Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shifting your sleep schedule

Type
    intp

Shifting your sleep schedule

Mine is about 6 hours ahead of where it should be. What have you found to be effective in moving it?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Sleep "schedule?"

Type
    INTP
    From all reports, getting a dog is an effective way of doing this.

If it fails, you'll have to clean piss and shit off your floor every day until your neighbors report you for being an abusive twat.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgold View Post
    What have you found to be effective in moving it?
    basically having no choice but to wake up. for me it was taking care of baby animals (while unemployed) and for a while doing a 9 - 5.

Type
    INFP
    I'd just do it all at once. Set the alarm for 6 am or whatever. When your alarm goes off and you want to go back to sleep, decide on a number, preferably higher than 15 but no higher than 30. Choose a higher number if you're sleepier. Count towards that number, as slowly or quickly as you want, varying speeds or steadily, but promise yourself that whenever you reach that number, you're going to jump out of bed. Jump out of bed when you reach the number.

This might be useless or even detrimental advice for other people, come to think of it, but it works for me so maybe it would work for someone else.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Go around the clock and don't cave until after dinner. Done. (But easier said.)
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Go around the clock and don't cave until after dinner. Done. (But easier said.)
    Wuss-/non-guerilla version: Stay up late one night and get up very early the next day. That should be sufficient to make you sleepy the next night. Rise early for at least a week, better still, a month (apparently, it takes app. 30 days to form a habit on a neurological level).

These links might be helpful, too:

Early Birds Are Made, Not Born

17 Ways to be the early bird

Type
    intp
    Assuming you're currently waking up late in the day and want to wake up closer to sunrise? If it's really bad, as in going to sleep at 4-5am, then I sometimes pull an all nighter. I find that spending time outside during the day is really effective in helping me normalise. For me, going for a bike ride in the morning helps me feel awake which then makes me feel like sleeping when night time comes. If you need to go to sleep earlier than usual, in order to shift the sleeping schedule, then I find that being active during the day is the most critical factor in whether I can get to sleep or not. So if I were trying to shift a sleep schedule I'd make a point of being active during the day so that I can fall asleep whenever I'd need to. Having a job or some obligation is good to maintain the routine.

don't do it. nobody likes an early bird.

Type
    xxxx
    don't bring any entertainment into your bed unless it's a book, imo. i'm a hypocrite, but listen

also learn to enjoy cooking amazing breakfasts for yourself and post on social media if you're "that person." easy validation! (this is not me.)