Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleep deprivation

Type
    INTP

Sleep deprivation

I have just come to realise that many of my medical and mental issues as of late have been due to lack of sleep. I have been maintaining under 6 hours of sleep a night with regularly (2-3 times a week) under 4 hours of sleep. This has been going on for a few months at least. I'm quite sure my "sleep debt" is hundreds of hours as of now. I feel weak and tired at all times, can barely stay awake, my body and joints ache ,I can't remember things, Its hard to concentrate and my eyescan no longer maintain being open for more than a second or so. I've been drinking multiple energy drinks + coffee every morning to try to be awake in the morning. They no longer have much if any affect.

Has anyone else dealt with this? I Don't know how to solve this problem, ive had the same sleep schedule for years (2nd shift guy) now that I work first I cannnot seem to get used to a normal schedule, especially since my friends still stay up till 4am on the regular.

While writting this I fell asleep at my desk FML.

Type
    INTP
    I don't sleep enough most of the time. On weekends I sleep in if possible and take naps if I feel tired. I've grown to love naps. Not really much point in dragging around feeling like a zombie. At least I've finally gotten to the point where I believe this.

Practical advice - if you really want to go to sleep earlier is to switch to reading and turn off the tv or computer once it gets late.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    I don't sleep enough most of the time. On weekends I sleep in if possible and take naps if I feel tired. I've grown to love naps. Not really much point in dragging around feeling like a zombie. At least I've finally gotten to the point where I believe this.

Practical advice - if you really want to go to sleep earlier is to switch to reading and turn off the tv or computer once it gets late.
    Yeah I really need to start doing that. My problem is that I am leading my friends in a table top rpg online and they all wanna play late and I end up staying up when I shouldn't because its so fun. I don't know a way of doing it with out just ditching my friends other than take naps after work everyday but that doesn't seem healthy.

Type
    INTP
    Sounds like sleep procrastination. Correct your habits and you'll be fine.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    I haven't slept well since Thursday evening. I stayed up all night Thursday evening because of bullshit, and now my body clock is having issues resetting itself. I'm pissed about that... and pissed because I'm so tired.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Sounds like sleep procrastination. Correct your habits and you'll be fine.
    It sleep procrastination to the point of a hard to break habit. I've done this since I was 18 since I always worked at night it was fine. Now I need to get up at 6am :/

Type
    INFP
    If you dont start getting more sleep it will get worse. Much worse. There is a point at which the body cant adapt or help itself without adaquate rest. Theres falling asleep in really bad situations or circumstances you would normally be alert for when sleep compromised. Like driving, sex, arguments, ect. Then there is hallucinations leading into sleep dep psychosis. That can really suck and if you have an underlying suceptibilty to mental illness as it could throw that into light as well and once that threshold is crossed it will be easier for it to occur again.

Try looking into the effects of blue light and eliminate all sources a hour or two before you plan to sleep. Maybe try looking into chronotherapy for ideas as well.
    Oh fuck it, Its the 90's.

Type
    INTP
    For some there is also the issue of quality of sleep. I've always been a loud snorer, turns out it was apnea. Treating this made a huge difference in my well being. I also buy the best bed stuff I can afford to up the quality of sleep.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    It sleep procrastination to the point of a hard to break habit. I've done this since I was 18 since I always worked at night it was fine. Now I need to get up at 6am :/
    Yeah, this is going to progress as you get older. When I was 12, spending a weekend not sleeping, binging on video games and playing was fine. At 18, I was working an ungodly number of hours and getting a few naps here and there (not sleep, just naps) for about 6 months before everything fell apart. 18 years later, I wouldn't even dream of doing such bullshit.

Insomnia happens, as does sleep procrastination, but there are things you can do to combat it:

Exercise. Not a little, a huge amount. Wear yourself out. Go out and do whatever physical activity you enjoy until you're coated with sweat and have to peel off your shirt to take a shower. You've done well it that last is difficult. You will sleep magnificently.

Melatonin. A little goes a long way, but you have to be willing to follow the siren call. It takes about 20 minutes to kick in, and at that point you just start to feel a little drowsy. It can be ignored. Hell, having to use it usually means you ignored it the first time it happened. Just take it, and be ready to go to bed at the first sign of heavy eyelids.

Diphenhydramine, aka Benadryl. This is a big gun, but it's cheap (as long as you are scrupulous in your search. I once purchased 1000 25mg capsules for about $15. I've I'd bought Benadryl, that would have been several hundred dollars), however, it has some risks. If you take too much or take it to frequently, it can be... unpleasant. You'll end up with insomnia, restlessness, and feel strung out and loopy all at once--and it can lead to your sinuses and nasal passages feeling all funky. I take 25mg at a time, and rarely.

Alcohol is a lousy choice for getting to bed. It has both stimulant and sedative effects. If you hit the window of slight sleepiness, you'll get to sleep faster, but by the time you're supposed to be getting your most restful sleep, it will be disrupting your ability to get rest. Don't bother with the nightcap, it isn't working like you might think it is.

Other than that, sleep hygiene. Don't put off sleep because of peer pressure. Go to bed.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I have just come to realise that many of my medical and mental issues as of late have been due to lack of sleep. I have been maintaining under 6 hours of sleep a night with regularly (2-3 times a week) under 4 hours of sleep. This has been going on for a few months at least. I'm quite sure my "sleep debt" is hundreds of hours as of now. I feel weak and tired at all times, can barely stay awake, my body and joints ache ,I can't remember things, Its hard to concentrate and my eyescan no longer maintain being open for more than a second or so. I've been drinking multiple energy drinks + coffee every morning to try to be awake in the morning. They no longer have much if any affect.

Has anyone else dealt with this? I Don't know how to solve this problem, ive had the same sleep schedule for years (2nd shift guy) now that I work first I cannnot seem to get used to a normal schedule, especially since my friends still stay up till 4am on the regular.

While writting this I fell asleep at my desk FML.
    I can relate for sure. My body always seems to want to stay up until about dawn, and if I don't keep my habits in check I'll end up like I was doing last school year, regularly staying up until 6 only to have to get up at 8 or 9. It's really bad for everything in life.

For me, a couple things that helped were installing f.lux on my computer and discovering ASMR videos on youtube. f.lux changes the color balance on your screen to be more red after the sun sets, and this is good for some reason. I don't remember, but it seems like it makes me feel a little less "awake" when I'm staring at computer at night. The ASMR videos are great for two reasons: I hate going to bed when I'm not exhausted enough to fall immediately to sleep, so it's much more appealing to watch something to occupy my mind. The ASMR stuff makes me sleepy. It just does the trick for me, although I've tried to share it with a few people and the response has just been "this is weird". So, not for everyone but I still think it's worth a shot.

Sleep scheduling is still quite a challenge for me.

edit: everything Heph said above too. I actually bought a bottle of 50mg benadryl capsules primarily for mysterious nighttime allergic reactions, but now I take two or three if I really need to get some shut eye. Best not to use too frequently though, and 150mg is a hard limit for me before things start to get weird. If you've never experienced a diphenhydramine trip though, I think it's worth doing just once. Not the most fun but weird as hell.

Exercise is good, but for me it seems to increase the amount I sleep and the amount of sleep I need to feel good by roughly equal amounts, so it's kind of a zero sum thing. It has all kinds of other benefits though so it's definitely worth it.