Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Political Pamphlets

Type
    XXXX

Political Pamphlets

I’m putting together a series of brief essays to anonymously distribute around my hometown and campus. I will print them off and possibly have them laminated before dispersing them in public, heavily traveled areas. If you would like to contribute, by all means post here. Themes need include, corporate control, climate change, media distortions, class suppression, wealth disparity, or philosophical treatises that react against the system. You may draw from the news, history, poems, art, literature or personal experience to drive your point across. It’s up to you.

Also, note. Ultimately, I will use my discrepancy to decide what gets dropped. You may use any of the essays and do the same. In fact I encourage it. This thread may thus function as a pamphlet collaborative.

Political action is as enlivening as it is necessary.

I will post my example tomorrow. Godspeed.
    Last edited by Makers; 06-30-2014 at 04:05 AM.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Buy my book

Type
    INTP
    I wrote a lot of pamphlets in the past. Sometimes I think I still involuntarily write like that. I dunno, agitation is beautiful to me. It's an attempt to reach that one point in someone's mind that will compell them to act. It's a pyschological exercise because you want to awaken something that is dormant. There's something almost intimate about it despite the fact that your reader doesn't exist at the moment you are writing it. The reader is an abstraction, a guess. And you gamble on that guess. I dunno, it just gets my blood flowing.

I don't see the use for anonymous pamphlets. If you don't gather people around something concrete, why are you doing it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I wrote a lot of pamphlets in the past. Sometimes I think I still involuntarily write like that. I dunno, agitation is beautiful to me. It's an attempt to reach that one point in someone's mind that will compell them to act. It's a pyschological exercise because you want to awaken something that is dormant. There's something almost intimate about it despite the fact that your reader doesn't exist at the moment you are writing it. The reader is an abstraction, a guess. And you gamble on that guess. I dunno, it just gets my blood flowing.

I don't see the use for anonymous pamphlets. If you don't gather people around something concrete, why are you doing it?

I don't want to be a movement leader. I want people to be their own leaders. I want to challenge them to think very critically about the world’s events and to develop an opinion.

Discussion itself is powerful too, I believe. Words and ideas will spread, though it may happen slowly at first. It must start somewhere.

People can run through so many articles online. But something actually in your hand is different. It’s present, unavoidable. You know some ones hand went into the work, so it becomes much more personal.

If you want to contribute any writings new or old, I'd be very grateful.

Buy my book

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    I don't want to be a movement leader. I want people to be their own leaders. I want to challenge them to think very critically about the world’s events and to develop an opinion.

Discussion itself is powerful too, I believe. Words and ideas will spread, though it may happen slowly at first. It must start somewhere.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't, I mean, if anything it seems like a colorful story to tell your grandkids (going around distributing anonymous philosophical manifestos in your youth), hehe. Seriously though, if you don't think about what you want it to materialize into, I think the effect won't take hold. It's like scattering seeds without watering them, not knowing where they'll grow, if at all. In the best of cases, someone might agree with you and not know what to do about it. I'm not saying you should know yourself, but without a way for them to contact you, you won't be able to brainstorm things with them and consequently amplify your voice (just one more person is double what you are now).

Plus, who doesn't want to make up a cool name? (We could totally make suggestions here.) That's like half the fun of starting shit. An email address or internet page with a name on it would be a way for them to contact you, and you don't lose anything by it.

People can run through so many articles online. But something actually in your hand is different. It’s present, unavoidable. You know some ones hand went into the work, so it becomes much more personal.
    Again, not to be a downer, but most people won't even take your pamphlet. The ones that do will mostly not read it. Some will throw it away at the next trash bin before they're even out of sight. Some might crumple it in your face (try objecting to that, it could escalate to a punch in the face). Some people will look at you like you're an annoyance and some won't even look at you. It's mostly rejection and disinterest. So I hope you don't mind rejection. If you're alone and using your own money on it, it'll get frustrating really fast. If you try to talk to them when you give it to them, then you might have some more interesting experiences, but they're mostly going to try to get away. And if they don't, you'd need to have something to offer them besides, "Here's something to think about. See you next lifetime."

If you want to contribute any writings new or old, I'd be very grateful.
    I don't know how to write about politics in English and I don't know how to reach out to Americans*, but it'll be fun reading and commenting.

*My style is feelerish, optimistic, hyperbolic and urgent, which is well-received here but probably comes across as manipulative or just plain stupid to non-latin audiences.
    Last edited by Madrigal; 06-30-2014 at 01:00 PM.

Type
    XXXX
    I'm not saying you shouldn't, I mean, if anything it seems like a colorful story to tell your grandkids (going around distributing anonymous philosophical manifestos in your youth), hehe. Seriously though, if you don't think about what you want it to materialize into, I think the effect won't take hold. It's like scattering seeds without watering them, not knowing where they'll grow, if at all. In the best of cases, someone might agree with you and not know what to do about it. I'm not saying you should know yourself, but without a way for them to contact you, you won't be able to brainstorm things with them and consequently amplify your voice (just one more person is double what you are now).

Plus, who doesn't want to make up a cool name? (We could totally make suggestions here.) That's like half the fun of starting shit. An email address or internet page with a name on it would be a way for them to contact you, and you don't lose anything by it.

Again, not to be a downer, but most people won't even take your pamphlet. The ones that do will mostly not read it. Some will throw it away at the next trash bin before they're even out of sight. Some might crumple it in your face (try objecting to that, it could escalate to a punch in the face). Some people will look at you like you're an annoyance and some won't even look at you. It's mostly rejection and disinterest. So I hope you don't mind rejection. If you're alone and using your own money on it, it'll get frustrating really fast. If you try to talk to them when you give it to them, then you might have some more interesting experiences, but they're mostly going to try to get away. And if they don't, you'd need to have something to offer them besides, "Here's something to think about. See you next lifetime."

I don't know how to write about politics in English and I don't know how to reach out to Americans*, but it'll be fun reading and commenting.

*My style is feelerish, optimistic, hyperbolic and urgent, which is well-received here but probably comes across as manipulative or just plain stupid to non-latin audiences.

Allot of this project will have to develop as I go along. Cool names, websites, etc. I can think about. I kind of have this idea, where once a solid contribution base is established, I can upload the material to central location, post everything to reddit or somewhere with heavy traffic, and encourage other students to print them off and distrubute around their campus's too. Or even, read them in townhall meetings.

That's all still in the abstact though. The most important thing now is material. I realize people may not take the pamphlets or throw them away. But I'm betting on those out there who are ready to receive, who know they're be manipulated, and looking for the words that say it.

My source material is all good intellectual stuff, often overlooked because its complete reaction against the potential disaster our systems leading us into. The news can't cover it. It won’t. So it never gets said. I would like to tell grandkids about my involvement to incite change. I'd like to tell them some about my war experience, as well as my time working in the woods and fishing in Montana. Right now though, I'm genuinely worried there won't be a future available to them. It makes me hesitant to even want my own kids.
    Last edited by Makers; 06-30-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Buy my book

Type
    INTP

A lot of right-wing political communications in the US (mainly targeted direct mail and email to demographics that are known to be receptive) use a style that is feelerish, pessimistic, hyperbolic, and urgent. Stuff like "OMFG, Obama is going to seize your guns, revoke your civil liberties, and throw you into a re-education camp!" Obama will probably kill your dog too. So you're not far off the mark.

It does suck that there is a lack of optimism in US politics on all sides.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    A lot of right-wing political communications in the US (mainly targeted direct mail and email to demographics that are known to be receptive) use a style that is feelerish, pessimistic, hyperbolic, and urgent. Stuff like "OMFG, Obama is going to seize your guns, revoke your civil liberties, and throw you into a re-education camp!" Obama will probably kill your dog too. So you're not far off the mark.

It does suck that there is a lack of optimism in US politics on all sides.
    Well then there's your problem. Nobody likes gloom and doom. Nobody will want to be your friend if you're gloom and doom.

Type
    ENTP
    Well then there's your problem. Nobody likes gloom and doom. Nobody will want to be your friend if you're gloom and doom.
    The goal here isn't agitation though - it's obstructionism. Those right wing communications aren't designed to cause anyone to rise up against anything. Just to obstruct, oppose, resist change.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    The goal here isn't agitation though - it's obstructionism. Those right wing communications aren't designed to cause anyone to rise up against anything. Just to obstruct, oppose, resist change.
    Actually, the Tea Party has risen up against... whatever it's against. But mainly, those scaremongering pamphlets and emails are intended to solicit donations.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Actually, the Tea Party has risen up against... whatever it's against. But mainly, those scaremongering pamphlets and emails are intended to solicit donations.
    Donations are passive. Not that donations are irrelevant or meaningless - quite the contrary, money talks. But getting these people to march in the streets would be difficult without some sort of positive endgame.

It seems to me that the only common thread uniting the American right wing is opposition to equity, whether that relates to economic, racial, gender, or other terms. [For some that exists on ideological grounds (limited government intervention) and for others it exists on a baser level.]

As such, there is really no common vision of what a better future state would look like. And unlike the extreme left wing (who would theoretically support the disruption of the current order in favor of some unknowable alternative), most of the extreme right wing would be content with simply halting and/or reversing change. If offered a shot at reclaiming 1954, most would jump at it.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.