Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: typology and the intp

Type
    iNtP

typology and the intp

has anyone else concluded that for other types, interacting based on typology involves discussions based on the subject, however for intp's, the idea seems to be a means to an end for finding like minded individuals?
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    INFP
    That's because you INTPs are Fe creatures. Fe types move in herds; witness the en-masse departure of the INTPs from INTP Central. Most Fe-user types are experts on their own type and aren't otherwise much interested in how other types and functions work.

In typology discussions of other types, INTPs are good at jumping in with with a "me too" observation and then adding their own Ne spin. And they usually have something interesting to contribute at that level. But they rarely initiate, unless it's to quote chapter and verse from established authority. (The obvious exception is when INTPs apply their Ti to MBTI and come up with some kind of typology uber-schema that they write books about and that can only be understood by them.)

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by RDF View Post
    (The obvious exception is when INTPs apply their Ti to MBTI and come up with some kind of typology uber-schema that they write books about and that can only be understood by them.)
    Yeah, agree with this. I've seen Ti doms discuss personality theories at length in some other forum. I just go 'wow'. It's not so much about just validating my far-from-being-scientific interest but rather my fascination of their ability to prove how a framework works from top to bottom, with logical eloquence.

Ni is far from being rational but I personally think I just spot a bullshit when I see one. Okay, that was a metacommentary. Carry on.

Type
    eNTP
    Fe types move in herds; witness the en-masse departure of the INTPs from INTP Central.
    Uhh. Leaving INTPc for here was more like "Don't stand in fire".
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Ni is far from being rational but I personally think I just spot a bullshit when I see one. Okay, that was a metacommentary. Carry on.
    What if you are wrong when you spot bullshit?

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Uhh. Leaving INTPc for here was more like "Don't stand in fire".
    I'm not meaning to poke at a sore spot there. You all had your reasons. It's just one of those easy examples where INTPs sometimes appear (to outside observers) to be acting in the grip of a hive mentality.

As Fi-users, INFPs come off as whiny individualists. By comparison, INTPs with their Inferior Fe can sometimes come off as communal curmudgeons.

Type
    eNTP
    I'm not meaning to poke at a sore spot there. You all had your reasons. It's just one of those easy examples where INTPs sometimes appear (to outside observers) to be acting in the grip of a hive mentality.

As Fi-users, INFPs come off as whiny individualists. By comparison, INTPs with their Inferior Fe can sometimes come off as communal curmudgeons.
    I think my objection is this: a herd or a hive is implicitly ingrained in a way that obviates choice in the matter. When used as a metaphor it implies conservatism, and a level of gregariousness and mobbishness that rings false for a type sometimes described as iconclastic and usually described as self-isolating. This place exists because we pick and choose our attachments with such care that we're loathe to lose them.

Sometimes that loathing can be the catalyst for more mobbish behavior--but that strikes me as a more general human trait. Sometimes a groupthink spawns out of a desire to remain in group, sometimes it comes about as a desire to keep a group existing, sometimes it comes about as a matter of trust in groupmembers--but the formation of those groups, the creation and maintenance of social bonds is something I would call characteristic of species, not personality.

The specifics of how those attachments are formed though, be it picking and choosing at length and infrequently, or broadly and easily--is more a function of personality, or possibly a descriptor of it.

The connotations I have for herd/hive behaviors, leave the words not fitting at all. I can definitely say I've seen some groupthink, but I think I've seen more accusations of groupthink blindness than has actually occurred--and from within the group at that!

Another thing to consider is that outside of places like this, INTP's tend to feel isolated and alone. But we still have the bones of our social animal heritage in our makeup, we just don't fit readily into most of the commonly available tribes. The while idea of this sort of place is to have a space where we can meet our own kind, and once contact has been made, it makes for a doubly strong loathing to relinquish it.

Such is my thinking anyway.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INFP
    I think my objection is this: a herd or a hive is implicitly ingrained in a way that obviates choice in the matter. When used as a metaphor it implies conservatism, and a level of gregariousness and mobbishness that rings false for a type sometimes described as iconclastic and usually described as self-isolating. This place exists because we pick and choose our attachments with such care that we're loathe to lose them.

Sometimes that loathing can be the catalyst for more mobbish behavior--but that strikes me as a more general human trait. Sometimes a groupthink spawns out of a desire to remain in group, sometimes it comes about as a desire to keep a group existing, sometimes it comes about as a matter of trust in groupmembers--but the formation of those groups, the creation and maintenance of social bonds is something I would call characteristic of species, not personality.

The specifics of how those attachments are formed though, be it picking and choosing at length and infrequently, or broadly and easily--is more a function of personality, or possibly a descriptor of it.

The connotations I have for herd/hive behaviors, leave the words not fitting at all. I can definitely say I've seen some groupthink, but I think I've seen more accusations of groupthink blindness than has actually occurred--and from within the group at that!

Another thing to consider is that outside of places like this, INTP's tend to feel isolated and alone. But we still have the bones of our social animal heritage in our makeup, we just don't fit readily into most of the commonly available tribes. The while idea of this sort of place is to have a space where we can meet our own kind, and once contact has been made, it makes for a doubly strong loathing to relinquish it.

Such is my thinking anyway.
    So you think it has absolutely nothing to do with Fe-Inferior? Or are you just objecting to the use of the terms "herds" and "hive mentality"?

In other words, are you disputing the main idea? Or just the terminology used to illustrate the idea? Or both?

Type
    eNTP
    So you think it has absolutely nothing to do with Fe-Inferior? Or are you just objecting to the use of the terms "herds" and "hive mentality"?

In other words, are you disputing the main idea? Or just the terminology used to illustrate the idea? Or both?
    I'm not sure. Definitely object to the verbiage. But I think it calls that other into question as well. However, in so doing, my weak understanding of the functions involved comes to the fore. I lack the knowledge to justify the stronger objection.

Type
    INFP
    I'm not sure. Definitely object to the verbiage. But I think it calls that other into question as well. However, in so doing, my weak understanding of the functions involved comes to the fore. I lack the knowledge to justify the stronger objection.
    Fair enough. As an outside observer, I tend to see a lot of Fe happening when INTPs get together: It's sort of a mutual feedback thing, where you all send out signals and then look at the response to see whether to dial up or dial down the intensity of further interactions on that subject. And all the INTPs seem to be on the same wavelength to such a degree that Fi-users can find it a bit daunting. Again, as an outside observer, I call that a bit of "hive mentality."

But if that explanation doesn't work for you, that's fine. I'm not an authority on the subject; it's just a casual observation from an outside observer.