Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Eating Alone

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Well, it's called Gibraltar, so maybe they're trying to imply that the bar is on British soil.

Hey wait a minute, I should be pissed about that or something!
    That makes a bit of round about sense. Clearly the owner didn't quite have the balls to call the place Falkland.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    So, my husband mentioned my lone birthday meal while he was at work because he's an extrovert and he finds it noteworthy, and one of the women in the room said that I must be cheating on him and said I'm not eating alone because no woman would ever eat alone on purpose on a normal day, let alone on her birthday. The empty beer glass in the photo was posited as proof that I was not actually alone. My husband and I have gotten a good laugh out of it. From what I know of her life and her world outside of work, her version of the story probably seems much more plausible, but in our world, not so much. The very idea that I would willingly complicate and dramatize my life is as inconceivable to me as eating alone is to her.
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 08-07-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    So, my husband mentioned my lone birthday meal while he was at work because he's an extrovert and he finds it noteworthy, and one of the women in the room said that I must be cheating on him and saying I'm eating alone because no woman would ever eat alone on purpose on a normal day, let alone on her birthday. The empty beer glass in the photo was posited as proof that I was not actually alone. My husband and I have gotten a good laugh out of it. From what I know of her life and her world outside of work, her version of the story probably seems much more plausible, but in our world, not so much. The very idea that I would willingly complicate and dramatize my life is as inconceivable to me as eating alone is to her.
    Heh. Is taking with equanimity peoples' asinine misinterpretation of your actions according to some kind of moronic social wisdom something that develops with age?
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Heh. Is taking with equanimity peoples' asinine misinterpretation of your actions according to some kind of moronic social wisdom something that develops with age?
    Possibly. I find that this equanimity helps me to further avoid complications and drama in my life. If you try to dispel this kind of talk, it is only taken as further proof...it's that "thou dost protest too much...hmmm" thing. If you are a reasonably attractive female in the deep south, pretty much everything you do and say gets a sort of nefarious spin by the people looking in. The fact that I'm married to a short guy further adds to the imaginary dynamic outsiders apply to us. I either have to limit myself and live by their rules (for example, to avoid causing talk, I could have decided not to write a book with my single male coauthor) or I can just learn to laugh at it. It does make me cringe if I choose to dwell on it too much, but as more and more years go by without any of the imaginary scandals emerging, people do start to see you in a better light.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Today I was out paying a bill when I passed an Italian restaurant and thought why not. Went in for pasta but instead ordered steak rare with mushrooms and wine, and asked for the newspaper to read while I ate. It was fun and I remembered this thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Today I was out paying a bill when I passed an Italian restaurant and thought why not. Went in for pasta but instead ordered steak rare with mushrooms and wine, and asked for the newspaper to read while I ate. It was fun and I remembered this thread!
    What a CAPITAL thing to do for yourself!

But seriously, I think this is the most sane thing anyone has said in the forum this week. Double Bravo on plumbing the depths for such a necropost.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    But seriously, I think this is the most sane thing anyone has said in the forum this week.
    +1
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD