Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bits of information that should be important but for whatever reasons aren't

Type
    iNtP

Bits of information that should be important but for whatever reasons aren't

Days of the week. Since I do shift work and cycle through a roster which staggers my days off, more often than not I am not entirely sure what day it is.

Other peoples birthdays: I have struggled with this my whole life. I don't mean remembering them each year, for most of my family and friends I would not have a clue to what day there birthday is

My age: I find my self having to calculate my age on the spot nowadays based on the year I was born to the current date
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    eNTP
    My bank account number. I knew my first bank account number. But I've had a couple now, and I don't quite remember it. I remember most of it, but then, over the course of 15 years using it, I'd expect to remember at least a few digits from muscle memory alone.

The current month. It keeps changing. I can usually figure out what day of the month it is through triangulating from known events (though if nothing interesting happens, I'm fucked), but the month is shakier.

What's worse than that though, is that if I remember the month, I only remember the name. I don't have a strong association of the name to the number though, so when writing dates, I'm always counting on my fingers. I start having to count in February. I might actually be counting in January, but I don't end up using a finger for it.

My age is slippery too. I certainly don't remember anyone else's.

I don't know my license plate number. I know my driver's license number, but not the plate number.

I don't know my insurance policy numbers either.

I don't know where all the insurance policy notes are.

There are a couple three PINS associated with government accounts that I can't remember.

I don't remember the name of the first girl I kissed. Or the second. I have no idea what the number is of the names I do remember.

I don't remember the name of the girl I was thinking about the day I was hit by a car. I think I've got good reason for that. Clearly, her identity was knocked out of my head.

I don't remember what my first dog looked like.

I don't remember when I was first able to read, though I do remember the title of the first book I enjoyed. Or rather, I remember it was a "Mrs. Piggle Wiggle" book. And it was followed by "Amelia Bedilia".

I don't remember the name of my favorite math teacher prior to college. She was old. Old enough to be teaching algebra to the grandchildren of former students. I remember in the second year I had her (I got lucky and she taught me for both years of middle school), her daughter died in a mountain climbing accident. I remember not knowing what to say when my teacher returned to work, but feeling it was very important to say something. And I remember the look in her eyes telling me I was right.

But I don't remember her name.

I'm sure I've forgotten some important promises, but I don't remember what they were.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    intp
    Damn Heph! Time to see a doc?

I don't know my own mobile phone number without looking it up in the settings.
    I don't know any account numbers. Are you kidding me?
    I don't know the passwords for the 3 or 4 accounts I'm sure I'm going to need to login to online for the first time in over 6 months sometime in the near future. Nor probably some of the ones I've had my browser set to remember for the past million years.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by mhc View Post
    Days of the week. Since I do shift work and cycle through a roster which staggers my days off, more often than not I am not entirely sure what day it is.

Other peoples birthdays: I have struggled with this my whole life. I don't mean remembering them each year, for most of my family and friends I would not have a clue to what day there birthday is

My age: I find my self having to calculate my age on the spot nowadays based on the year I was born to the current date
    Still exploring the N - S dichotomy I see.

It is all based on how someone 'collects data'. M-B after Jung states that, if you are strongly N - S polarized, then you will mostly rely on one approach to collect data from the external world, and in a weaker inverse way, suss your internal realm.

For the strongly S polarized, believing is seeing... or smelling, hearing, tasting, and touching. Or other sense often overlooked like the passage of time.

In Christian Mythology, Thomas is only swayed as to the reality of Resurrection by putting his finger through the nail-hole in Jesus' hand.

NPs read the unspoken words between the lines. Revel in the implied connections that can be deduced. See zoology in the clouds and not just billowing puffs of steam.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    Damn Heph! Time to see a doc?
    Oh? Does he know the name of my old math teacher? That would be awesome!

I'll ask at my next checkup.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    I never remember phone numbers anymore. Not my own or anyone else's, but that's easy to explain since it's commonplace now for phone numbers to be literally stored in the devices people use to make phone calls.

Birthdays--yeah I suck at this. Unless you're me or my son, you're simply going to have to remind me what your birthday is.

I do know my social security number. Not my bank account numbers. I recently switched ATM PIN's for the first time in years (mostly because I couldn't figure out how to change the one on my newest bank account to the one I'd always used), and that's going OK so far, but is tenuous. I screw up at least one digit pretty regularly.

I find I never need to actually provide a bank account number in situations where I won't otherwise have documents containing it handy anyway, though. Things like that tend to only warrant memory space if I would have to frequently inconvenience myself to look them up.

Of course, I do still remember exactly what 69 to the 4th power is--because this was involved in a running joke I had with a friend in my 9th grade geometry class 17 years ago. Apparently things being amusing for extremely juvenile reasons works just as well as them being functionally useful in making them memorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I don't remember the name of the first girl I kissed. Or the second. I have no idea what the number is of the names I do remember.
    Haha. Well, I would never forget that, they haven't been that many. But the first guy was named Jose, and I may well have forgotten it due to the simple fact I never saw him again, but we had gotten drunk on Jose Cuervo that night, so it stuck. He was an artist I met on the street on my way to a birthday party and the tequila was the present. I never got to the party and I never delivered the present.

I don't remember the name of my favorite math teacher prior to college.
    I remember the name of almost all my primary and secondary school teachers and principals. Sometimes I have to think back a bit but it usually comes to me. Some exceptions are teachers who received nicknames, so I only remember their nicknames. I also remember the name of classmates I didn't even interact with, all the way back to primary school. It's weird that I remember these names, considering how hard it is to retain names in the present.

I always thought it was weird when people would say they don't remember entire phases of their lives, particularly in their childhood. But now I think that memories are mostly geographical; they're attached to places. So when you move around a lot, memories are consolidated more. It's hard to confuse how old you were when you did a certain thing. The place and people give it away.

I was a little shocked to learn recently that there is a stretch of three or so years that my mind has suppressed quite effectively, it's a huge blur. It was during the last years of my longest relationship. Aside from that missing chunk, it's kind of surprising when I stop to think about all the things that I did or went through in life which I retain vivid memories of. You don't really feel like all that much is going on in the present. On the contrary, there is a constant feeling of wasting your life away. Maybe this happens to everybody. OTOH I had an ex who used to say I always had a weird story about everything. (Ironically, I liked him because he was completely normal and unsurprising.) It is possible that life has just been fucking weird.
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    Seeing certain movies. Not that the movies themselves are that important. I'm guessing they're not since I can't remember seeing them, but something that has happened to me on several occasions is someone will compare one film to another and I'll say "I never saw that movie." And then they'll tell me that we saw it together. I have no memory of any part of these movie watching experiences. Even if I can't remember what happened in the film you would think I would remember that I watched it... or at least a movie with a person.

And yeah... phone numbers, account numbers, birthdays, names... all of that stuff I might forget. I'll randomly be good about remember something though. I have no idea why. I can remember the license plate number of a guy I dated in high school (at the time... I'm sure it has probably changed by now), but I can't remember my own. That's probably creepy right? Why do I remember that?

Conversations is another one. People tell me all the time that I said certain things that I don't remember saying... but it will sound like a misinterpreted translation of something I might say... so I'll have to be like "I don't know why I would say that... maybe I meant to say this?" But they'll insist that's what I said and I can't really argue because I can't remember.

But then sometimes I'll remember a conversation in crazy detail. What people were wearing and exact quotes and where people sat/stood.

Type
    iNtP
    things i buy with intention's of doing something with them.

every now and then when i am sifting through a cupboard or something or other, i will come across something i have purchased that was meant to play a part in some idea i had of completing, to which i had totally forgotten about. and its not just the object that i forget about - usually the idea only comes back to me when i see whatever it is i have come cross that was linked to the idea. as a result, i have tried to make a habit of always putting things away in the most logical spot and not "just out of the way", else i will have no idea down the track where said thing is - that's even it it comes back to mind at all.

with all that in mind, generally i leave things out in plain sight if i want to make sure i use them. even then, whatever it is may remain in the same spot, untouched for long periods of time, seemingly becoming invisible after awhile.
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    INTP
    My age is slippery too. I certainly don't remember anyone else's.
    This is a good thing to know that people forget. I've been uncertain of my age and it seemed really bad, then over the years I read about it happening to three or four other relatively young people.

The Heimlich maneuver is more important though. Sometimes I forget whether the fist goes over or under the navel. I think it's over. CPR too, but the recommended method changes sometimes.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch