Page 300 of 300 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300
Results 2,991 to 2,998 of 2998

Thread: Respond to reputation comments

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    What is Triple H's real first name?
    y u do dis
    Cut out all these exclamation points. An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    lol ok

i was about to say hunter but that’s his stage name. i have never been curious about his real name
    Cut out all these exclamation points. An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    @rep
    yeah...

psst! lemme know if you want the pdf. i can easily email it

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    When I think of a race swap, the guy who pops into my head is the lead in The Good Place. I don't even know his name or if he does drama of us English. I just picture his face.

The girl in my head is eastern European who barely speaks English.
    What about Chiwetel Ejiofor, who was actually in the film, as the lead? Did you see Dirty Pretty Things? Didn't he have a somewhat similar role? At least reluctant hero there to save the day. In this case white female. I can't remember it too clearly. It's been a minute since it came out. I may be getting plot points confused with Very Bad Things and some Hal Hartley film from the mid 90s, heh.

Incidentally, I saw a screening with Timothy J Sexton, one of the film's screenwriter. I am trying to rack my brain as best I can cuz race did come up in one of the questions. I'm like 98% sure it wasn't in regards to white savior complex but maybe African origin of human life repeated?? I can't remember, arrrgghh. He did mention that that infamously long tracking shot, the one where I believe, but could be wrong, where Clive breaks his ankle while shooting but still continues on cuz they had to have that shot, the blood splatter on the lens that you see was purely accidental. Alfonso, the director, was completely distraught by it and wasn't sure how to handle it but Timothy was one of the main ones pressing to keep it, as just one of those magical moments of filmmaking. I thought it was a good call to leave it in. Ha, so not related to the topic but there you are.

Type
    INTP
    Yeah I don't remember his character that well but I think he could pull off the disaffected, stoic yet frightened beurocrat persona. I could easily imagine just about any serious British black actor who is middle aged fitting the role. It's an everyman sort of role.

I had no idea that Clive Owen injured himself during a scene. I wonder if that was the one in the car or when he's moving through the containment camp. Both excellent scenes. That's what gets me. There are so many interesting things about that movie, the idea that race of all things should be the one thing to stand out is surprising in itself. And then to say that it is an example of the white savior trope specifically, to me, is flat out wrong.

There is some weird symbolic stuff with the overall plot, so I could see the significance of having an African actress for that role, but even then I don't think the callback to mitochondrial Eve is a necessary dimension to the plot.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I had no idea that Clive Owen injured himself during a scene. I wonder if that was the one in the car or when he's moving through the containment camp. Both excellent scenes.
    I thought for sure it made the trades but I don't see anything about it. Must not have been broken cuz the studio's pr dept would've tossed that around like a bean bag. I thought it may've been why he didn't work for a bit until he did that bland film with Julia Roberts. Duplicity not Closer. It was the containment camp scene. It was on the one of the early jumps that he did but God bless him he finished the take.

Another side note: could you see or could you have seen Clive as Bond?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    That's probably not needed, but we can if you want.

I noticed that @Sloth's posts articulated many of my thoughts, enough so that I jumped in here.

The\is topic isn't really that thread specific because it's part of how you think in general.

Are you saying that you personally reject embracing contempt in your life, only? Can you accept and respect the fact that another person has the right to nurse grudges and feel contempt, because maybe that works for them at the moment? I can't tell if you respect that other people are not wrong for feeling emotions you personally try to move away from.

And really, any feeling or emotion is natural for the person feeling it. That is certainly their right. As I said before, emotions that are destructive in a normal context can be useful in crisis or recovery.
    If you don't have a hammer, a rock will do. If you don't have a better option, contempt can accomplish things...but I'd sooner advocate for better options; give people better tools. I reject contempt as 'the appropriate tool for the job', essentially. Not saying you can't build a house using a rock for a hammer, only that it is far far far from the best way.

Don't have access to a hammer? by all means, make do with what you've got...but when you're out of the woods, set up a shop selling hammers, not a shop selling rocks.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Good taste in movies.
    thank you