Thread: I am the brain washer or Television rules the nation

Type
    iNtP

I am the brain washer or Television rules the nation

ten points if you associated the title with Daft Punk, otherwise nine.

as a person not living in the US, over the last few years i have noticed that of most of the mind numbing hypno box content that is pushed out of there, it is increasingly aimed at people with short attention spans.

this leads me to ask myself questions like, what effect do televison shows that are made to appeal to short attention spans, actually have on attention spans?

for example, shows such as enews give but seconds to each scene before switching, and not much more time to the actual overal concept of any particular piece of news. i imagine this is to keep viewers attention, but what long term side effects would this contribute to?

in real life, hours, days or weeks (or longer!) pass by as related events naturally progress. in televison this is much quicker of course. however, as i mentioned, the stuff from the US of late takes it to a whole new level.

has anyone else noticed this i wonder?

(while im on the subject of comparing stuff from the US, all the food stuffs produced there are sickly sweet compared to what i normally eat locally)
    Last edited by mhc; 06-30-2014 at 06:05 PM.
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    ENTP
    Last week I was at a B&B with my girlfriend, and we met an interesting older couple. The husband told me a story about a business venture, where he once was working with an executive at Fox. Being the astute observer of business this man was, he asked the Fox executive "What do you sell? - what's your product?"

The answer?

"Access to a mesmerized audience."

The purpose of television, from a business standpoint, is to hypnotize the viewer, and sell that mindstate to advertisers. That is literally the purpose of it. To that end, skilled television producers have continually refined the art of keeping people mesmerized in large numbers.

There's really no mystery to it.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    iNtP
    attention is a complicated process, but also the result of adaption to ones environment. if ones environment consists of a large amount of television, i imagine that ones attention would adapt to suit. one of the problems with a short attention span is the ease at which one can easily be distracted from things such as the larger picture, or what is going on around them while they are not paying attention.

i am curious to know if an audience where continually subjected to methods of distraction to keep attention, such as what is used in television, would that have longer or farther reaching consequences into other aspects of the viewers life.

The purpose of television, from a business standpoint, is to hypnotize the viewer, and sell that mindstate to advertisers
    i guess this shows why some businesses spend more money on advertising than they do on any other aspect of their business. i mean, everyone knows what a hypnotist is capable of doing to someone right..

Perhaps the link between financially disadvantaged people and junk food could be linked to the amount of television watched
    Last edited by mhc; 06-30-2014 at 07:24 PM.
    Just look at the blue sky