Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Books you plan to read

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Books you plan to read

What do you have on your near-future reading list? Report here. And why it is here. Also report when you actually start it.

I have four books on a near future read:

The Romantic Revolution by Tim Blanning. Romanticism pervades so much of the interpretation of 19th century history, particularly intellectual history. And its divergence from Enlightenment philosophy explains a lot about the continuing philosophical and perspectival divisions between 'creatives', graphic designer types and engineers - between the sciences and the arts - between both classical and modern liberalism and conservatism. It also explains by nationalism has become to 'imagined community' de jure. This book seems like a good overview of a movement that always seems liminally touched upon and not explicated. Primarily I think because its adherents abhorred the kind of clean thinking and categorisation of classical Enlightenment thinking.

Human Evolution by Robin Dunbar. Again, this is a topic which whilst covered as part of other discussions is one I have never read through in an overview and gained a good high-level picture of. I'm hoping that I will have a greater facility with the species that make up the natural history of humanity and also understand the kind of timeline of pressures and how that implicates on modern thinking about human nature.

Brazil: The Troubled Rise of a Global Power by Michael Reid, this a journalistic approach to the history of Brazil with a focus on the cultural aspects, made to cover the gap in English of any good material solely focused on that from the perspective of the country in question, especially as it becomes a more important economic power.

Java 8 Lambdas by Richard Warburton - an update with information on the use of lambda functions in the new Java SE. Will be interesting to ponder on the new functionality and give examples which will be of an aid to form a pattern for the application of functional programming concepts in my everyday programming.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INtP
    The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee--It's marketed as being a great non-fiction account of the history of cancer. I saw it in a bookstore but haven't actually purchased it. A family member is fighting advanced cancer right now so anything related to that topic catches my attention in an unusual way now.

Societal egress and ennui Catoptric's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I have a ton of books (that I'm unable to currently list on here), but I did just find this pdf:

11/22/63 by Stephen King

I'm going to be interviewing today at the Hilton (in a conference center), which is the same location JFK had been, prior to leaving Ft. Worth for Dallas (on that date). It didn't occur to me that Stephen King wrote a book on a JFK theme until I typed in the date on Google.

Type
    INTP
    Capital in the 21st Century: This has caused a lot of stir in the area of economics. Two things appeal to me about what I think is in this book: (1) It appears to reinforce what I believe already and (2) It provides proof.

The Perfect Theory: A book about scientists exploring the implications of general relativity. I like historical treatments, I like general relativity and the book has great reviews from those who have read it.

Automate This: How Algorithms Came to Rule the World: $2.95 today on audible, why not.

Fiction: I like to balance fiction with non-fiction, just don't have any picked out yet.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee--It's marketed as being a great non-fiction account of the history of cancer. I saw it in a bookstore but haven't actually purchased it. A family member is fighting advanced cancer right now so anything related to that topic catches my attention in an unusual way now.
    I've read that. It is among other things an excellent account of how medical science and its priorities have changes over the years, and what you might call the political sociology of cancer - and their interactions with the basic science underpinning them.

It's kind of depressing though. One of the chief arguments made is that the 'war against cancer' is essentially ineffective - despite our inflated sense of the skill of modern medicine in prolonging life, probably more directly linked to disinfectants, antibiotics, sanitation and nutrition - without proper preventative treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    The Perfect Theory: A book about scientists exploring the implications of general relativity. I like historical treatments, I like general relativity and the book has great reviews from those who have read it.
    I might add this to my list. There is something depressing about reading about theories which you doubt you are intelligent enough to ever properly understand, which kind of puts me off, however.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    I might add this to my list. There is something depressing about reading about theories which you doubt you are intelligent enough to ever properly understand, which kind of puts me off, however.
    I'm pretty sure I'm not intelligent enough to grasp general relativity either, if nothing else because of the perspective problem that guy in the Special Relativity class (your thread) so elegantly explained in lecture 1. Seems to become an exercise in math for all but the most intuitive/gifted/whatever.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not intelligent enough to grasp general relativity either, if nothing else because of the perspective problem that guy in the Special Relativity class (your thread) so elegantly explained in lecture 1. Seems to become an exercise in math for all but the most intuitive/gifted/whatever.
    Exactly that. I think I could use it and apply it algorithmically. But that isn't really what physics is about. Grasping curvature in spacetime is pretty hard.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Exactly that. I think I could use it and apply it algorithmically. But that isn't really what physics is about. Grasping curvature in spacetime is pretty hard.
    Your avatar speaks of a profound reality, dose it not?

At least you are gifted with a strong mathematical aptitude, like Einstein, to make the attempt. Whereas, my grasp is mostly flexed by feeble intuitive tendons. The concepts (shown countless times by sources such as your avatar) that the speed of light is constant for all observers and nothing but light can travel c, are my foundational bedrock.

Maybe because I'm not mathematically gifted am I able to so easily cast aside the Newtonian Cosmos of beautiful simplicity embodied in F=ma, and accept that this formula must be twisted around a Lorentz curve

to arrive at the simple profundity of E=mc2.

The only real valuable thing is intuition. ~ Albert Einstein
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    Maybe because I'm not mathematically gifted am I able to so easily cast aside the Newtonian Cosmos of beautiful simplicity embodied in F=ma, and accept that this formula must be twisted around a Lorentz curve
    to arrive at the simple profundity of E=mc2.

The only real valuable thing is intuition. ~ Albert Einstein
    Look at here, which by the way is (in some ways) the more natural factor to be calculating the effects on your own inertial frame anyway. That factor is actually more geometrically beautiful than it may seem.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Look at here, which by the way is (in some ways) the more natural factor to be calculating the effects on your own inertial frame anyway. That factor is actually more geometrically beautiful than it may seem.
    Awesome.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein