Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Support Your Radical Intellectuals

Type
    XXXX

Support Your Radical Intellectuals

I just finished watching Manufacturing Consent, a documentary film about Noam Chomsky and his criticism of the media's facilitation of Government control, without regards to human rights or democracy, through such means as selectively covering stories and limiting debate parameters. He further argues that major networks systematically imply biases, so any conversation outside the conventional liberal, conservative spectrum is dismissed as radical. Well, fuck that, I say. If the word "radical" needs reclaiming in order to promote truth, then let's reclaim. For the good guys, hurray! Here are two men, who I believe deserve recognition. The first, as mentioned…

Noam Chomsky, activist, father of modern linguistics, and one of the tops cited sources of all time, (only behind Plato, Shakespeare, and the bible.)

And lastly, Hunter S. Thompson. Does he really need an introduction?

Now, it’s your turn. Bang the drums. Let's create some Esprit De Corp!
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Retired
    Type
    XXXX

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    On that note...

“All religions are equally sublime to the ignorant, useful to the politician, and ridiculous to the philosopher.”
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    iNtP
    i am a compassionate person, but i will ask this question not because i believe its true, but rather to raise some ideas:

is a population which is so consumed with themselves that they are oblivious to the control and manipulation over them, who support such things as war and slave labor by participating daily in things like consumerism, who criticize others who dare to speak their mind and face rejection, really worth liberating?
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by mhc View Post
    i am a compassionate person, but i will ask this question not because i believe its true, but rather to raise some ideas:

is a population which is so consumed with themselves that they are oblivious to the control and manipulation over them, who support such things as war and slave labor by participating daily in things like consumerism, who criticize others who dare to speak their mind and face rejection, really worth liberating?
    I fear we can't liberate the entire population, but we can liberate individual minds.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTP
    Didn't know there was a movie. I read the book when I was in high school and it kind of inspired a paradigm shift in my view of society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I recently discovered geographer David Harvey when I had to interpret for him at a talk here. He discussed the main points in his book "Rebel Cities" written after OWS, discussing how cities on the whole (and not just industries in the more classic Marxian sense) condense the logic of capitalism, and what challenges are faced by urban dwellers when it comes to subverting the order of something so apparently fixed and unsalvageable as a metropolis. It was pretty enlightening at the time, and the pdf of the book can be found online.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I recently discovered geographer David Harvey when I had to interpret for him at a talk here. He discussed the main points in his book "Rebel Cities" written after OWS, discussing how cities on the whole (and not just industries in the more classic Marxian sense) condense the logic of capitalism, and what challenges are faced by urban dwellers when it comes to subverting the order of something so apparently fixed and unsalvageable as a metropolis. It was pretty enlightening at the time, and the pdf of the book can be found online.
    His lectures on Marx are probably the best "MOOC" for a close-reading of Das Kapital. He was actually born not far from where I lived for a couple of years.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    XXXX

Last edited by Makers!*; 06-23-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by mhc View Post

I'm not entirely sure it's fair to equate an individual's susceptibility to a given instance or class of propaganda as an indication of moral rectitude or deservedness of liberation (which is a problematic enough idea in its own right). If individuals are made or or less susceptible by their own historically constrained processes of ego formation and socialization, it seems to me that they're potentially pre-disposed to being vulnerable to specific framings of information, and it seems almost similar to an individual having a genetic predisposition to a disease.

There certainly are indications that individuals can be taught to deconstruct media and recognize the manipulation that they experience, but it's not easy (especially once ego-identities have begun to solidify), and there's still the problematic idea of what constitutes objectivity.