was your best job?

Type
    INTP

What was your best job?

What was your best or most favourite job? What made it satisfying for you? If it's not what you are currently doing, why did you leave?

Type
    INTP
    My present one as a software engineer. It has ups and downs but is the best overall.

Previous jobs and issues ...

• Experimental Physicist (kind of boring)
    • Classical musician (stressful)
    • Service jobs (boring and bad pay)
    • Labor jobs (horrible in every way)

Doing software isn't bad so doesn't make the list above, it's just that it could always be made better, characteristics ...

• Sometimes is stressful (not much anymore in my present spot)
    • Always needing to learn something new
    • Often get stuck waiting for others
    • Not always getting used to fullest capacity (or mostly not getting used to fullest capacity)
    • Rarely have to deal with people
    • Can be (almost) as weird or oddball as you like
    • Great pay/benefits
    • Extremely flexible, lots of freedom
    • Work is endlessly fascinating

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    Doing software isn't bad so doesn't make the list above, it's just that it could always be made better, characteristics ...

• Sometimes is stressful (not much anymore in my present spot)
    • Always needing to learn something new
    • Often get stuck waiting for others
    • Not always getting used to fullest capacity (or mostly not getting used to fullest capacity)
    • Rarely have to deal with people
    • Can be (almost) as weird or oddba ll as you like
    • Great pay/benefits
    • Extremely flexible, lots of freedom
    This is my experience too. It is the least worst job. And when I've done things that have been praised, it has made it about the only job I've had that has actually given me a sense of self-satisfaction.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTx
    I worked with an observatory for a few years as a systems engineer and data analyst. The location was very remote and I lived on-site much of the time in what was called "visiting scientist quarters" - a bunk house. There were rarely more than three or four people there and most of them were very interesting and unique.

There were frequent financial and operational problems, as one might expect - the institute was managed by researchers and professors with university oversight. Despite that it was a nearly perfect combination of what interests me and how I like to live.

(why did you leave?)
    The projects concluded, the grants ended and the facility went into hibernation.
    "Do not try to satisfy your vanity by teaching a great many things. Awake their curiosity. It is enough to open their minds, do not overload them. Put there just a spark. If there is some good inflammable stuff, it will catch fire." -- Anatole France

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    it hasn't happened to me yet and i'm not convinced it's something that actually exists, but this thought doesn't devastate me. right now i just see pros and cons and what's fitting / not fitting for my personality and strengths. like, i wouldn't go back to food service or retail cuz my low tolerance for that amount of human sales-type interaction makes it so i'm spending 200% more effort just getting by in those kinds of jobs compared to other people. low pay will make decent jobs kinda intolerable, also.

my current job is fine for now, but would be very difficult for someone not of a similar temperament and i'm not satisfied with the pay. at times it's very satisfying cuz i'm trusted with a certain expertise and i enjoy hectic production schedules (wtf), but i'm not sure what the potential for long-term growth is here.

i feel like my standards are always changing and getting higher, so idk.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 06-15-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Its no way to live one's life, what with other people bossing you about with arbitrary timetables, shit pay, no responsibility, and the social/health-horrors that come with shift-work, but for a brief period at university I was working off-hours security for a firm with lots of contracts around town.

Different places all the time, got paid to sit there alone and read while going for a walk around the grounds every couple of hours...

/the worst shifts though were where you couldn't do that because you were working events: like a fashion show at the national museum, where you just have to stand for 8 hours doing nothing.... which I think has to have been my worst shift ever...

Type
    INTP
    I'm still waiting for my favorite job. I guess the one I have now is pretty good. My boss is pretty flexible and I don't mind the work. Mostly I review how we do our work and recommend changes so I get to learn quite a bit of things in areas that don't completely bore me. I deal more with admin types and I preferred doing this kind of thing in more scientific fields because they didn't make you jump through so many unnecessary hoops but cut backs.... I took a promotion to where I am at to keep my hiney employed.

Type
    INTP
    My last one was good insofar as I was never rushed to do work, which was mostly dull. Occasionally I had an interesting challenge. I had short, perpetually extended contracts, which made it difficult to find apartments, even rooms to an extent, as I wouldn't sign a lease. Probably the one I start Monday will be the best.
    @Architect on software - the same could be said of GIS, though it would be a stretch to call the work fascinating.

Type
    INTP
    I worked in special projects and public programming at a museum. It was mostly short-term creative projects, depending on whatever exhibit was on display at the time, so the tasks were always changing and I never got bored or unmotivated. The pay was decent. I had a lot of creative freedom and my coworkers were interesting people, educated and mostly intuitives. I left due to major budget cuts after the Olympics. I went from being salaried to a part-time contractor and was no longer getting enough hours to pay my bills.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Architect on software - the same could be said of GIS, though it would be a stretch to call the work fascinating.
    Always surprises me what a big deal GIS is. It shouldn't be unexpected though.

My work is with scientific instrumentation, but what needs to be done with them is always changing. Doing Cloud stuff now, handheld, yeah GIS too. Always something different.