Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Musical Laziness

Type
    xNxx

Musical Laziness

I am looking for ways to be as lazy as possible and create music.

Quality is not a big concern. The results need to be just on the original side of copyright law, or not if it's a good enough idea.

I am primarily looking for techniques.

Pan_Sonic_000
    Loop a vocal sample over a repetitive bass drum rhythm.
    Toss in some hi-hats from time to time.
    Clap snare.
    Sloppy rapper, slurring.

Profit.

You can do it, Stuckster. I believe in you.

Type
    INFP
    Record yourself sleeping and call it avant-garde.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    xNxx
    weezy is not particularly lazy. warhol kinda lazy.

Strum through the same 2 chord pattern and just blather whatever nonsense comes to the top of your head.

Type
    xNxx
    Playing the guitar in that song is the equivalent of working in a salt mine: I like it!

It's not strictly lazy in the sense that it takes physical effort, but it's mentally, emotionally, culturally lazy.

"The second disc contains the notorious "Contractual Obligation" session – thirty-one improvised nonsense songs Morrison recorded in order to fulfill his contract with Bang Records."

That I would feel the salt mine before learning about the particulars of the song: a triumph of art. However, it felt to me like Van Morrison is the asshole. Who's the asshole? They fronted him money, I'm sure. Is contract law the asshole? If you look around and can't figure out who the asshole in the room is, it must be you.

Type
    INFP
    Sing like J Mascis

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Or Wesley Willis.

Type
    IXTP
    Write up a program that will generate music for you. Give it some sample songs to start off with, and have it create something that is musically similar.

You could also hook up a bunch of probes to your head and record your brainwaves as you're sleeping. Then you can set up a midi program to be triggered off of certain brainwave patterns or amplitudes. You would have something different every night, unless you had the same dream every night.

A random number generator would be even easier. Four numbers representing pitch, length, volume and time to next tone.

But why reinvent the wheel?