Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies that are so bad they are good

Type
    XXXX

Red face Movies that are so bad they are good

What movies do you find shittytaining?

Type
    INXX
    I already posted a thread about it and no one wanted to discuss it.
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

Type
    INTP
    It's not a movie but we are watching the current season of Bachelorette. I'm sure she will find true love among her 25 suitors who almost all look alike.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    showdown in little tokyo

Type
    INtP

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    showdown in little tokyo
    Hell yeah. The homo-erotic subtext is hilarious.

Subtext? Sometimes it's text...

"They Live" is awfully good for being such a cheaply made cheesy movie. It was the first movie Zizek used to teach from in his "Pervert's Guide to Ideology". He takes the direct view of one of the longest fight scenes between friends ever. But if you watch it after seeing Showdown, the scene is a little weirder.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    "They Live" is awfully good for being such a cheaply made cheesy movie.
    A plethora of one liners headed up by "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.. and I'm all out of bubblegum"
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    This thread would need outmywindow. She once wrote such a terrific, acute review of a horrible movie at the old place that I went out to watch it, and it was one of the funniest flicks I'd ever seen.

Type
    INTP
    Early in my ex's pregnancy with my son, we were watching a movie with Keanu Reeves in it and got into a discussion about the standards Hollywood uses to hire and promote actors* which led to us searching Netflix for every film that listed Keanu Reeves in the cast and adding them all to our cue list.

Actually, it conveniently took about 9 months to watch them all.

Unfortunately no one can be... told... how many shitty movies are on this list, nor how shitty most of them are. You have to... see it... for yourself.

Naturally I came to have a certain appreciation for the man's ouevre, though. As far as "shittytaining" cinema, I was personally kind of partial to his overwrought troubled-teen dramas from the 80's, before Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, which is of course a goddamn classic in its own right.

Permanent Record kind of epitomizes the genre I'm referring to, though.

Not to forget about his subsequent 90's action-movie phase, of course:

Or the movie that made him a household name in the science fiction community with its eerily prescient portrayal of what the future held for humanity in the age of the Internet and virtual reality.

No, not that one. The other one. This is exactly what using the internet is like:

Of course, some of this force you to confront the blurriness of the line between a movie which is actually bad and one which is merely strange and/or dumb.

I mean, Speed is very possibly the stupidest movie ever made. (It's the one with the bus that will explode if it slows down--that's seriously the entire plot.) Once you've accepted that going in, however--"I'm about to watch the stupidest movie ever made"--it's kind of pure awesome from that point on. If there was ever a movie--no, scratch that, if there was ever a thing that was literally so stupid it was brilliant, the movie Speed is that thing.

*(According to what might be the most hilarious biographical documentary I've ever seen, Keanu Reeves was the fourth-highest-paid actor in Hollywood after the Matrix sequels came out.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.