Thread: We are made of stars (yeah right!)

Type
    iNtP

We are made of stars (yeah right!)

im sure many of you have heard the idea that we are made of stars or star dust, or something of that ilk, and so is everything. if a coke machine is made of the same stuff as me - more or less, what is it that grants me life and all that that entails, as opposed to the coke machine? now we could all go into depths of how such and such biological processors all come together to form a complex system of chemicals and matter that is the living version of the coke vendor, but seriously, come on..

how do the chemicals or electrical signals form the visions and understandings, feelings and emotions that make up my imagination, that exists no where else? of the actual composition of the body, sure it could come from a star, i mean why not? but what about that breath of life, the thing that gives that spark of life, the very thing Pinocchio and astro boy so long desired for? could one not then be found to have no improper reason for saying that a star is alive? or that atoms or the other small things like them are alive to?

if to be alive is to be a complex system of star stuff, does that mean that things that are seemingly inanimate experience feelings and are capable of imagining as well?

surely there is more to life than just star dust
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    INTj
    Yeah, I kind of felt the same way after a long strange LSD trip... and then I came back to reality.

IME mixing philosophy with pseudoscience doesn't yield good results, just start studying physics.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    We don't understand the process of consciousness to scientifically determine its exact nature yet. In some ways neuroscience is in need of its Newton, its Darwin, its Rutherford or its Turing.

But we can surmise, on the basis of a reasonably sound philosophical principles that the most likely belief consistent with the rest of the beliefs we hold and that are experimentally verified is that it is based upon material principles. And that some nature of the organisation of those materials, to wit the complex and poorly understood neural networks of the brain allow some kind of partial representation of the universe in the brain itself, which produces the referential loop needed for consciousness.
    Last edited by ferrus; 06-29-2014 at 09:50 PM.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    And that some nature of the organisation of those materials, to wit the complex and poorly understood neural networks of the brain allow some kind of partial representation of the universe in the brain itself, which produces the referential loop needed for consciousness.
    Nice. I like the way you phrased that.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by mhc View Post
    does that mean that things that are seemingly inanimate experience feelings and are capable of imagining as well
    Well no, to be alive is a more specific characteristic of certain things but not others.

The whole "stardust" concept is just a way of expressing the theory that matter spit out by stars later congealed into planets.

The completely subjective dimensions of consciousness can't, of course, be empirically measured, but like Ferrus said, the observable phenomena we refer to as consciousness are gradually coming to be understood by science. Moreover, this science is in a pretty primitive phase of its development at present, and just waiting for a paradigm-setting breakthrough that should take a lot of the philosophical mystery out of the question of what consciousness is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INxP

The Origin of Elements

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    NO you did-unt!
    ...Just step on Carl Sagan's Grave.

We need to get REAL here people.
    MmmKay?

Your life is not fascinating enough to build an entire fake reality around you Truman.

No frigging machines are gonna be dumb enough to build 7 billion life-support cocoons only to harvest 12 watts per unit. let's face it, we are just too high maintenance.

And even if Life is but a dream, you still gotta row your ass up shit creek.
    Right?
    Right??
    RIGHT?

From the gravy to the grave. If we are but a mere bit of undigested beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato...

We will still return to the shit creek.

Star Stuff or Stinking Stuff?
    Star Stuff or Stinking Stuff?

Yeah, let's go with Star Stuff.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Utisz View Post
    PToE
    Is it just me who feels neptunium and plutonium should have their own colour code, or at least half-supernovae half-man-made? There are doubts that Plutonium-244 was actually detected in the 70s experiments.
    Last edited by ferrus; 07-02-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein