Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: In Vogue Words you love/hate.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    That's because it is a self-inflicted speech impediment. It's alleged (and plausible, nay probable) lineage is the propinquity of the 'p' and the 'o' keys. Easy to misstroke in the heat of the moment. Then, with alarming swiftness, like 'teh' and 'lol' it transmigrated from text to speech with all the grace of an early text-to-speech program.

I'll insert the obligatory nod toward 'Yolo' existing and wash my hands of it.

I despise the word 'hoodie'. I have a general dislike of baby-talk words entering adult vernacular. It's a fucking hooded sweatshirt, or a hooded shirt. Next we'll start calling anything with a zipper a 'zippie', and we'll be on the brink of confusion that comes up when the words 'pudding' or 'rubber' come out of an Englishman's mouth.

I also dislike the word tummy. I most dislike it when someone else is implying that I have one. I do not. I have a have a stomach, an abdomen, or informally, a belly. I do not have a tummy.

This is probably a good point to note that my Grandma once commented that I had peculiarly distinct aversion to words like 'mommy' or 'daddy' (or there more base equivalents) even as a child young enough to be expected to use such words. Apparently even as a toddler, I was particular about the use of 'mother' and 'father'--though 'mom' and 'dad' eventually became acceptable. I suspect the oppressive desert heat had something to do with it. When words are labored, you become more economical with them.

I despise the spoke forms of 'lol'. When someone says "lawl" or "ell oh ell", I'm sorely tempted to say "contemptuous eyeroll", but it wouldn't be the same because I would actually be doing that. I usually manage to restrain the eyeroll to a mere twitch, but there's something doubly grotesque about speaking such things. It's acceptable in direct, informal writing as a means of showing appreciation for a clever thought, though as latch notes, it's usually a lie. But in spoken form, the lie is more obvious and grotesque.

You did not 'lol'. I know this because I was there, looking at you when you said it. Had you lolled, I would have known. I would have observed it in the same manner I observed you announcing your filthy stinking lie to world.

These people are often the same sort of people who say things like "cry" in public, to other people. Granted the context is the same under which they might use the term in a chatroom, forum, or texting environment, but it just sounds dumb when spoken aloud in a face to face encounter. The most extreme cases are so disjointed from their facial expressions and emotions that they will also announce other things they aren't doing to fill in the gaps their flat affect creates. They say things like "smirk", "grin", or their favorite emoticon summoning string.

Revulsion is an accurate description of how I feel on learning someone is a member of this tribe.

I literally did read it. LOL.

I think I have ammo now to make you twitchy. How does that make you feel in your tummy? Hahahahahaha! Just zippie yo hoodie ova it! Yeah!
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    "No! I didn't shit my pants. I said I *literally* shat my pants." He said this as though I was the one who didn't understand that word.
    I'm assuming he didn't get the job?

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I'm assuming he didn't get the job?
    He did not get the job. Honestly even if he HAD BEEN right, correcting an interviewer during an interview doesn't show great judgment.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post

"No! I didn't shit my pants. I said I *literally* shat my pants." He said this as though I was the one who didn't understand that word.
    Literally is a contronym. People used it so much to describe things that aren't technically true that the OED added the informal usage due to its popularity. I'm literally disgusted but any language that isn't changing is a dead language.
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; 07-28-2014 at 04:30 AM.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    Literally is a contronym. People used it so much to describe things that aren't technically true that the OED added the informal usage due to its popularity. I'm literally disgusted but any language that isn't changing is a dead language.
    The link is not working MJ.

Yeah, I'm not able to think of any words that repulse me. Perverting language use in some way is very often creative. It also has very deep Darwinian roots as a tool of group identity.

Spoiler: But this exchange reminds me of an image I came across recently.

Last edited by OrionzRevenge; 07-28-2014 at 03:35 AM.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INFP
    Ah shit

This link

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-antonym

I wish I could remember which linguist it was that convinced me to abandon my lifelong and closely heald grammar naziism but I can't. Some Npr thing in the last year.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Otaku
    Type
    INTP
    Faze: using it is a sign of laziness and poor imagination, not to mention it always gets misspelled as phase

Tumblr+any combination of pejorative: I really need to change the places I visit

Mary Sue/Gary Stu: it's so ill-defined and overused that it's now meaningless. As it is it's the laziest dismissal possible because it never even approaches anything resembling analysis, but people keep using it because they have no understanding of context and genre. The arguments it invokes are full of descriptions (as if they actually prove anything) and re-definition of the term as people poke holes in it and question why it's even a problem.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    The woman likes to say 'lol' and 'OMG'. I joke that it will cause me to become domestically abusive, which probably makes her do it more...

Yeah....joke....haha....sure....

/YOLO.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    There's a Panamanian guy at work that loves to say, "Hashtag NOT."

And he kinda wants to be my best friend. Luckily, he's gay, so that's all it is.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Cray: I've heard this word used twice in the last week. I don't absolutely hate it, but I find it slightly annoying. It's like it's trying too hard to be hip.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.