Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Creative work & freelancing

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    you can refuse projects from bad clients.
    I know I'm not some kind of free-lancer, but in my experience in other fields/professions, once you've gotten out of the "I need money for food" stage of your career, one of the most important and hardest lessons to learn is that you can, NEIGH, you MUST learn to tell people no, turn away work, and be perfectly comfortable watching some work pass you by.

The other way leads to an early grave/burnout. I think both me and the wife have a tendency to take on too much, but its a really important lesson and something to be aware of.

Almost universally, when someone/something realises you can do work at a particular quality/quantity, they don't let up and say "oh, now you can have some free time because you're twice as efficient and I'm getting such a good deal", instead they'll go "oh, so now you can give me twice as much!".

No where will voluntarily stop putting more work on your plate from their demand side until you push back/control those limits (which admittedly is really hard/impossible when starting out). Bosses won't take work away from you until you either say "I can't do this/this isn't happening" or until you have some kind of toxic breakdown.

Type
    INTP
    Not sure if being a blogger is what you call freelancing. It's not really my full time job but it's my side hustle. It makes me about a thousand dollars extra a month through ads and affiliate marketing. I read lots of guides about it first before starting. I know nothing about how to make a website nor starting a blog. I am not a tech person as well. I was advised to create a website using a website builder and I did so using the hPage website builder: https://www.hpage.com (in case you are interested).

Basically tinkered around the site for some time, spent some time getting the hang of creating and editing pages, attaching pictures, and integrating the business features. I also posted articles constantly; like maybe once or twice a day whenever my time allows it. It slowly gained traction and I switched to a paid package (which only cost me 4.99 a month for domain, custom, email and extra features).

Didn't realize it would make THAT much money at first since I started it as a hobby. Now it's my side hustle and if I were to get fired from my job today, earnings from my blog would support me.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    does anyone have experience on freelancing sites like upwork?

i did a search here, @Blorg has mentioned it and the time tracking feature from hell

i'm open to hearing anyone's experiences with upwork and alternatives, and any advice/tips that you'd like to share. what's worked for you?

i'm not expecting it to be fulfilling creatively, but i can see the benefit of seeing tons of jobs and shooting off proposals when i need short-term work.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post

i did a search here, @Blorg has mentioned it and the time tracking feature from hell

i'm open to hearing anyone's experiences with upwork and alternatives, and any advice/tips that you'd like to share. what's worked for you?

i'm not expecting it to be fulfilling creatively, but i can see the benefit of seeing tons of jobs and shooting off proposals when i need short-term work.
    Sorry, no experience, but just chiming in to say I was wondering the same thing. Not for myself, but for someone that's looking for jobs. She's a polyglot (and has a bunch of degrees) but she's currently looking into something with languages and writing/correcting.

I've always been very conservative about freelancing, never taking something that didn't have an accessible office in my town. I'd love to earn more USD but it seems risky to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    I have previously hired people on Upwork to do small jobs (not by choice - I was told to do so). It was never fun. I might still have an account there but I have never used it to get work for myself.. At least with technology, people with work go there looking for cheap and quick international labor - $12/hr programmers, etc (btw, outsourcing programming work for cheap is a severe business mistake).

It seems like you need a very high tolerance for bullshit and extreme patience to ever get to the point where you can be successful on such a service, and I seriously doubt that very many people make significant money there. Especially with Americans who’ll end up paying self-employment taxes on those earnings (so it's like 22% taken by Upwork, then 15.4% self-employment tax, then your federal income tax (varies by bracket) and state taxes on top of that).

Finding even 1 good client locally is worth so much more

https://hackernoon.com/why-you-should-never-use-upwork-ever-5c62848bdf46
    Last edited by notdavidlynch; 04-01-2020 at 11:25 PM.

Type
    xxxx
    I've had friends do upwork successfully. The key is to be the highest priced person, along with plenty of samples to backup credibility. You'll get tire kickers that eventually turn into clients. Otherwise you're competing in a sea of other qualified people.

Type
    INFP

If you just need some casual side income while you wait out a pandemic, I can't recommend online teaching highly enough. I work for VIPKid and I earn 20 - 22 dollars an hour just hanging out and having fun. There's no prep or unpaid labor involved. Feedback consists entirely of positive affirmation. It's the best job I've ever had.

But I know that's probably not what you're looking for. And yes, upwork is a nightmare.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    If you just need some casual side income while you wait out a pandemic, I can't recommend online teaching highly enough. I work for VIPKid and I earn 20 - 22 dollars an hour just hanging out and having fun. There's no prep or unpaid labor involved. Feedback consists entirely of positive affirmation. It's the best job I've ever had.

But I know that's probably not what you're looking for. And yes, upwork is a nightmare.
    thanks! that sounds like a great gig, but i'm not good with kids and probably wouldn't be good at teaching anything i'm qualified in that kids wanna learn.

i thought teaching involved a lot of prep? like coming up with lesson plans, obtaining materials, research etc. i can't see myself in any kind of teaching role without doing tons of prep, at least for myself.

anyway, i made an upwork profile but i'm still torn about actually committing to it. i hear that to be successful there you really have to grind for a while. i think it could work out, but, for good reasons, i'm not excited about the idea of relying on upwork as a middleman and on "wasting" time/energy on something i can't be enthusiastic about. i'm still thinking about it. if i try it, it would start off as an experiment.

i've been thinking more seriously about how great it would be to land a long-term relatively consistent remote job, so a lot of my energy has shifted over to that direction... maybe more companies will be seeing the benefits of going partially or fully remote after all this, so yeah. i hope something happens for me.

edit: i just told my SO to check out VIPKid. he'd be really good at it.

edit2: ok, their website says they're not hiring teachers in california... why?
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 04-03-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Type
    INFP
    thanks! that sounds like a great gig, but i'm not good with kids and probably wouldn't be good at teaching anything i'm qualified in that kids wanna learn.

i thought teaching involved a lot of prep? like coming up with lesson plans, obtaining materials, research etc. i can't see myself in any kind of teaching role without doing tons of prep, at least for myself.
    They do all of that for you. Every lesson is prepared ahead of time, and they're very well-designed!

The only things I had to prepare were props and rewards, but those only required time initially. They can be reused in a lot of different lessons.

anyway, i made an upwork profile but i'm still torn about actually committing to it. i hear that to be successful there you really have to grind for a while. i think it could work out, but, for good reasons, i'm not excited about the idea of relying on upwork as a middleman and on "wasting" time/energy on something i can't be enthusiastic about. i'm still thinking about it. if i try it, it would start off as an experiment.

i've been thinking more seriously about how great it would be to land a long-term relatively consistent remote job, so a lot of my energy has shifted over to that direction... maybe more companies will be seeing the benefits of going partially or fully remote after all this, so yeah. i hope something happens for me.
    What about publicizing your work on instagram and pinterest? I know people get jobs and connections that way, and there are probably gems among the scams (whereas upwork is mostly scam-free, but also mostly minimum wage and exploitative)

edit: i just told my SO to check out VIPKid. he'd be really good at it.

edit2: ok, their website says they're not hiring teachers in california... why?
    I forgot you're from California. This is something that might be a problem for you as a freelancer in general. California passed a law recently to protect freelancers who should really be classified as employees, but it meant that many companies are just choosing to hire from other states since no other states have a law like this. I think there are legal work-arounds but I don't know the details.

Type
    xxxx
    ^ VIPKid sounds great. i'd probably consider it if i wasn't in california.

Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    What about publicizing your work on instagram and pinterest? I know people get jobs and connections that way, and there are probably gems among the scams (whereas upwork is mostly scam-free, but also mostly minimum wage and exploitative)
    self-promotion on platforms like that is time-sucking, calculating and soulless and triggers a depressive spiral for me, but yeah, i still might do it...

i've had more luck contacting ADs and employers directly in the past and ime most people browsing platforms like IG and pinterest aren't able/looking to hire. when i was doing my soapmaking thing i did use IG and pinterest to try to direct traffic to my etsy, but that was way less reliable than in-person sales at events.

i guess i'm just not inclined to use social media generally with huge time commitment and consistency and i doubt my ability to stick to any platforms like upwork, honestly. it's definitely a weakness of mine.

edit: you've got me thinking about IG for networking though and that has worked for me in the past, but personally i still hate the platform... hah

I forgot you're from California. This is something that might be a problem for you as a freelancer in general. California passed a law recently to protect freelancers who should really be classified as employees, but it meant that many companies are just choosing to hire from other states since no other states have a law like this. I think there are legal work-arounds but I don't know the details.
    i actually don't want to freelance anymore, it's a last resort cuz we're in last resort times. since graduating i've only been applying to FT jobs that include health insurance as a benefit. right now i'm also looking at those unicorn jobs that provide benefits and are fully/partially remote. i'm not expecting anything much though and am prepared to "hunker down" like the rest of the world.

i also don't think that law applies to graphic design but i'll have to double-check.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 04-04-2020 at 06:04 PM.