Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Traits You Attribute to Being INTP

Type
    Intp

Best/Worst Traits You Attribute to Being INTP

In an effort to try to understand myself better, I ask the following question: what are your best and worst character traits that you attribute to your being an INTP? If you, yourself, are not an INTP, feel free to answer about a friend or loved one.

For me, the positive that comes to mind is my tenacity when faced with a problem. My inability to let things go has served me well in my life and career.

The negative I see about myself is how blunt and careless I can be with others and their emotions. I have hurt a number of people who were important to me over misunderstandings.

Best Bad/Worse Traits You Attribute to Being INTP

Type
    Intp
    Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post
    Best Bad/Worse Traits You Attribute to Being INTP
    Are you saying there are no positives?

A Transient Configuration Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I think my worst/best INTP trait may be the same....depending on when/where applied.

We INTPs want to see the truth of things even when it isn't pretty. All people (including INTPs) have, to some degree, an armor built of lies they tell themselves because people can't handle the truth. Society is a web of facades, and to function therein, not only must you maintain the proper facades, you also must be willing to suspend disbelief when faced with everyone else's facades. I'm not saying that INTPs don't ever lie to themselves, but that we are less likely to do so knowingly, and less likely to allow others to do the same. From the pov of many of the personality types, our ability to see through facades, coupled with our general unwillingness to accept them, is incredibly rude and invasive.

I suspect this is why we are notorious for serial monogamy, why it is so damned hard to be our friends, and why so many of us find being around normal people exhausting. When we see an intricate network of locks and levies built to channelize the truth, our natural inclination is to tear it all down and let everything seek its natural level.

This ability is also why we are able to see to the heart of things. You can't have one without the other. As my experience and knowledge base grows, I find that more and more people rely on my insight, and that I actually appreciate the friend filtering side effect of that insight.

And all of this said, for some reason, we can be blindsided like no other personality type I've ever seen. I'm talking about hit by a truck out of the blue blindsided by people. Perhaps because when we accept a facade, it isn't a matter of convenience, it's because we actually believe it to be reality, and when we are wrong, it makes us question ourselves more than it makes us question anyone else.
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 06-25-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: it's its ... sigh.

Type
    INTP
    @Sistamatic: Well put. When I was younger I hated facades and didn't want to accept them. I was a bit obsessed with phoniness and hypocrisy. That is to say, I had some Holden Caulfield in me (though I like to think I was never that bad). Over time I came to accept people's armor built of lies (good phrase!) as not entirely a bad thing -- for them. That is an arrogant thing to say considering I try to destroy my own illusions. I don't call people on their facades, but as you note, some people can tell when you see through them. I'm afraid I can't help that. Besides, the people who are most uncomfortable with having their facades seen through usually deserve to be uncomfortable.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    Intp
    The concept of an "armor built of lies" makes me feel everyone is being manipulative of every situation. Perhaps I am just too naive or optimistic, but I just don't think that to be the case. Either way, manipulating the situation seems like something that INTPs with their logic and reasoning (and ability to be coldly calculating) would excel at doing. I admit that I, myself, can be very manipulative when I choose. I know how capable I am in this regard and try to never employ this skill. I can accept the view that everyone wears some sort of armor only because I feel the majority of people do not do so on purpose, it is merely a coping/protection mechanism.

Well stated, Sistamatic, you have given me a bit to think about as I sit at work today!

A Transient Configuration Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerthuz View Post
    The concept of an "armor built of lies" makes me feel everyone is being manipulative of every situation. Perhaps I am just too naive or optimistic, but I just don't think that to be the case. Either way, manipulating the situation seems like something that INTPs with their logic and reasoning (and ability to be coldly calculating) would excel at doing. I admit that I, myself, can be very manipulative when I choose. I know how capable I am in this regard and try to never employ this skill. I can accept the view that everyone wears some sort of armor only because I feel the majority of people do not do so on purpose, it is merely a coping/protection mechanism.

Well stated, Sistamatic, you have given me a bit to think about as I sit at work today!
    But if you are manipulating people who can't see reality into doing what needs to be done in spite of their myopia, is that a bad thing? The reason I'm such a great teacher is that I'm great at manipulating my students.

Type
    Intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    But if you are manipulating people who can't see reality into doing what needs to be done in spite of their myopia, is that a bad thing? The reason I'm such a great teacher is that I'm great at manipulating my students.
    My first reaction is to say, "fair enough." And supply the caveat that as long as you use your powers of manipulation for good, everything is fine and well. Though the more I think about it, this bothers me because for me, the manipulator, to say that it is for the good of the other person because they don't see it the way I do is a problem. That is me pushing my personal beliefs onto another person. Maybe what they are doing or not doing is because it is what falls best into their belief system and who am I to judge?

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerthuz View Post
    ...manipulating the situation seems like something that INTPs with their logic and reasoning (and ability to be coldly calculating) would excel at doing. I admit that I, myself, can be very manipulative when I choose.
    the more sociopathic of entps are better.

i wouldn't say intps tend to be manipulative, are exceptionally effective at it or find it easy but i'd generalize that you'd have a hard time manipulating intps.

Type
    Intp
    Uh, I'll admit that I flirt the line between E/I. On certain days, I have been known to test as an ENTP. It actually freaked me out the first time it happened since I never in a million years would have thought of myself as anything but an introvert...