Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all the old members dead, in the heart or in the head?

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Limey was annoying, and not that funny. He was just kind of a dick. I'll never understand why he got away with the stuff he did. I guess if you were an old enough member, though, it didn't matter. I don't remember him contributing that much except ranting about how Birmingham sucked because there were too many foreigners. The only one who called him out on it, really, was Qualia, and she got banned. (Not for that, I don't think...)

Another person whose absence I am ok with is MGB.

Posters I liked that I remember were Qualia, Enkidu, and SolitaryWalker. Though lots of people were vocal about hating the first two for some reason because they posted too much or talked about their mental illnesses or something stupid like that.

HoneyCyclical and OutMyWindow were good, too, now that I remember.

Edit:

I liked Technical, also. It seemed like a lot of the wrong posters were banned at the old place, which contributed to the tone, I think. I'm puzzled why Qualia and Technical got perma-banned but Limey and MGB didn't.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 08-11-2014 at 02:49 AM.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Gross. Snot consumption nauseates me.
    Likely story. You talk about snot a lot. What do you do with it when the airplane makes it come out?
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    Qualia was hated for getting shrill and venomous with too much frequency. Or possibly for overusing the word 'poster' in conjuction with the adjectives 'good' and 'bad'. Hard to say as we tend to tolerate and sometimes thrive on meta commentary. I think if she'd been about half as frequent with her use of venom, she would have flown under the ban-hammer radar.

Enkidu was in a strange place because of the missilepop incident. It was something of an open secret without proof.

In both cases, the things that got them heat were almost certainly directly related to their personal struggles with mental illnesses. That's the part that bothers me most about it though--the implicit intolerance for mental illness. Almost drove me to leave a time or two myself.

Still, if memory serves, Enkidu walked away of his own accord, and qualia was smart enough to work around bans if she wanted to badly enough. I suspect they both either lurk, or have other places to be.

Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    Likely story. You talk about snot a lot. What do you do with it when the airplane makes it come out?
    Recoil in horror, cover my nose and dripping gob of mucous with my hand, flee to the bathroom and pull it out, hand over hand until it stops flowing freely, flinging it into the the sink. Then I turn on the water, wash it down the drain, and blow my nose forcefully into the sink, repeating the hand over hand pulling as needed. After I am unable to clear any more excess mucous, I wash up, clean the sink, and dry off--then slip into the handicapped poopicle for a good cry.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Qualia was hated for getting shrill and venomous with too much frequency. Or possibly for overusing the word 'poster' in conjuction with the adjectives 'good' and 'bad'. Hard to say as we tend to tolerate and sometimes thrive on meta commentary. I think if she'd been about half as frequent with her use of venom, she would have flown under the ban-hammer radar.

Enkidu was in a strange place because of the missilepop incident. It was something of an open secret without proof.

In both cases, the things that got them heat were almost certainly directly related to their personal struggles with mental illnesses. That's the part that bothers me most about it though--the implicit intolerance for mental illness. Almost drove me to leave a time or two myself.

Still, if memory serves, Enkidu walked away of his own accord, and qualia was smart enough to work around bans if she wanted to badly enough. I suspect they both either lurk, or have other places to be.

Recoil in horror, cover my nose and dripping gob of mucous with my hand, flee to the bathroom and pull it out, hand over hand until it stops flowing freely, flinging it into the the sink. Then I turn on the water, wash it down the drain, and blow my nose forcefully into the sink, repeating the hand over hand pulling as needed. After I am unable to clear any more excess mucous, I wash up, clean the sink, and dry off--then slip into the handicapped poopicle for a good cry.
    In the army before the gas chamber training I saw dudes coming out of there crying and snot hanging like two feet out of their faces. I vowed to not let that happen to myself and I was successful. I sucked it back up into my nose. It was horrible. I get the willies thinking about it even today- 24 years later.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Actually, the thing that usually got meshou/titania/qualia banned was her tendency not to merely be venemous to posters she didn't like, but once someone was on her shitlist she'd hound them mercilessly from thread to thread. She was tenacious like a terrier with a slipper in its teeth. She'd slink back in later once the dust settled and she was well liked enough that her identity behind her new sock would be kind of an open secret. She's good people though. She's still on Facebook.

What was Enkidu's missilepop incident?
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    I don't really remember her doing anything worse than what MGB or Limey did, though. It seemed like she usually chose the right targets, too. Maybe she argued too passionately, but it seemed like she believed in it. It didn't seem like she was going around trolling people and acting like a jerk just because she was bored. She wasn't really one of the problems at the old place, judging by the grand scheme of things.

That was him? I didn't know that.

That's the part that bothers me most about it though--the implicit intolerance for mental illness. Almost drove me to leave a time or two myself.
    Oh yeah. The other place sometimes had the vibe of "this is for normal INTPS, we don't want nonea you freaks around these here parts". I get that no one wants to hear about it all the time, but that doesn't give people the license to act like jerks about it. Especially if they are demanding tolerance for their own pet issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar
    Actually, the thing that usually got meshou/titania/qualia banned was her tendency not to merely be venemous to posters she didn't like, but once someone was on her shitlist she'd hound them mercilessly from thread to thread. She was tenacious like a terrier with a slipper in its teeth. She'd slink back in later once the dust settled and she was well liked enough that her identity behind her new sock would be kind of an open secret.
    I'm sure she was the only poster there that ever did that.

Maybe I feel that way because at one point in my history, on a long-dead internet forum in no way conneced with this one, back in the tension-and-promise filled summer of 2003 and into 2004, I engaged in that terrier behavior, and got banned for it, and feel slightly defensive about it, still. Those were days of anxiety, and rage, but also an intense hope for me. I'm a little nostalgic about it, even if I probably was a jerk about it.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 08-11-2014 at 03:35 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    Actually, the thing that usually got meshou/titania/qualia banned was her tendency not to merely be venemous to posters she didn't like, but once someone was on her shitlist she'd hound them mercilessly from thread to thread. She was tenacious like a terrier with a slipper in its teeth. She'd slink back in later once the dust settled and she was well liked enough that her identity behind her new sock would be kind of an open secret. She's good people though. She's still on Facebook.

Yeah, I forgot the terrier aspect--it's what made the venom so visible though. Makes sense.

The missilepop incident was one fine day, a new member arrived. Missilepop. Missilepop's first order of the day was sending reps to an alarming number of people. The reps were an image, but the words were too small to read on the rep page. When you magnified it (or went to the source url) you saw it was "Fuck you" written over and over an over.

I think there was also a thread made that was the same thing.

I don't remember exactly what it was that caused the heat to settle on Enkidu other than that he was at some extreme of his cycle, and I think he friended missilepop right of the bat. The forum mercifully recognized that it had no real proof Enkidu was missilepop--it just smelled that way--and didn't burn him as a witch. The madmins merely banned the troll account.

It was Utisz first downfall vid.

--Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INtP
    I feel like I was in the minority for liking qualia at the other point. I usually found even her sharper commentaries on point.

I don't interact with a lot of posters outside the forum. Did people message/notify a lot of their fave old members to come back here?

Type
    INtP

It was Utisz first downfall vid.

I'm quoting this video again because this is the best meta commentary that ever was!!eleventy!

edit: there is no sarcasm here. I just remember how apt this video was at the time.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post

It was highly suspected that Enkidu spent one manic night using missilepop and another sock account sending walls of BS to all the active membership's Rep Pages.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein