Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitbit

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i like the idea of a device like that a lot, esp with sleep tracking, but i have a feeling that part will make me feel really bad about myself.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevenin View Post
    I use a fitbit one. I often use an elliptical trainer and I like to have the strides recorded as steps. I don't think this would work with a flex. OTOH, I swim, too, and it would be nice to have a device that also records strokes. Someday, maybe.
    My flex works when I'm pushing a shopping cart and when I mow.

For swimming, I take it off and record my swim manually via fitnesspal, and since the two integrate, it at least logs it as activity and includes calories, etc. There is a tracker called "Shine" that does swim strokes. It made the short list when I considered my purchase, but they lost me because the makers seem reluctant about the Android side of things.

I also wear a gear2, but the fitness tracking stuff on it is worthless. I use it for all the other cool stuff it does. Initially I stopped wearing my flex when I got it, but the flex website and functionality so greatly exceeds the gear's that it wasn't even really a decision. Fortunately the flex is so comfortable you don't even notice it...no, not even when it is worn next to a giant wristwatch.

I love the simplicity of the flex. You don't have to really think about it.

If you do get a flex, invest in one extra band for it. If you don't switch the band out every day or so, it starts to smell like a soured dishrag from trapped moisture. If you alternate, it isn't an issue at all.

Type
    INtP
    I received a fitbit charge for my birthday. Being able to push a button and see the time, steps, mileage, etc. seems like a big perk over the flex. The sleep tracking is not the most accurate, but for the price point and ease of use I can't complain. And Sistamatic was right, it logs steps when I am pushing a stroller or shopping cart. I'm happy with it, and again I appreciated people's recs.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    I received a fitbit charge for my birthday. Being able to push a button and see the time, steps, mileage, etc. seems like a big perk over the flex. The sleep tracking is not the most accurate, but for the price point and ease of use I can't complain. And Sistamatic was right, it logs steps when I am pushing a stroller or shopping cart. I'm happy with it, and again I appreciated people's recs.
    Nice! I probably have a year or two of life left in my flex but if i was shopping for a fitbit today I'd get the charge.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    I see these step counter wristbands returned constantly. People can't figure out how to set them up. lol. Seems like a stupid way to move around more to me.

Type
    INXj
    I've been using Fitbit for a couple of months now. I find the sleep tracking and weight loss/gain logs most helpful. I have poor sleeping patterns, it's kind of cool to check when REM happens. While I don't find the steps count reliable, it motivates me to walk around and move out of my sedentary lifestyle. I'm also aiming to lose a couple of pounds this month. So, if anyone is interested, I'm up for a weekly challenge. We could start a friendly competition. Just hit me up. Let's earn badges together.
    We cling to our past as if they define us. What we do defines us.

Type
    INtP
    I received a new fitbit last fall. This one not only tracks the amount of sleep, but also how much time you spend in different stages of sleep.

Question to anyone--Does anyone know how to increase the time you spend in deep sleep? I have zero problem getting to sleep or staying asleep (which is which most advice centers around if you look at the topic). However, many nights I have a real lack of deep sleep. I now can predict exactly what my fitbit will say about my sleep in the morning, just by my mood (less deep sleep=tired, less positive, lacking motivation). On nights where my deep sleep is lacking, I have a preponderance of REM sleep. My awake times never change, so I feel safe in ruling out sleep apnea.

The amount of hours seems to not matter nearly as much as me hitting at least the lowest benchmark of "normal" amount of deep sleep. Suggestions?

Type
    INTP
    I'd eliminate any light or noise pollution in your bedroom at night as a first step. Also, I assume you sleep with a partner; try sleeping alone.

Type
    INTP
    Also, as you get older, your ability to sleep well declines.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen
    Does anyone know how to increase the time you spend in deep sleep?
    I've read that we get most of our deep sleep in the first half of the night, ideally a solid chunk of uninterrupted sleep for 3.5-4 hours. After the fact you get more REM and wake ups.

Advice on how to achieve more/deeper sleep seems to be in line with any overall sleep advice. Ensure you are comfortable. Have a wind-down routine away from electronics, do some evening yoga. If you can manage to sleep in a cooler environment, then make it so. How do you feel about your first half of night's sleep, do you wake up uncomfortable?

I tend now to succeed in getting uninterrupted sleep for only the first half of the night. After which I wake up often in hot/cold discomfort (particularly on mild nights when my heat settings now overreach). It takes its toll, but at least the first half is helping me a good deal. Last night fucking sucked.

With all the benefits I hear I'd like to sleep comfortably in a cold room but I have serious difficulty navigating to an optimal ambient temperature out of the "swamp land" that will have me toss sheets on and off yo-yoing between hot and cold. The temperature fluctuates as well, with unreliable consistency. I have found a higher range (around 20 degrees Celsius ) that works for me if I have just a single bedsheet on me with more at my feet so I am leveraging that for the time being. My temperature regulation is fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Works
    Also, as you get older, your ability to sleep well declines.
    That has been exceedingly concerning to me because I'm already atrocious at it.
    Last edited by Faust; 01-23-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"