Thread: Spearfishing

Type
    INTP

Spearfishing

http://www.spearfishingtips.com/imag...nder-rocks.jpg

Anybody else into spearfishing?
    Its one of my main passions.
    Freedive, aim, shoot, clean, cook, eat.

I am interested if anyone is spearfishing using a kayak instead of an rib ( inflatable rigid boat) which is more common?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Type
    INTP
    No. I hate fishing. I imagine the fish feel the same.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    No. I hate fishing. I imagine the fish feel the same.
    why do you hate it, if i may ask?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    why do you hate it, if i may ask?
    Boring, messy, usually have to go out at unpleasant times of the day like before dawn, usually freezing cold or boiling hot, the lakes, rivers etc are usually smelly and of varying degrees of dangerous, the costs are 10-1000x more than the cost of the fish, if that's what you want. I was forced to go out for month long fishing trips in the wilds when I was a kid with my dad, I hate it. Too physical, I'd rather be inside thinking or doing something interesting.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Too physical, I'd rather be inside thinking or doing something interesting.
    Like coding a fishing simulator?

Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Boring, messy, usually have to go out at unpleasant times of the day like before dawn, usually freezing cold or boiling hot, the lakes, rivers etc are usually smelly and of varying degrees of dangerous, the costs are 10-1000x more than the cost of the fish, if that's what you want. I was forced to go out for month long fishing trips in the wilds when I was a kid with my dad, I hate it. Too physical, I'd rather be inside thinking or doing something interesting.
    You were forced to fish. If you were forced to write software instead, may be you would be a fisherman today.

Spear fishing is a complex game that can be fascinating for the intp mind.

Equipment selection, free diving techniques, understanding underwater body behaviour,understanding different behaviours of different fish, underwater hunting techniques, risk management.... Also there is a whole new world down there to explore and you can eat fresh fish.

Type
    INTP
    I assume spearfishing is strictly a saltwater sport. And warm tropical saltwater only I would imagine. I've never heard of freshwater spearfishing - I think the fish would head for the hills (er, depths) before you could get to close to them. Although images of people standing on rocks spearing fish in rivers spring to mind.

So that would rule it out as a hobby for me if I was so inclined. I used to fish a bit (with rod and reel) in my teens and twenties, but I was never hardcore about it. It just seemed like a thing to do while you were out in the great outdoors.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    I assume spearfishing is strictly a saltwater sport. And warm tropical saltwater only I would imagine. I've never heard of freshwater spearfishing - I think the fish would head for the hills (er, depths) before you could get to close to them. Although images of people standing on rocks spearing fish in rivers spring to mind.

So that would rule it out as a hobby for me if I was so inclined. I used to fish a bit (with rod and reel) in my teens and twenties, but I was never hardcore about it. It just seemed like a thing to do while you were out in the great outdoors.
    its a saltwater sport indeed, but not only warm tropical saltwater.
    I am in the Mediterranean sea.
    I wear a 5mm wetsuit during the winter and 3mm during the summer.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    You were forced to fish. If you were forced to write software instead, may be you would be a fisherman today.
    Hey it works for you, that's cool, but I seriously doubt I'd ever have liked it.

Type
    INTP
    Hey it works for you, that's cool, but I seriously doubt I'd ever have liked it.
    fair enough.