Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Day Work Week

Type
    XXXX

Four Day Work Week

I've seen this mentioned in the New York Times, The Economist, and Forbes. Why hasn't it happened? It should be federally enforced in my opinion. One, to call attention to the severity of climate change. Two, reduce emission from commute, etc. Three, allow the devotion of time to sustainable projects: Tear up lawns, plant gardens, promote community work projects, etc.
    Last edited by Makers; 07-08-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Buy my book

Type
    intp
    I feel passionately about this as well. Once upon a time, I had a 12hX4d job. Was a thing of beauty. I didn't even mind Mondays at the time. 3 days off felt like enough, 4 days on felt just right, and 12 hours a day didn't feel any different than 8 - 9 as once your day is broken up by 8 or 9, another few hours doesn't really make a difference in what you're going to be able to do after work. Another day of full freedom makes a huge difference.

However, I suspect the infrastructure change to actually allow this to happen as a standard would be near insurmountable.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    However, I suspect the infrastructure change to actually allow this to happen as a standard would be near insurmountable.
    What infastructure change? We just stay home, don't grow.

Buy my book

Type
    INTP
    Our office makes use of compressed time, with 9h days and every second Friday off. Seems more manageable than 12 hour days, though fewer hours altogether would be peachy.

I can dig it.

Type
    INTP
    My old employer started doing this, and I jumped on it working 4dx10h. That Friday was glorious. As Stig said, the added length to your day didnt make much difference, although it was noticeable. It was so worth it.

From a business standpoint, it isnt really that smart, typically. In my experience, when you show up to work on Monday morning, the week's workload isnt just sitting there waiting to be done. It trickles in throughout the week, and if you stay at work until 7 on Thursday evening to finish your 40 hours, youre not going to get around to whatever pops up on Friday until Monday morning. Sometimes stuff is time-sensitive.

In my company we all had been cross-trained and were able to cover for each other so it worked out alright, but even still, for most people, there is a point of diminishing returns wherein at some marginal hour you become less efficient/sharp.

I dont know why I'm arguing that side though. I would do it again immediately without question.

I'd rather just do 32. did that for awhile at an old employer. had fridays off. it was awesome.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by El D. View Post
    From a business standpoint, it isnt really that smart, typically.

Yea, I think the business standpoint needs to go out the window. There are much, much larger considerations.

Buy my book

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    Yea, I think the business standpoint needs to go out the window. There are much, much larger considerations.
    Not to an employer.

Type
    XXXX
    Then the employer also needs to go out the window.

Buy my book