Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nonfiction writing workshop

Type
    INFP

Nonfiction writing workshop

Write an essay, write a prompt, or write an essay and a prompt. "Prompts": you could ask a question, suggest a topic, post a quote, post a picture, or write a thesis statement (etc: anything) that you want other members to write semi-polished essay responses to. Or come up with your own topic and then write about it.

In addition, you should/could follow rules similar to those that Makers!* wrote in the short story workshop thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Makers!*
    1) For every story essay you share, you must reciprocate with a response to every other story essay shared, up to three.

2) Feedback on stories essays is at least 300 words, and includes two positive and two critical (yet constructive) remarks. Consider it part of the writing/ learning process.
    EDIT

Someone brought up a good idea: essays should be added to the wiki section!! So I guess people could write drafts here and then upload the finished versions to Wiki. or something.
    Last edited by Blorg; 06-26-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I actually want to do this. Anyone have a prompt for me?
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INFJ
    Is this the thread where I trick members into writing my philosophy papers for me?

"
    'I cannot play with you,' the fox said. 'I am not tamed.'" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Le Petit Prince (1943)

REMINDER TO SELF WHEN DEALING WITH THE RABBIT WARRIOR: "All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu,
    The Art of War

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Explain philosophy of mathematics in a comprehensible manner to a twelve year old*

*if that sounds interesting to you

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Explain philosophy of mathematics to a twelve year old
    Hmm. Can I write about why it is not possible to explain this to a twelve year old?
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Hmm. Can I write about why it is not possible to explain this to a twelve year old?
    Sure, if the twelve year old can understand it?!?

Type
    INTP
    You have not reached formal operation stage and so cannot understand the philosophy of mathematics. Please return when you have. Good day.

Type
    INTP
    You have not reached formal operation stage and so cannot understand the philosophy of mathematics. Please return when you have. Good day.
    Humanity is doomed. I had such high hopes.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Reconcile Sartre's existentialism with Schopenhauer's assertion of an unfree will.

It is possible.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    Reconcile Sartre's existentialism with Schopenhauer's assertion of an unfree will.
    Well. It is misleading to say Schopenhauer considered the will unfree, except in a very specific manner. Schopenhauer's will - as I understand it - whilst not identical to the ego (that is the point of his critique) - does still have its own system of causality that materialists would deny. It has its own series of impulses, which whilst prompted by external events responds in a non-mechanistic manner. Is there not a tangency to what Sartre would consider the pre-reflective ego? Does not the freedom Sartre describes exist on a proto-ontological level? The sense of the ego develops by defining itself in Sartre's view by means of its capacity to take in and process the contents of a transcendental object world that has been pieced together by what amounts to us as some other sort of transcendental object world - a little like Schopenhauer's will. Freedom is the will's spontaneity, before consciousness, both in Schopenhauer and Sartre.

And the circle has been squared...