Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes something racist? A Washington Redskins thread

Type
    INTP

What makes something racist? A Washington Redskins thread

So I'm wondering this because people seem to be offended by stuff a lot lately.

I would make an example, but I'm afraid I'd be called out for questioning the acceptability in such an opening statement.

I don't have a good example anyway, but what do you think?

Is it racial insensitivity? Is it elitism? Is it lack of cultural acceptance? Is it entitlement? Is it sensationalism? What?

Is it racist if I say "GO SKINS"?

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I don't know but I get offended celebrating a White Christmas at the Cracker Barrel with someone honky their horn at me.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    Just change the mascot to a fucking potato.

Type
    ENTP
    Apparently enough people are offended by the name that it's becoming an albatross for the league. Even though it was a different sport, Donald Sterling's recent/current issues probably provided the necessary catalyst for the Redskins situation to tip. The NBA took an extreme step by decisively moving to strip Sterling of his membership in the league (as an owner, a private club basically), so depending on how that plays out, the NFL might not be able to cite "owners' prerogative" as an excuse not to act.

From a business standpoint, I think the question is "how does this hurt the team's interests". Bad press for one. Secondly, the patent office recently rejected certain trademarks the team holds, because, well, they acknowledged it was a racial slur at the time and probably still is (albeit an archaic one). Most people today probably aren't offended, in real time, by the name Redskins. But it's such a dated term that I don't think anyone's alive who remembers it being uttered offensively. The word Redskins only has import as a football team now, much like "49ers" or "Seahawks" generally don't conjure their source meanings when heard.

Dan Snyder is hoping to wait this thing out, because he doesn't want to look like an idiot and piss off his own fan base by changing the name. Most of the uproar is coming from posturing politicians, the media who've chosen to cover this as an interesting story for pageclicks, and a scant few actual protestors. Hometown fans really don't want to root for the "Generals" or "Penguins" or "Cockatoos" or whatever they'd have to go with instead.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    What makes something racist?

White people
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    I believe that all sports teams should have really stupid names that don't reference anything obviously outside of the sport. For instance, names like Redskins, Falcons, Seahawks, 49ers, Colts, Yankees, Braves, Indians, Redskins, Eagles, etc would have to go.

Abstract, ambiguous, or sports-referential names could stay, like: Chargers, Athletics, Raiders (?), Browns, etc.

Actually, scratch that, no team could keep their name. They'd all have to be new, and they'd all have to be weird and bad. Like the New York Bat Swingers, Cleveland Base Runners, New England Helmet Wearers, Los Angeles Millionaires, and the Seattle Small Market.

Actually actually, all sports should be government owned and operated.

No more guys playing high school ball in Georgia, going off to college in Ohio or Oklahoma or wherever, and then playing professionally for Dallas or New York while they live in Los Angeles. It doesn't make any sense, why do athletes represent any given locality? At the moment, everyone is a mercenary being carried about by luck and market forces. It makes it all meaningless.

We're rooting for brands. They may as well change the name from Redskins to Doritos.

This is why the World Cup is so much more interesting than the state of LeBron.

Type
    xNxx
    The walmart insulin shots

Type
    INTj
    Racism is only a matter of perception and interpretation. There is not an objective way to define it.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Maybe they can call them the Radskins.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I think they should either go for broke and just call the team the Blackskins or auction off the rights to rename the team for a year. They could be the Washington Chevy Volts or the Washington Coca-Cola Conquistadors. Wait. Maybe only one of those.

But really what makes something racist is a confluence of objective fact, the intent of the actor and the perception of the viewer. So ... clear as day, yeah?
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.