Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Creative work & freelancing

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx

Creative work & freelancing

yeah? no?

i'm trying to learn how to do this smoothly and might need this thread later for stupid questions, even though i probably won't share that much cuz it's kinda embarrassing to stumble so much, like a baby learning how to walk. feel free to share your experience, learn with me, and/or let this thread die.

Type
    INTP
    I have some experiences with this. May have more fairly soon in the future. Anything in particular you want to talk about?

22-25 year old me sucked as a freelancer, though I did scrape by enough to cover my expenses. Older me may be a more successful freelancer. You never know.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Anything in particular you want to talk about?
    i struggle with understanding a lot of the legal shit. i may get the hang of this sooner than i think, but right now a lot of things are still really weird and mysterious to me.

yesterday i wrote my first contract hahahahahah. i just feel confusion and a little shame.

i just bought this book so hard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    i struggle with understanding a lot of the legal shit. i may get the hang of this sooner than i think, but right now a lot of things are still really weird and mysterious to me.

yesterday i wrote my first contract hahahahahah. i just feel confusion and a little shame.

i just bought this book so hard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Sounds like a good start.

Type
    xxxx
    any sort of experience or advice regarding negotiating deals as a creative freelancer would be great. it just feels so risky and most people don't wanna pay a lot for art. the thing is, you wanna help all freelancers in your field and help yourself, and make sure the work that's being produced stays good, which means you wanna charge at a fair rate that doesn't drive down the quality. the money stuff is intimidating and scary (and maybe i'm too honest).
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 07-23-2014 at 06:08 AM.

Type
    xNxx
    Cut yourself a generous hourly rate and ask for that. Figure out how long it takes to do things, add materials, and there you have it.

Type
    xxxx
    ^ in illustration a lot of the time you're essentially selling rights to reproduction of your artwork, so charging by the hour when they're using your art whatever number of times on their product doesn't make a lot of sense. though it does make sense to me when someone is commissioning new, original artwork they won't make copies of.

i was advised to always ask for the client's budget to get an estimate of how much time and resources you should reasonably put into the project. also when drafting up the contract to not give them anything more than they offer, basically spelling out their usages, limiting their rights and reserving all other usage for yourself. also to never work without a contract (with rare exceptions), which i've done many times, which is pretty awful.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 07-23-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Type
    IXTP

Scotty has some pretty good advice about time estimates.

Type
    INTP
    http://jessicahische.is/thinkingthoughtsaboutpricing

Also, she has some really good posts about typography and using and choosing type, if you're interested.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hype View Post
    http://jessicahische.is/thinkingthoughtsaboutpricing

Also, she has some really good posts about typography and using and choosing type, if you're interested.
    whoa, it's been a while since i read up about pricing on that page, but it's def bookmarked. this'll make a lot more sense to me now since i had my first experience licensing artwork recently and was pretty lost until i asked a very experienced person wtf to do/consider.

i def wanna learn more about type. i'm taking some graphic design courses soon. i also somewhat regret turning up my nose at gaining some soul-killing corporate work experience in the past when i could've since all that would've helped me now (or maybe just killed me faster, idk). ugh i need better business sense. thanks for posting this-- will browse her work and site.