Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washing produce?

Banned
    Type
    INTP

Washing produce?

Does it actually DO anything? It seems to me if there's gnarly pesticides or bacteria, water might not be enough.

Type
    INxP
    Came across this today earlier at "work".

Basically it says that some says that you shouldn't wash chicken fillets cos all you'll end up doing is spreading bacteria around your sink or some shit like that. I never wash chicken anyways. That's just stupid. Washing it is essentially like admitting that you don't trust yourself enough to cook the chicken sufficiently to kill all of the bad bacteria, so you're going to make a half hearted effort to wash some of the bacteria off the surface in some sort of vainglorious effort to show how considerate you are about safe food or some bullshit. Basically I'm saying that I hate anyone who washes chicken and they deserve to die, preferably from food poisoning.

I sometimes wash mushrooms when they have black shit on them because they're grown in manure so I don't want cow shit in my food. Otherwise I don't really wash stuff. I'm trying to cut down on all that peeling bullshit too. Peeling stuff seems like a waste of food and time. My mother used to peel mushrooms. That was the first form of peeling on the chopping block. Also potatoes. Fuck peeling potatoes. I've experimented with not peeling carrots but it is a little unpleasant though I get used to it; on the other hand carrots are quick to peel. Okay things like onions do need to be peeled, there's no getting around that.

Anyways I'm glad we had this little chat.

Type
    intp

Type
    INTP
    I wash vegetables because often they have bugs and dirt on them. In practice I don't really wash anything else that I cook, though you're supposed to for things like lentils. Not washing quinoa was apparently a contributing factor in my developing a nasty allergy to it, but it was apparently pre-washed quinoa that I was buying so what can you do?

I rinse veggies and fruits, just to get the dirt and bleck off (I don't prepare any meat at home). That said, I think that a little dirt is probably good for you (I don't necessarily buy into the hygiene hypothesis completely, but I think it makes an interesting point). I just worry that too much dirt is probably from a scary factory farm, filled with antibiotic-resistant organisms. Yum!

Type
    xNxx
    I live on a sluice that collects my antibiotic-ridden bloodfeces, so it's cool.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i wash/rinse off produce i buy in stores and the thoroughness of the washing depends on what the thing is and how i'm preparing it. stuff i'm just gonna boil for instance doesn't require heavy heavy washing. mushrooms get a pretty good cleansing treatment complete with plenty of paranoid exfoliating.

i like rinsing off anything even if it's freshly picked organic stuff in cold water anyway. i like things feeling cool and fresh in my mouth and i don't want visible dirt specks.

stuff like white rice and some grains require washing as part of the preparation process so that's one of those things where it's def like You're Doing It Wrong if you don't.

Type
    eNTP
    I've washed rice and not washed rice. Once you're working with a rice cooker, the only difference is how much time you spend setting up the rice cooker--and having a strainer to clean. If you're boiling in a pot, not washing can make for a bit of a foamy starchy mess, but in even a midgrade rice cooker, you don't end up with a mess, you don't end up with mush, you end up with good, tasty, fluffy rice. Same as if you'd washed it.

And if you're buying enriched rice, well, when you washed it, you rinsed away all the enrichment. Congratulations.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    @Hephaestus
    you can still fail with a rice cooker by putting in stuff at the wrong proportions. but anyway, i wash white rice, and don't wash brown or other types of rice (which i prefer for the increased nutritional value).

i don't use a strainer and never have. i do the waterfall over the sink, risking the loss of many of my grainy friends.

i had a South Korean roommate who said that the leftover rice water is really good for washing your face with. i haven't tried that, but can imagine how. it's really soft water.

Type
    eNTP
    @tele, true. Anytime I use a new rice it can take a couple tries to dial in the perfect amount of water.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.