Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitbit

Type
    INtP

Fitbit

Is it worth it?

Or is it simply an overpriced pedometer that fits around the wrist? (I'm looking at Fitbit Flex, specifically). If you have Jawbone or other similar system, please feel free to comment on those.

Type
    INTP
    I've used a fitbit for two years now and I like it. For some crazy reason it acts as an incentive to move more. I easily get in 10.000 steps a day and, now and then, 20,000. The online database allows you to log different parameters such as blood pressure, heart rate, activities, weight, food consumption, etc. You can also log your sleep time with the device. I imagine that most of the "personal quantification" devices are similar. They're mostly based on a 3 D microelectromechanical accelerometer and there are smarts in it to distinguish walking movements from other kinds. So, in that sense, they're more sophisticated than a simple pedometer. Whether it's worth it? Well, it was for me but I can't speak for anyone else.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    I got one for my Mom and she went from basically no exercise to making sure she hits her 10,000 steps everyday. Totally worth it.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    ^^^Awesome. My dad, on noting that his VA provided pedometer wasn't recording 10000 steps per day, fixed the problem by prescribing himself a 48 hour day.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INtP
    I read a review that claimed if you do not move your arms while walking, the steps will not show up accurately on a Flex. Walking while pushing a jogging stroller probably counts for a quarter to half of my total steps. If the Force wasn't recalled, I'd go for that because at the very least I need a wristwatch.

Thanks for the input thus far.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    I read a review that claimed if you do not move your arms while walking, the steps will not show up accurately on a Flex. Walking while pushing a jogging stroller probably counts for a quarter to half of my total steps. If the Force wasn't recalled, I'd go for that because at the very least I need a wristwatch.

Thanks for the input thus far.
    I use a fitbit one. I often use an elliptical trainer and I like to have the strides recorded as steps. I don't think this would work with a flex. OTOH, I swim, too, and it would be nice to have a device that also records strokes. Someday, maybe.

Type
    INTP
    I had a fitbit force and really liked it. In addition to tracking steps, I liked that I could use it as a watch and I loved the silent alarm feature because I get up earlier than my husband. Then I received a Jawbone up as a gift, and the force was recalled so I sent it back even though I had no problems with it. I hardly use the jawbone. It feels much chunkier on my wrist, I can't use it as a watch, and I have to look at my phone to check my progress. I wish I hadn't sent the fitbit back. I also had the fitbit that has a display and hooked on your waistband. I lost that one, but I liked it better than the UP. I like having a display.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I got a Jawbone for my mom and she likes it a lot. A couple of her workout buddies also have them, so it gives them something to talk about and figure out together.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've had a flex since they came out. I love it. It integrates with myfitnesspal if you choose to do so. Once you do, you can just run and walk or whatever and you don't have to enter your workouts to get your calories added. I have lots of former students in my friends list and it entertains me to always have more steps than any of them.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I have lots of former students in my friends list and it entertains me to always have more steps than any of them.
    It is important to stay a few steps ahead of your students.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)