Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping poor service

Type
    INtP

Tipping poor service

I normally tip 20-25% generally at restaurants. If the service was on the poorer side, I tip 15%. But what about the times when the service really sucks? Especially when you know it's not a factor of a server's inexperience, having too many tables, or being blamed for something in the kitchen.

Today I had some really shitty service; I was being treated for the meal and was not the one leaving the tip so I didn't have to make the decision.

Will you give, or have you given, no tip? 5%? 10% What's the lowest you'll go, and why?

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    I usually just tip 20% across the board.

Type
    intp
    I never tip.

I'm not their employer and it's not my responsibility to pay a living wage.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    I never tip.

Well, everyone knows that people from New Zealand are stingy. That's a fact.

Type
    INtP
    I never tip.

Not even when you're in the States or somewhere where they are getting paid like, 3 bucks an hour?!

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    I normally tip 20-25% generally at restaurants. If the service was on the poorer side, I tip 15%. But what about the times when the service really sucks? Especially when you know it's not a factor of a server's inexperience, having too many tables, or being blamed for something in the kitchen.

Today I had some really shitty service; I was being treated for the meal and was not the one leaving the tip so I didn't have to make the decision.

Will you give, or have you given, no tip? 5%? 10% What's the lowest you'll go, and why?
    It really depends on whether the person's behavior can be attributed to job stress (even if it's not their busiest day) or if you can just tell that they're being assholes. I can understand people being inattentive sometimes, but if they get to being rude, that's another matter.

When it's just inattentiveness, I try to err on the side of assuming it's not an everyday attitude. I generally am not sympathetic towards people who do their jobs poorly on a regular basis just because they have "shitty jobs". I have had plenty of them and I didn't go around punishing people for it. It is nice to see someone do something well - especially when it's the kind of thing that you wouldn't want to do yourself. There's just a basic human solidarity and self-respect in doing things decently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    Not even when you're in the States or somewhere where they are getting paid like, 3 bucks an hour?!
    Oh yeah; I tip in developing countries.

Type
    intp
    I still tip but I feel VERY ANNOYED about it. I'm not a very good tipper because I'm a bad person and stingy, so it's probably not a significant difference in my tipping rate.

edit: also, I have tended to live areas that don't allow $3/hr wages, and I sometimes forget that's a thing.
    Last edited by sandwitch; 07-30-2014 at 06:52 AM.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    15 - 20% depending on the sort of restaurant, 15% for objectively shit service. i don't believe in punishing the whole service staff for one person's shit.

Type
    INtP
    Oh yeah; I tip in developing countries.
    I guess I don't understand the mentality of not tipping when you are in the US. Or did you try to frequent fast food places and other establishments where you know the person is getting paid a standard minimum wage? Otherwise you simply stiffed a person and gave all your money to the employer who refuses to pay a standard minimum wage (let alone a living one).