Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 84

Thread: Tipping poor service

  1. #1
    malarkey oxyjen's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,530

    Tipping poor service

    I normally tip 20-25% generally at restaurants. If the service was on the poorer side, I tip 15%. But what about the times when the service really sucks? Especially when you know it's not a factor of a server's inexperience, having too many tables, or being blamed for something in the kitchen.

    Today I had some really shitty service; I was being treated for the meal and was not the one leaving the tip so I didn't have to make the decision.

    Will you give, or have you given, no tip? 5%? 10% What's the lowest you'll go, and why?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Desolation Row
    Posts
    3,903
    I usually just tip 20% across the board.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jyng1's Avatar
    Type
    intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,378
    I never tip.

    I'm not their employer and it's not my responsibility to pay a living wage.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Desolation Row
    Posts
    3,903
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    I never tip.

    I'm not their employer and it's not my responsibility to pay a living wage.
    Well, everyone knows that people from New Zealand are stingy. That's a fact.

  5. #5
    malarkey oxyjen's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,530
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    I never tip.

    I'm not their employer and it's not my responsibility to pay a living wage.
    Not even when you're in the States or somewhere where they are getting paid like, 3 bucks an hour?!

  6. #6
    Hasta Siempre Madrigal's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maņana
    Posts
    9,768
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    I normally tip 20-25% generally at restaurants. If the service was on the poorer side, I tip 15%. But what about the times when the service really sucks? Especially when you know it's not a factor of a server's inexperience, having too many tables, or being blamed for something in the kitchen.

    Today I had some really shitty service; I was being treated for the meal and was not the one leaving the tip so I didn't have to make the decision.

    Will you give, or have you given, no tip? 5%? 10% What's the lowest you'll go, and why?
    It really depends on whether the person's behavior can be attributed to job stress (even if it's not their busiest day) or if you can just tell that they're being assholes. I can understand people being inattentive sometimes, but if they get to being rude, that's another matter.

    When it's just inattentiveness, I try to err on the side of assuming it's not an everyday attitude. I generally am not sympathetic towards people who do their jobs poorly on a regular basis just because they have "shitty jobs". I have had plenty of them and I didn't go around punishing people for it. It is nice to see someone do something well - especially when it's the kind of thing that you wouldn't want to do yourself. There's just a basic human solidarity and self-respect in doing things decently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

  7. #7
    Senior Member jyng1's Avatar
    Type
    intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,378
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    Not even when you're in the States or somewhere where they are getting paid like, 3 bucks an hour?!
    Oh yeah; I tip in developing countries.

  8. #8
    libertine librarian sandwitch's Avatar
    Type
    intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    flyover territory
    Posts
    1,356
    I still tip but I feel VERY ANNOYED about it. I'm not a very good tipper because I'm a bad person and stingy, so it's probably not a significant difference in my tipping rate.

    edit: also, I have tended to live areas that don't allow $3/hr wages, and I sometimes forget that's a thing.
    Last edited by sandwitch; 07-30-2014 at 06:52 AM.

  9. #9
    chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    shrubland
    Posts
    8,662
    15 - 20% depending on the sort of restaurant, 15% for objectively shit service. i don't believe in punishing the whole service staff for one person's shit.

  10. #10
    malarkey oxyjen's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,530
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Oh yeah; I tip in developing countries.
    I guess I don't understand the mentality of not tipping when you are in the US. Or did you try to frequent fast food places and other establishments where you know the person is getting paid a standard minimum wage? Otherwise you simply stiffed a person and gave all your money to the employer who refuses to pay a standard minimum wage (let alone a living one).

Similar Threads

  1. Tipping the Scales ... the wrong way?
    By sandwitch in forum Rants, Raves & Hot Air
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 05-16-2014, 04:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •