Page 1 of 237 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Respond to reputation comments

Type
    INtP

Respond to reputation comments

Or just broadcast them if they're particularly interesting.

Polemarch's love child
    Ok I lol'ed. I'm almost tempted to say it's true, let the INTP complex drama begin! (kidding....also, person who left it--good you're here. Been too scarce)

Type
    INTP
    They shouldn't be anonymous here... or is that the point of this thread, to make everyone else play the guessing game? ha.

Type
    INtP
    No, I could see who left it, so they are not anonymous. But I've gotten some funny reps, and I'm sure others have, and having a thread for it to have the option of sharing with the forum at large might encourage more activity. Or discussion. Or something.

Type
    INTP
    I've always enjoyed these sidebar discussions - whether being a part of them, or reading those of others.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    :/
    it's true.

Type
    INTP
    Spit take worthy - lol
    I had no idea what this meant.
    God bless Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spit-take

oh, and stickied

Type
    INTP
    Damn, I gotta taste absinthe!
    The key is to do more than taste, you experience it. It has a prepping ritual, which most drinks do not.

You want a glass which can hold a nose. A snifter or large wine glass will do well. They make special absinthe glasses, but that's just for being fancy, and they're likely a pain to wash. You can use a whiskey tumbler if you must, but it lacks grace.

The next thing to do is make sure you have ice cold water ready. The colder the better.

The last things you will want are a sugar cube and either an absinthe spoon, or one of those things you use to make Vietnamese style coffee. It would normally hold the grounds over the cup and allow you to make drip coffee sort of manually.

I use a Vietnamese coffee maker.

The sugar cube is optional, it's just a way to sweeten the beverage if you wish.

The magic happens when you slowly add the ice cold water. One of the constituent parts of absinthe is anise. The cold water knocks it out of it's bond with the alcohol and causes the drink to go from a pale greenish yellow (chlorophyll!) to a luminous sparkling and vibrant pearl--exactly what colours you will get vary from absinthe to absinthe. It will also cause the fragrance to bloom. A good absinthe can fill a room when when in full louche.
    Sadly, my favorite, which was locally made in small batches using a traditional copper alembic, is no longer in production. Or, if it is, I haven't found where it's being sold now that the liquor laws have been shuffled around. It practically glowed.

It's one of the few spirits commonly diluted before drinking--but seeing as generally weighs in at 60-70% ABV, you're still looking at a pretty serious beverage even after diluting it 1:1 with cold water.

A good absinthe wont contain artificial colours. Because people have such strong expectations of green colour from legends, some makers have taken to adding food dyes to make sure people are satisfied that what they have is green.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    The key is to do more than taste, you experience it. It has a prepping ritual, which most drinks do not.
    Ha ha, I have to relate my absinthe tasting experience.

I was in the French Quarter with some friends of mine. This was about two months after Hurricane Katrina. We were all a little buzzed at that point, but not too badly. We were wandering around the Quarter, which was as deserted as I've ever seen it. Suddenly we passed a little hole in the wall bar that had a big sign over the door which in Ye Olde Typephace read simply "ABSINTHE". I stopped in my tracks and gawped through the door. Inside, I saw a grizzled and hard bitten looking bartender standing behind the bar in front of an enormous collection of bottles.

I went inside, and my friends followed.

"Guys, we GOTTA order some absinthe from this dude."

"What's that?"

"Trust me. It's this evil green drink that killed Shelley and Byron's livers or something."

"Who were Shelley and Byron?"

"You're illiterate."

"Fuck you. No I'm not. I read USA Today."

"That's what I said. BARTENDER, WE'LL HAVE THREE ABSINTHES."

Dude whipped out three little glasses, absinthe spoons (looking all "Ye Spoone") and sugar cubes. He set them up with practiced speed and slowly poured our drinks. He held the bottle up high so we got a good look at the yellowish liquid pouring down on to the sugar cube and then dripping into the glass, its color transformed into a striking brilliant viridian.

"Oh man, Oso that's cool. What do we do now? Do we light this on fire or something?"

"No. Wait ... it's doing something."

As we watched the aromatic fluid started getting cloudy.

"Is it supposed to do that?"

"I think so. This dude on the Internet said that's called the Louvre. The luge? The douche? It was French."

"You're sure that doesn't mean it's like curdled or something?"

"Pretty sure. Drink yours."

"Why I gotta go first?"

"Because this was my idea. When you suggest drinking something crazy next time, I'll go first."

"But this is like 100 proof. What if I don't remember?"

"Fine you pussy, I'll go first."

I downed the little glass in a single gulp and they followed suit.

"Okay, it tastes like licorice. Now what?"

"Umm ... now we enjoy a licorice aftertaste?"

The bartender looked at us blankly, and we paid for our drinks plus a tip.

"So ... you were acting like this was kind of a big deal. Was that it?"

"Yeah, sorry guys. I thought this would be cooler for some reason."
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    "Who were Shelley and Byron?"

"You're illiterate."

"Fuck you. No I'm not. I read USA Today."

"That's what I said."
    Your post was worth it for those lines alone.

Type
    INTP
    *sigh. You rushed it. And you skipped the louche entirely. The poor bartender probably just facepalmed after you left.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)