Thread: On Introversion and Why The World Needs You!

Type
    iNtP

On Introversion and Why The World Needs You!

Just for a moment i want to speculate.

Wikipedia generalizes Introversion and Extraversion as:
    Extraversion tends to be manifested in outgoing, talkative, energetic behavior, whereas introversion is manifested in more reserved and solitary behavior.
    Actually, i have changed my mind, rather than speculate, i would like you to consider something along the lines (hello my intuitive friends!) of this:

If you felt your point of view, or what you felt about something would not be well received, would you say it, or think about the consequences and than not say it?
    if on the other hand, you knew your fellow peers would be accepting and reciprocate acceptance, would you just say it, without contemplating the consequences?

if there is one thing humans are good at, it is forming habits. with that in mind, if your brains good reward system was continually activated every time you spoke your mind without first self analysis, what cause would you have to change? likewise, if you formed a habit of continually self critiquing everything your about to say, after a learned response of non-peer acceptance, would it be hard to change?

i guess what i am implying (ok im going to speculate after all) is that introversion is a learned trait from rejection. so, why then dont peers like to hear what we have to say? get ready for it: most people do not like to hear the truth

Apart from peer rejection, there is also that a lot of introverts dont like to cause angst for their fellow peers. why? because they are highly compassionate, empathetic, caring human beings who value the human mental well being of their fellow peers above materialistic things or self gain. In today's world this has been labelled as something like poorly developed emotional responses.

The world is currently experiencing is a decline in vocalization of intellectuals, or people that are capable of seeing the bigger picture.

For the introvert, the world has already shunned them. those thoughts in your head, that is the sound of rejection.

so read this again
    Extraversion tends to be manifested in outgoing, talkative, energetic behavior, whereas introversion is manifested in more reserved and solitary behavior.
    and remember it next time you habitually decide not to speak your mind.

If no one questions anything, anyone can get away with anything, but the darker it gets, the brighter even the faintest light seems.

(tip: just don't become too opinionated, the pig doesn't want to be made aware of the fact its rolling in shit, its too happy, and you will only get your shoes dirty in trying! rather fence it in and confine it, lest it turn the whole world into its muck pit.)
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    INTP
    Read: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain. She discusses physiologic bases for introversion.

I'm a strong introvert. I've never been "shunned" by the world, nor do I feel rejected. I'm just outwardly quiet even when my mind is racing. And, I generally don't care what people think about me or my ideas. I have absolutely no control over what people think--I have my volition and they have theirs.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevenin View Post
    Read: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain. She discusses physiologic bases for introversion.
    If you just want the Cliff's Notes, she did an enjoyable TED talk:

Type
    iNtP
    It sounds like you are confident and self accepting. However, i am sure that alot of introverts, especially ones who do not share the same confidence or lack of care in what others think as you, find it difficult. More so, problems relating to self identity can arise when the externalizations are not inline with internal thoughts. examples of this can be seen where people say things that they dont think are true or right, for fear of causing unrest (extremes of this can materialize as not speaking at all - or very little).

in any case, i am not advocating that you can not be an introvert and happy, content or self accepting, but rather i am saying it is important to say what you think.

@Rhu thanks for the link!

Type
    intp
    Some bitterness might come through here, as this resonates with my current situation.

I have been considering the implications of "choosing my battles" vs. correcting obviously inaccurate, often harmful statements. In my "natural habitat" I would tend toward the latter more consistently, but right now I am staying in my parents' house and interacting with their community. Sometimes I think that I underestimate members of the community, that maybe they are more willing to hear me out than I assume, but it's a tricky negotiation.

I do not think I would be oppressed in any real sense, however I grew up with these people and I don't wish to inadvertantly insult them. I would probably have some verbal battles with my parents, but nothing that wouldn't blow over. The greatest burden would be to persist in conversations with people who don't respect me enough to hear out my opinions. If I had tended toward extroversion from the beginning, I don't think it would be an issue. People would already expect me to challenge statements, and maybe fewer members of the community would be excited for my return. It's a sad irony of my life that my introversion attracts the "friends" that drain my social energy the most.

Generally those who have accused me of "emotional arguments" have pushed me into anger by persisting with empirically incorrect statements. Sometimes I envy them their confidence that empowers them to blatantly disregard and interrupt my researched statements and painstakingly considered analogies.

I'm considering taking the approach of Seven of Nine in any disagreements from this point on. My statements would be too short to interrupt, and I could do with fewer "friends."

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    For some reason, I never found like my introversion made it easy to found friends. It's curious that other INTPs have reported that this hasn't been an issue.

This isn't related to introversion per se, but I'm more cooperative than competitive in the way I interact I with people, and sometimes, even to this day, I run into the issue of that making me an easy target for trolls and bullies. Now I don't give them the satisfaction anymore, though. Nobody is entitled to my attention.

I am practicing saying what I think more, after being reluctant about it for all of my twenties. I find it pretty enjoyable, actually, the practice I'm getting. (I do it both her and in real life). People I respect can usually handle it, I've found.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 07-10-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Type
    iNtP
    I often hear the words, "i don't care", to which i reply, when you don't care, people that do care, get what they want.

I think it is important also, to analyse the precursor to the thought "i don't care". obviously any multitude of perceptions could have preceded the notion that "i don't care". but i will list a few from the top of my head:

that looks like fun
    they/he/she look's happy doing that
    i feel sad
    i don't seem to get what i want
    everyone else is doing this

to seem unbiased, i have tried to think of a positive conclusion that could precede the desire of not caring, i am struggling to do so.

its hot
    its cold
    I'm poor
    i am rich??

What is worse than determining to not care however, is aligning yourself with that notion after hearing it in your head enough times. for when you don't care, what motivation do you have to do anything? this is also a testament to how powerful thoughts are.

i would like to speculate again, on the confusion of mind and the realisation of body. with impaired judgment, one could come to the conclusion that with a feeling of rejection, our peers must be thinking "i don't care", after all, surely if you knew someone felt rejected, you would try and do something to help, right? when a human, who desires companionship constantly feels rejected by their peers, but continually hears these thoughts in their head which seems to reflect or "understand" whats going on around them, what do they do? much like a puppy, the person becomes BFF with the thoughts. after all, they understand how they feel when no one else seems to. thats right, what i am hinting at is the anthropomorphisation of ones own thoughts. a lifetime of this, with the minds logical ability to determine that thoughts are non existence in reality, leaves the individual concluding that they are themselves the thoughts.

now you see, when you think you don't care, what kind of world or life do you think you are setting up for yourself?

Type
    iNtP
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    It's a sad irony of my life that my introversion attracts the "friends" that drain my social energy the most.
    Filtering who you let into your life - or how much attention you devote to people - is one of the biggest challenges in life. Not filtering people or misguiding your attention can be detrimental to oneself

this is what the people you refer to here

Sometimes I envy them their confidence that empowers them to blatantly disregard and interrupt my researched statements and painstakingly considered analogies.
    are doing.

there could be two things two consider.

1) is it worth entertaining these people

and

2) if you have to indulge people, ask yourself what you can do to make these people pay attention to you (obviously non-destructively of course). remember, not everyone values logical conclusions, or any idea for that matter - as much as another person.

it is also worth remembering - even giving negative attention - is still giving attention