Page 286 of 286 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286
Results 2,851 to 2,858 of 2858

Thread: Respond to reputation comments

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    Well jeez and cheese jigglypuff, the fact that a few days ago I thought cheese and olives were my only real cravings and suddenly I'm craving cheese toast and steak? Strikes me as funny that I know myself so poorly.

Might be that I'm really hungry right now though. I'm trying to stay slim! I'm trying REALLY HARD! I have not even raided the fridge since you started throwing food words all over the forum! Not yet anyway.
    OLIVES

olives??!
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    That being said, I found Rogue One to be really really boring. I hope you guys aren't of the opinion that it is like some sort of crown jewel in the series.
    I do. It is a proper prequel, and it's a good movie in it's own right. Even it's klunky bits fit in with the Star Wars mythos. It doesn't try to repeat the other movies, it stakes out a claim on an implied event and sets it up. But it does something more than that: it shows a spark of artistry.

The cinematography of Rogue One qualifies as a character in the same way the Middle Earth is a character in the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit--the books that is. Most of the movie is dark, not just in tone but in lighting. Even scenes outside are overcast. They also use a claustrophobic depth of field, and even the quality of the film is grainy, making the visuals muddy. It can leave you scowling just a bit to make things out.

But then they get the Death Star plans.

Gradually, everything gets brighter, the depth of field longer and the film is sharper. Why? Hope. Hope is literally demonstrated by the lighting and film quality. I was amazed by the nuance.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I do. It is a proper prequel, and it's a good movie in it's own right. Even it's klunky bits fit in with the Star Wars mythos. It doesn't try to repeat the other movies, it stakes out a claim on an implied event and sets it up. But it does something more than that: it shows a spark of artistry.

The cinematography of Rogue One qualifies as a character in the same way the Middle Earth is a character in the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit--the books that is. Most of the movie is dark, not just in tone but in lighting. Even scenes outside are overcast. They also use a claustrophobic depth of field, and even the quality of the film is grainy, making the visuals muddy. It can leave you scowling just a bit to make things out.

But then they get the Death Star plans.

Gradually, everything gets brighter, the depth of field longer and the film is sharper. Why? Hope. Hope is literally demonstrated by the lighting and film quality. I was amazed by the nuance.
    All of that made a predictable film predictable. It was like Titanic, without the crappy love story...which, in Titanic's case, is a film about a boat that hits an iceberg--you know the entire plot before the opening credits. I don't really care how you doll it up in nuanced film techniques...a boring premise is a boring premise. The fact that it all happens just to resolve a plot hole in a previous film makes it all the more pitiful.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Didn't know where to stick this, but thought I would mention:

I've conditioned myself not to use the rep feature, ugh.
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'

Type
    INTP
    All of that made a predictable film predictable. It was like Titanic, without the crappy love story...which, in Titanic's case, is a film about a boat that hits an iceberg--you know the entire plot before the opening credits. I don't really care how you doll it up in nuanced film techniques...a boring premise is a boring premise. The fact that it all happens just to resolve a plot hole in a previous film makes it all the more pitiful.
    I don't like the analogy but I agree that it's a terrible film. Cinematography did not redeem Rogue One.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    What plot hole? If you want an unpredictable film, the Star Wars franchise hasn't delivered since the Empire struck back.

Rogue One delivered more adventure than all the other prequels and episodes 7 and 8 combined. It also had more sustained tension, made more sense, and is the only one that captured the right flavor because it took itself seriously.

That you went to see a film with a premise you found boring is on you.

If the other prequels had been as well made, instead of brightly colored 2+ hour commercials for Hasbro, I'd have no complaints.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; Today at 04:02 PM.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    I liked Rogue One better than any of the other Star Wars movies that have been made in my lifetime. The fact that it's predictable is kind of baked into that style of movie, though. It's still a Star Wars movie. And yeah, if you want surprises don't expect them from a historical drama (and Rogue One is basically a historical drama set in the pseudo-history of the Star Wars universe).

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    I liked Rogue One better than any of the other Star Wars movies that have been made in my lifetime. The fact that it's predictable is kind of baked into that style of movie, though. It's still a Star Wars movie. And yeah, if you want surprises don't expect them from a historical drama (and Rogue One is basically a historical drama set in the pseudo-history of the Star Wars universe).
    I agree. It has its problems (and quite a few of them), but still I like Rogue One far better than any other Star Wars movie made "in my lifetime", which is essentially all others (I was born in 1975). I am not, and will never be a Star Wars fan (I'm quite the opposite), but Rogue One was still observably, objectively of higher quality and less problematic than all other Star Wars movies, by several quantum leaps, if you ask me. To put things in perspective, I am not lauding Rogue One. I'm just speaking of it relative to other Star Wars movies.