Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fitbit

Type
    intp
    For a comprehensive analysis published in the journal Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, researchers reviewed over 30 studies in search of factors that consistently motivate people to start and stick with exercise programs. What they found is that one of the strongest motivators to keep with a fitness routine is having the support of friends and family.
    https://www.outsideonline.com/214395...n=facebookpost

Must be why I love my Garmin... I hate the idea of having a day where it just records me lying on the couch.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    I may have decoded the source of the Fitbit's douche factor.

The device pretty much tells your environment: "I am focused on myself to the point that I actively enjoying looking at stats of my most basic bodily functions (which would do quite well without any supervision). I also don't mind shelling out a couple of hundred bucks to do just that. I'm quite happy for you and everyone else to know about this by impractically wearing this conspicuous token of exaggerated self-centredness on my wrist."

Nope, I don't think I'd have the panache to pull this off.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I love mine. I'm a writer and I work from home, and some days my gardening and mowing and whatnot keep me active enough, but sometimes five oclock rolls around and I look at my wrist and it says I've gotten 285 steps today, mostly in trips to the kitchen, and it inspires me to get in my car and go to the gym, or to play beat saber for 2 consecutive hours in virtual reality until I hit the magic 10k. If I didn't have it, I'd probably find some other way to stay active, but this works for me. I'm pretty bad about obsessing on whatever I'm doing and not noticing any of the things I'm not focused on. Seeing how much I haven't moved every time I look at my watch is good for me. I haven't looked at my overall step stats in a very long time, though I did have fun with that initially, especially the sleep stages. Every once in a while if I'm feeling really tired I'll look at my sleep stats and note that it has been 3 weeks since I got more than six hours of sleep in a night. Again, you'd think I'd be aware of such things, but I really do get obsessed on whatever I'm doing. Hell, 99 percent of the time that I have a cut or a bruise, I've only got a vague memory of how I got it.

Someone else posted this work from home article, sorry I can't remember who or I'd give you mad props for it cuz it is so accurate. But this should give you a good idea as to why I need a fitbit: https://www.newyorker.com/humor/dail...work-from-home

Also, I am confident that douchey isn't what people think when they see my fitbit. I think my general appearance cancels that out effectively. There are methods other than panache by which one can appear non-douchey in a fitbit, but they probably wouldn't suit you.
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 05-08-2018 at 10:25 PM.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle