Thread: Veni, Vidi, Vici

Type
    INTP

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Post photos of places you've visited. Wiki article links (or similar) appreciated.

Halong Bay

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Stonehenge! Where the demons dwell
    Where the banshees live and they do live well
    Stonehenge! Where a man's a man
    And the children dance to the Pipes of Pan
    Hey!
    Stonehenge! 'Tis a magic place
    Where the moon doth rise with a dragon's face
    Stonehenge! Where the virgins lie
    And the prayers of devils fill the midnight sky

Actually, going there in person was kind of underwhelming. The people in charge of it won't actually let you walk very close for fear that small children would rub boogers on the henges or something. It's just one of those tourist attractions where you got most of the awesomeness of the thing from looking at a picture of it in a book, as opposed to the Grand Canyon or something.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INxP
    Three Rivers Gorge prior to its flooding for the creation of the Three Gorges Dam.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    i wanna go and i think i might go with my bf in the future. he's vietnamese and has never had the opportunity to go to vietnam. (!)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Three Rivers Gorge prior to its flooding for the creation of the Three Gorges Dam.
    i remember when i visited i was in middle school and really obsessed with beating super mario world on my gameboy. too young to appreciate it.

i may add to this thread later, but i've gotten so lazy about uploading photos.

Type
    INxP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    i remember when i visited i was in middle school and really obsessed with beating super mario world on my gameboy. too young to appreciate it.
    That was largely my experience as well. We were in a cramped sleeper cabin on a riverboat for 2-3 days, and I was probably 13-14 at the time, so the beauty of the place was largely lost on me.

I did go on the Glacier Express in college though, which was much more satisfying:

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Recently spent a night in the Most Dangerous City in the World.

Drove past this thing:

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

The Badlands, South Dakota
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP