Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Bipolar/ Mood Swings

  1. #1
    Senior Member Makers's Avatar
    Type
    XXXX
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    2,131

    Bipolar/ Mood Swings

    If Bipolar is a thing, I'm not sure I don't have it. In the past I've been able to stabilize my moods to some extent through a good diet and exercise, but lately I've been neglecting both on account of external circumstances. Then, moments ago, I felt a semblance of hope and tried to wildly convey the feeling to my family, who've had to endure my wave of melancholy over the past week. The melancholy has been a source of tension at times too, because my mom and dad have told me snap out of it when I don't feel like I can. I feel bad about this fact and want to prevent it; however, I wonder if it's possible or that, perhaps, my brain is wired in such as to make flights an inevitable occurrence.

    For the record, I refuse counseling, pills, etc., only pausing to consider the treatments for the sake of those around me, but most the time I'm alone. Also, I’m hesitant to call it a disorder. My brain is the most natural thing to me, and disorder seems to imply that it's unnatural. Maybe, a better title would even be "mood swings." I'm a moody person. It's okay, though.

    Does anyone feel as I do? What are your thoughts on Bipolar? Is it different from mood swings? And can it be prevented through selective thinking, diet, and exercise alone?
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

    Buy my book

  2. #2
    Senior Member Starjots's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,511
    It may not be an accurate indicator of your real life situation - but here online you seemed to go through a cycle of idealistic/optimistic to realistic/pessimistic. A glass half full way of looking at this is a learning cycle - absorb what is useful and when you are ready get back on the horse.

    People who are always chipper or totally down in the dumps don't seem to be absorbing new truths - they are stuck for better or worse in their current paradigm. I'm probably exaggerating here in defense of being somewhat moody myself. Anyway, you seem seriously thoughtful, exploring a piece of the great solution space.

  3. #3
    just dont think about it mhc's Avatar
    Type
    iNtP
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    702
    when my thoughts get me down, i try to do stuff so as to lose myself, or forget my current train of thought. often the relief felt once you remember what your previous thoughts where beforehand is just the break needed to help you make changes to your situation.

    motivation is the key, i always say doing anything is 5% work, and 95% motivation. the question is, how much will you make yourself endure before you find the motivation to make the changes you need

    also, from what i have read:

    What are your thoughts on Bipolar? Is it different from mood swings? yes
    And can it be prevented through selective thinking, diet, and exercise alone? yes
    Just look at the blue sky

  4. #4
    凸(ಠ_ರೃ )凸 stuck's Avatar
    Type
    xNxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,138
    I'm very sensitive to exercise and diet. I notice it more as I get older, and think back to the atrocities I committed on myself in my 20s- sedentary, drinking coffee and eating doughnuts at 3 in the morning. Holy shit, if I did that these days it'd be worse than heroin withdrawal.

    The best habits I've cultivated that serve as catalysts to other habits- walking, eating raw vegetables for snacks (raw fruit when I need it), drinking green tea, stretching, getting sunlight on my face. Those are things that usually make me feel better in the moment and for a short time afterward.

    I don't think I have bipolar, although my mood swings have been subjectively pretty bad before.

  5. #5
    Hasta Siempre Madrigal's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maņana
    Posts
    9,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    Does anyone feel as I do? What are your thoughts on Bipolar? Is it different from mood swings?
    I have those once a month...

    Anyway, I live with someone who has been diagnosed as bipolar and borderline (maybe it's neither, who knows), and I think she's better off when she's not on pills. The pills complicate things immensely. Suddenly, everything is all about the pills. Their cycles, how to calibrate the right doses, their side-effects, etc. It's not all about pills. It's mostly all about your life. There are things, current realities and past experiences, that pills aren't going to fix for you. I'm not even saying they will be fixed at all, but pills won't fix your life for you. I'm sort of a peasant when it comes to modern medicine though.

    At least you should try to exhaust other alternatives before turning to pills. If someone thinks radical lifestyle changes (like diet, exercise and sleep) will make a big difference, there's no reason not to devote your energies to at least trying that first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

  6. #6
    chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    shrubland
    Posts
    8,670
    i go through major mood & energy swings when i'm in school full-time to the point where i have wondered if i'm bipolar or something (now that i'm out of school, i really don't think so), which is why i'm kinda scared to go back. something about the schedule irregularity and immense mental strain of multitasking on 5 classes, producing work for all those classes, being involved in groups, etc. does really, really bad things to my brain, and it's honestly torture if it continues for any extended period of time.

    i think taking little vacations from stuff is really important. a good diet, exercise, and adequate, regular sleep will do wonders (for me).

    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    I'm very sensitive to exercise and diet. I notice it more as I get older, and think back to the atrocities I committed on myself in my 20s- sedentary, drinking coffee and eating doughnuts at 3 in the morning. Holy shit, if I did that these days it'd be worse than heroin withdrawal.
    recipe for disaster. i'm disappointed in myself now if i do an all-nighter for any reason.

    @Makers!*
    it's my opinion that good diet, exercise, enough sleep, etc. won't hurt anyone. if you think it's worth treating, try your best to return to those habits and see how you feel.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 07-11-2014 at 12:15 AM.
    chatting on discord

  7. #7
    Tsundoku LordLatch's Avatar
    Type
    INXX
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,776
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    I'm very sensitive to exercise and diet. I notice it more as I get older, and think back to the atrocities I committed on myself in my 20s- sedentary, drinking coffee and eating doughnuts at 3 in the morning. Holy shit, if I did that these days it'd be worse than heroin withdrawal.

    The best habits I've cultivated that serve as catalysts to other habits- walking, eating raw vegetables for snacks (raw fruit when I need it), drinking green tea, stretching, getting sunlight on my face. Those are things that usually make me feel better in the moment and for a short time afterward.

    I don't think I have bipolar, although my mood swings have been subjectively pretty bad before.
    !
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

  8. #8
    Your Huckleberry lethe's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,141
    What made you think bipolar? Threads like this... yeesh
    Don't remember changing this.

  9. #9
    gryffindor Hermione's Avatar
    Type
    Intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Into the Woods
    Posts
    1,256
    You seem more idealist/ melancholy-anxious-depressive (sensitive) to me. But, to me that's a good thing. I relate to that. I feel like I have 'mood swings' only because my normal baseline me is stoic/indifferent/ and yet I will slip into idealist/ depressive, introspective with any provocation. Have had dysthimia for years since I was a kid. It looks like a mood swing type of a thing, but it's actually more of my artist temperament-- and no, I don't have to be a practicing artist to know that I still am one underneath it all. Some things drive me insane, as they should. So many things are horrendous situations and make me want to cry or scream. I wish the rest of the world cared half as much, but there you are.

    I have given up trying to change me and went back to trying to change the world around me, best I can. Works much better that way and when I get depressed (often) I am more apt to take positive action on my own behalf. I see that quality in you, also. We do have to give it time for the steam to build, until we can muster the steam so to speak and take action or change our ideas. That's what growth is, and it's not always pretty irregardless if it worries other people around us. It's as it should be. As an old friend said to me, "it's not easy being you, but you'd probably be bored being otherwise". LOL I loved that one. Quite true. I spent too many years attempting to be normal, as if that were a righteous goal. Now I embrace my eccentricities and am not freaked that I have them. Being someone else would be bleh to me. One thing about you, makers, you are quite the individualist and that is also not an easy path to take. But, if it's yours you have to take it anyway.

    It's a goot topic for discussion, too. Handling our emotions sucks srsly, and any perspective we get is undoubtedly helpful.
    Last edited by Hermione; 07-11-2014 at 12:50 AM.
    All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage. Mycroft Holmes

    I am not programmed to harm human beings. Baymax

  10. #10
    No Blorg's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    near Lidl
    Posts
    4,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    If Bipolar is a thing, I'm not sure I don't have it. In the past I've been able to stabilize my moods to some extent through a good diet and exercise, but lately I've been neglecting both on account of external circumstances. Then, moments ago, I felt a semblance of hope and tried to wildly convey the feeling to my family, who've had to endure my wave of melancholy over the past week. The melancholy has been a source of tension at times too, because my mom and dad have told me snap out of it when I don't feel like I can. I feel bad about this fact and want to prevent it; however, I wonder if it's possible or that, perhaps, my brain is wired in such as to make flights an inevitable occurrence.

    For the record, I refuse counseling, pills, etc., only pausing to consider the treatments for the sake of those around me, but most the time I'm alone. Also, I’m hesitant to call it a disorder. My brain is the most natural thing to me, and disorder seems to imply that it's unnatural. Maybe, a better title would even be "mood swings." I'm a moody person. It's okay, though.

    Does anyone feel as I do? What are your thoughts on Bipolar? Is it different from mood swings? And can it be prevented through selective thinking, diet, and exercise alone?
    Mood swings yeah, bipolar no (I assume-- never asked what my official psychiatrist's diagnosis was/if I got one). I've seen how severe it is or can be-- it fits what I thought schizophrenia would look like (based on wikipedia). Not to trivialize my mood swings-- life sux Just sucks in an unlabeled way.

    Malnutrition played/plays a role in my mood problems, and the therapist basically said that it's hard to sort out the causes/effects but that's probably more of an effect than a root problem. obviously it's hard to find "solutions" that have net benefits. I'd hazard a guess that things that can kill you easily are a bad starting point if you want to keep your long-term options open (though who's to judge if you don't), while (as you say) eating well/exercising are probably good ideas. They probably won't cure something like bipolar disorder, if that's what's causing your problems, but neither can medications in some cases, and anyway they can't hurt.

    Therapy (at least the kind I did) was useless, made me feel powerless and hated, but I'm shooting myself for going off the medications. It's like when I had a cold and I thought "I'd be willing to get a bone-chilling flu if only my nose would clear out" but then when you actually do get the flu you realize, yeah, the cold was a step up even though the snivels (side effects) got annoying. So I'm eating lots of banana peels. As we speak. You should do the same because they boost serotonin.
    Last edited by Blorg; 07-11-2014 at 12:47 AM. Reason: last edit: weird tone removed

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •