Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Are We To You and Yours?

Type
    INTP

Who Are We To You and Yours?

Inspired by the conversation in the WWLL thread about how we refer to forum members. If for some reason you talk about a forum member to someone in meatspace, do you explain how you know them or do you make up a backstory?

I usually tell most people they are friends from the internet. If they are more curious than that, I say it's from a website about personality types. The fiancee knows more specifically who people are, especially since I've gone to meet a few of you. I don't talk about you all much with her, but when I do, it's easier not to have to mask anything.

Type
    INTP
    Like I said, it's best to say a mutual acquaintance hooked you up. It's not an interesting story to develop and they'll drop it. But I have said I've met people from a "psychology forum" before.

Most people here don't find it odd that I'd know or meet up with foreigners, because they already see me as a semi-foreigner, so they think there's something natural about it. I imagine it would be harder for Americans to explain why they know some Third World communist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    I rarely ever talk about this stuff IRL. I only have one friend I ever talk about who I met on the internet. I've known her over a decade now. We have our own lives but we are each others diaries occasionally. One of my IRL male friends met her on dating site and wanted my opinion of her so her and I started chatting. She's an INTP female too so we immediately hit it off. It set in motion a very good long distance friendship. I've been to Europe to see her but she is coming to see me the first time the end of July.

Type
    xNxx
    I refer to each of you as your avatar names, with brief physical descriptions and a synopsis of your socioeconomic station in the world cross referenced with your stance on a broad survey of modern issues.

Type
    xNxx
    You know, I don't actually do that, but I'm going to start because it's amazing.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    You know, I don't actually do that, but I'm going to start because it's amazing.
    People will think you're acquainted with an awful lot of Greek Gods, deceased scientists and superheroes.

Type
    intp
    As far as my IRL friends are concerned, you're all my former clients from a dark time in my past.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I imagine it would be harder for Americans to explain why they know some Third World communist.
    I think you might be surprised how very little that would surprise anyone who lives in California. In Nebraska it might raise an odd eyebrow, but not very much.

Yeah, I tell people you're my Internet friends. If they're someone who would know what that is, I might say it's an INTP forum or just say it's a psychology forum.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i've used "psychology forum" and "discussion board" which is super vague but it doesn't seem that weird to my generation. bf and i met on okc and i don't really dress that up, for instance. one of my good friends met her bf on craigslist. you'd think it was a juicy story but it isn't.

the reason i'm not more specific is cuz i don't want people from real life coming here and trying to figure out which posts are mine.
    chatting on discord

Type
    INTj
    Ferrus said "Secret Society" the first time we were questioned, and then "CIA" at a kebab shop...