Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems of philosophy, or language puzzles?

Type
    xxxx

Problems of philosophy, or language puzzles?

I was gifted Wittgenstein's Poker, which detailed a heated confrontation between Wittgenstein and Popper. The book talked at length about the circumstances surrounding the intellectual fight but seldom touched upon the ideas themselves (might talk about it later on but I'm impatient). So the big question is:

Are there genuine problems in philosophy, or is philosophy just a series of language games?
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    INxP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    Are there genuine problems in philosophy, or is philosophy just a series of language games?
    lol ... great question.

But is it a genuine question, or just another language game?

Type
    xxxx
    /thread

Type
    xxxx
    Really though I've always thought, almost intuitively, that it was just language games. In contrast, there are no problems in maths that cannot be attributed to human error - that is because mathematics is a completely logical language. I just want to hear an argument from people who believe that there are genuine philosophical problems.

Type
    INTP
    What's the distinction between a genuine problem and a language game?

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    Really though I've always thought, almost intuitively, that it was just language games. In contrast, there are no problems in maths that cannot be attributed to human error - that is because mathematics is a completely logical language. I just want to hear an argument from people who believe that there are genuine philosophical problems.
    I think though a reduction of philosophy to language games is just a point of departure. Once you know everything is a language game then the process of understanding what games there are and how to avoid letting them dominate your thinking I such a way that you can ythink clearly.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Well...as usual, it depends.

The whole continental/analytical thing...Fuck that.

But for instance, the question of what kind of life one should live. I find it hard to argue that such isn't a "real problem", or that it isn't philosophy.

/i would also say that modern "academic" philosophy is probably best ignored...
    Last edited by ACow; 12-25-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Type
    xxxx
    This is just my interpretation...

Take a theological debate.

Now start with the axiom everything exists as it is.

A theory positing or denouncing the existence and impositions of God explains nothing when everything exists as it is, since everything lies open to view.

Philosophical problems are merely extraneous creations which have been set up as something to "solve", when really there is no need to develop a philosophical theory.

Derrida said something about philosophy being the unnecessary inflexion of thinking, I think that is relevant.

Type
    INTP
    I guess I take a reductionist view, in that all philosophical problems can be reduced to scientific problems. Scientific problems tend to reduce to insufficient data or an insufficient or flawed model.

Type
    INTP
    The way I see it, you can do metaphysics using language in much the same way that you can do physics using math.