Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fitbit

Type
    INTP
    I dont know why anyone needs a piece of technology to record how much they sleep or walk.

Do you have no concept of time or distance? Lol.

I think I've walked about 10 miles today.
    Didn't bother to record it.. I can fucking feel it.

I just want to smash peoples gadgets to bits.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    I dont know why anyone needs a piece of technology to record how much they sleep or walk.

Do you have no concept of time or distance? Lol.

I think I've walked about 10 miles today.
    Didn't bother to record it.. I can fucking feel it.

I just want to smash peoples gadgets to bits.

Fitness trackers only help rich people get thin.

Type
    INTP
    From the article:

Wearable devices tend to better hack our lazy, hedonic-treadmill brains if they are integrated into smartphones, the devices we rarely leave home without, or send out visual or auditory reminders.
    @ Revenant; wears a plastic watch hooked up to his smart phone, and another INTP I went on a date with had the exact same set up.

I find them detestable.. Our phones are instrusive enough, let alone physically attaching an additional device to your body. I keep my phone on silent the majority of the time. I'll notice shit when I look at shit.. which often isn't immediately... With him on the other hand its "been, beep, buzz buzz, beep, beep, buzz buzz!" ... Down my fucking ear hole too, if if his arm is around me.

I've fantasised about smashing the things..

But in his world its "bloody marvelous"..

How about get your heads out of your stupid plastic counting machines, and instead just move your ficking arses the old fashioned way.. you'd probably accomplish more.. by like, taking up a a sport, or anything else exceedingly obvious.

Sorry I'm ranting, I have a serious aversion to the way the world is being shaped around technology.
    Last edited by Sinny; 01-23-2018 at 06:31 PM.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    I'm with @Sinny on this one. I got a fitbit and the only thing I really want to use it for is to communicate with my phone. Of course it doesn't work with my phone, so it's useless. I haven't changed any of my habits. If and when I do change my habits, it won't be because of a fitbit.

I think it can be useful for people who find artificial rewards to be motivating (not a snide remark; it really does help some people) or who really can use the data for whatever reason (although, as you've seen, your own body is a good judge of how well you slept). And yeah, if you know other people with a fitbit, then it can be a fun, competitive, social sort of thing. I guess.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    it really does help some people) or who really can use the data for whatever reason

Knowing how well you slept last night is anecdotal; knowing how you slept over the last year is data. I've got a Garmin Fenix 5 and really like it. Works really well as a watch, battery lasts for ages, is waterproof to 50 metres and measures anything you're interested in. I should have got a Fenix 5X for the topomaps and turn by turn navigation.

I got a few people doing Steptember last year. One of my work colleagues is still using his pedometer which I think is because he finally realised how little he was moving compared to others that weren't obese and didn't have diabetes.
    Last edited by jyng1; 01-23-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    I got one for my Mom and she went from basically no exercise to making sure she hits her 10,000 steps everyday. Totally worth it.
    Do you have any pictures?

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Do you have any pictures?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Knowing how well you slept last night is anecdotal; knowing how you slept over the last year is data. I've got a Garmin Fenix 5 and really like it. Works really well as a watch, battery lasts for ages, is waterproof to 50 metres and measures anything you're interested in. I should have got a Fenix 5X for the topomaps and turn by turn navigation.

I got a few people doing Steptember last year. One of my work colleagues is still using his pedometer which I think is because he finally realised how little he was moving compared to others that weren't obese and didn't have diabetes.
    I got the Fenix 5s. I like it much better than the Apple Watch (which I used to use). It has much better fitness tracking and is much better looking. And there is no comparison to the battery life. I don’t care about all those smartwatch features and notifications anyway. I want a good activity/fitness tracker and watch. I don’t like being tethered to my phone and don’t want all those notifications on my wrist. I’d like the turn by turn navigation as well, but even the 5s looks, and feels, huge on my wrist, so that’s not a realistic option right now. But I really like my Fenix 5s. No complaints.

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I wore one sporadically. It was always in the way of my sleeve and requires charging so I threw it in a drawer. It would also light up at the movies but only about half the time when I would tilt my wrist to check the time. It's really not a replacement for a wristwatch, if that's what you're looking for. It was fun when the app would accumulate the total distance I'd walked and it would turn out to be a country or something huge. My phone has a far less generous pedometer than the Fitbit built into it so I just look at it instead. The Fitbit would add a seemingly arbitrary amount of steps on when I rode my bike. I don't get the virulent opposition to these things. Anything that can get people exercising a little more is great. Is there a double blind study that demonstrates the futility of these things as motivators that I don't know about? Even if the heightened activity is temporary it's better than no bump whatsoever.
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; 01-24-2018 at 03:48 AM. Reason: At a cool party with friends but just couldn't let this go

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I've read that we get most of our deep sleep in the first half of the night, ideally a solid chunk of uninterrupted sleep for 3.5-4 hours. After the fact you get more REM and wake ups.

Advice on how to achieve more/deeper sleep seems to be in line with any overall sleep advice. Ensure you are comfortable. Have a wind-down routine away from electronics, do some evening yoga. If you can manage to sleep in a cooler environment, then make it so. How do you feel about your first half of night's sleep, do you wake up uncomfortable?

I tend now to succeed in getting uninterrupted sleep for only the first half of the night. After which I wake up often in hot/cold discomfort (particularly on mild nights when my heat settings now overreach). It takes its toll, but at least the first half is helping me a good deal. Last night fucking sucked.

With all the benefits I hear I'd like to sleep comfortably in a cold room but I have serious difficulty navigating to an optimal ambient temperature out of the "swamp land" that will have me toss sheets on and off yo-yoing between hot and cold. The temperature fluctuates as well, with unreliable consistency. I have found a higher range (around 20 degrees Celsius ) that works for me if I have just a single bedsheet on me with more at my feet so I am leveraging that for the time being. My temperature regulation is fucked.

I don't wake up uncomfortable my first half of sleep. Normally I don't even wake up in the middle of the night at all, unless one of the kids wakes me up (caveat: I don't notice that I'm waking up, my fitbit registers the occasional "awake" during the night but I think it is normal levels of movement during sleep). My youngest is not the model sleeper like my first; him interrupting usually happens only once a night but it's been more frequently this week since he has a cold. The other night I suspect this is why my sleep was fucked, since I had just gotten into my second bout of deep sleep and then he had a wake up. I didn't have any more after that. However I have this problem even when he doesn't have earlier in the night wake-ups.

I think you're on to something with the temperature. I always prefer sleeping in a pretty cool room but compromised on the temperature for other people, it is about five degrees warmer than I would like. I'll try that first with some discipline about alcohol and limiting caffeine intake. Fortunately we did the work to make the room dark as fuck, and I sleep in my bed alone about half the nights since we both work third shifts occasionally. It's a starting point.