Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: In Vogue Words you love/hate.

In Vogue Words you love/hate.

Selfie - First of all, I hate this word. I place it in the same category as the word panties. ~shiver~

I also hate that taking pictures of oneself has become "a thing". I don't mind people occasionally taking a photo of themselves to share, but making it a thing kind of ruins it. Here's me climbing the pyramids in Egypt? Awesome. Here's me eating lunch, watching TV, eating yogurt? Really? Please stop.

Pwned - Maybe I'm just old, but when people (my kids, for example) use this word, the instinct to correct bad English kicks in. Try Pawned (like in chess).. or Owned.. or Schooled. At least those have metaphorical meaning. Pwned just sounds like a damned self inflicted speech impediment.
    Spoiler: Old
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    LOL.

Um, I've said this before, but "literally".

No, they didn't literally explode in anger. No, you didn't literally shit your pants. No, you can't literally die and then live to tell about it. None of those things literally happened. Fuck you.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I like to say the word 'lol' out loud to make fun of the person using it when I see it. I don't tell them.

I have seen people type it and not heard them laugh.

It is a lie- a lie from the pit of hell!
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    I like to say the word 'lol' out loud to make fun of the person using it when I see it. I don't tell them.

I have seen people type it and not heard them laugh.

It is a lie- a lie from the pit of hell!
    Yeah, I'm probably not lolling when I type it, although I do literally make this face:
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INFP
    Organically- Overused. Because naturally or instinctively doesn't reference that you shop at Whole Foods.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Yeah, I'm probably not lolling when I type it, although I do literally make this face:
    If you film it, it would make a great animated gif for use as a emoticon.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    The word "literally" can be funny when it's used right. My high school English teacher said of an emo actor character who torched the theater he worked in: "He literally brought the house down."
    "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is reality. Your cries do not move me." -- Sistamatic

Type
    INTP
    I really hate 'welp' and 'huzzah'.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post

Pwned - Maybe I'm just old, but when people (my kids, for example) use this word, the instinct to correct bad English kicks in. Try Pawned (like in chess).. or Owned.. or Schooled. At least those have metaphorical meaning. Pwned just sounds like a damned self inflicted speech impediment.
    That's because it is a self-inflicted speech impediment. It's alleged (and plausible, nay probable) lineage is the propinquity of the 'p' and the 'o' keys. Easy to misstroke in the heat of the moment. Then, with alarming swiftness, like 'teh' and 'lol' it transmigrated from text to speech with all the grace of an early text-to-speech program.

I'll insert the obligatory nod toward 'Yolo' existing and wash my hands of it.

I despise the word 'hoodie'. I have a general dislike of baby-talk words entering adult vernacular. It's a fucking hooded sweatshirt, or a hooded shirt. Next we'll start calling anything with a zipper a 'zippie', and we'll be on the brink of confusion that comes up when the words 'pudding' or 'rubber' come out of an Englishman's mouth.

I also dislike the word tummy. I most dislike it when someone else is implying that I have one. I do not. I have a have a stomach, an abdomen, or informally, a belly. I do not have a tummy.

This is probably a good point to note that my Grandma once commented that I had peculiarly distinct aversion to words like 'mommy' or 'daddy' (or there more base equivalents) even as a child young enough to be expected to use such words. Apparently even as a toddler, I was particular about the use of 'mother' and 'father'--though 'mom' and 'dad' eventually became acceptable. I suspect the oppressive desert heat had something to do with it. When words are labored, you become more economical with them.

I despise the spoke forms of 'lol'. When someone says "lawl" or "ell oh ell", I'm sorely tempted to say "contemptuous eyeroll", but it wouldn't be the same because I would actually be doing that. I usually manage to restrain the eyeroll to a mere twitch, but there's something doubly grotesque about speaking such things. It's acceptable in direct, informal writing as a means of showing appreciation for a clever thought, though as latch notes, it's usually a lie. But in spoken form, the lie is more obvious and grotesque.

You did not 'lol'. I know this because I was there, looking at you when you said it. Had you lolled, I would have known. I would have observed it in the same manner I observed you announcing your filthy stinking lie to world.

These people are often the same sort of people who say things like "cry" in public, to other people. Granted the context is the same under which they might use the term in a chatroom, forum, or texting environment, but it just sounds dumb when spoken aloud in a face to face encounter. The most extreme cases are so disjointed from their facial expressions and emotions that they will also announce other things they aren't doing to fill in the gaps their flat affect creates. They say things like "smirk", "grin", or their favorite emoticon summoning string.

Revulsion is an accurate description of how I feel on learning someone is a member of this tribe.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    No, they didn't literally explode in anger. No, you didn't literally shit your pants.
    I had a guy interviewing for a job tell me a story and then say " ... And I laughed so hard I literally shat my pants!" So I asked him

"You literally shat your pants?"

"Yeah!"

"Oh my God."

"Yeah."

"What did you do?"

"I dunno. I just sort of sat there."

"You just sat there in it?"

"No! I didn't shit my pants. I said I *literally* shat my pants." He said this as though I was the one who didn't understand that word.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.