From The Art of Speedreading People:

Judgers Perceivers
    • Are more formal and conventional
    • Are more serious
    • Like to take charge and be in control
    • Like to make decisions; decide quickly
    • Are definitive and often express strong opinions
    • Are often in a hurry; like rapid pace
    • Have a "finished" neat appearance, clothes pressed, hair combed, etc.
    • Dress more for appearance
    • Probably have neat car interior
    • Like to set and reach goals
    • Are driven to finish projects
    • Like rules, systems and structures
    • Are usually well organised
    • Make lists and check off completed items
    • Usually have neat and tidy workspace
    • Walk faster with deliberate movements
    • May have straighter posture
    • Seek jobs that given them lots of control
    • Are more casual and unconventional
    • Are more playful
    • Are good at adapting
    • May procrastinate; put off decisions
    • May be tentative and more "wishy washy"
    • Prefer a more leisurely pace
    • Often have "unfinished" look; clothes rumpled, unruly hair, etc.
    • Dress more for comfort
    • Probably have messy car interior
    • Are liable to change goals
    • Prefer to start projects
    • Find rules, systems, and structure confining and limiting
    • Are often disorganised
    • May make lists, but seldom complete all items
    • Usually have messy, cluttered work space
    • May walk slower
    • May slouch more
    • Seek jobs that are fun

What are some heuristics you use to determine whether a person has a Judging or Perceiving preference or bias?

Type
    INTP
    At work, I can often tell who has a Judging preference based on how punctual they are for meetings, and how annoyed and impatient they are with those who are late.
    And then there are the Perceivers who perpetually arrive late in the morning, looking flustered and hoping that no-one notices.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i'm never late for anything work-related. :|

Type
    INTP
    I guess if I had to select the main/first thing I tend to notice... it would be ... how they speak. Let me be a bit more specific.

I think Keirsey breaks it down as I see it in his book Portraits of Temperament wherein he observes early on, within the section "RoleMessages" -- basically, how they communicate (iirc):
    • Perceivers/Informers tend to express themselves in an "informative" sense; in that they rarely don't really assert, they tend to seek, find, offer and explain alternatives and perspectives; also, that they tend to be more reactive in conversation
    • Judgers/Directors tend to express themselves in a "directing" sense; in that they tend to initiate, assert, direct and expect their opinions to be heard if not followed; also, that they tend to be more proactive in conversation

Another heuristic I've picked up along the way is in the distinction between a penchant for order over organization, or vice-versa.

Ps are prone to organization in conceptualization: organization is about bringing things into a coherent whole, about connections between parts, with little emphasis on practical ends, and so generally more spacial than temporal in relating concepts.

Js are prone to order in conceptualization: order is more about putting things in sequence, with respect to criteria and/or necessity relative to some particular goal/practical end, and so generally more temporal than spacial in relating concepts.

... all this as can be apparent in what people say, and how they say it?

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    In praise of INTPness OP at J-land

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ-Wife
    Yes, you read that right.

This thread is the place to share charming - and not-so-charming - anecdotes about the INTPs in our lives.

I started this thread in the Lounge, because I find that the best way to deal with INTPness in people is to not take it - or them - too seriously. And definitely don't trust them. Ever.

Here is what prompted me to start this thread (I'm not, in general, a thread-starter):

My husband returns from his Christmas shopping expedition with, amongst other things, a package of 9v batteries.

He made me press the end of the battery against my tongue, and found the result hilarious.

He was also amused by the fact that I did not know - prior to his little 'experiment' - what happens when you do press a 9v battery to your tongue.

Him: 'Hey, INTJ-Wife, try this, press the end of this battery against your tongue a few times...it's a way to test whether or not a 9v battery is dead.' :wideeyed:

Me: 'What's going to happen if I do that, then? Will I get a shock or something, because if I do, you're for it.' :suspicious:

Him: 'I can't believe you don't know about this! I thought it was something we all learned as kids.'

Me: 'Nope, never heard of it.'

Him: pressing end of battery against tongue thoughtfully

Him: smiling

Him: 'Here, you try it. It feels cool.'

Me: 'No!'

Him: 'Come on...it doesn't hurt. Honest.'

Me: 'Get lost! No.'

Him: 'Please?'

Me: *sighing* 'Okay, give it here.'

Me: takes battery and does it. I press it a few times against my tongue. :stare:

Me: 'Ahhh, god, it's horrible.'

Him: maniacal laughter. :laugh:

Me: 'I can't believe I did that. You wee bugger.'

Him: heheheheehehe. ;D

Him: 'Look what else I bought.....'

By the way, he thinks he made up for it with the lovely little package of Turkish Delight tied with silver ribbon and the white chocolate rose that he bought me while he was out.

He hasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by eNTJ-Wife
    I tell ya' INTJ-Wife, they're 24/7 RL trolls.

In order to get my Christmas present, I must find it. The rules are that he's been dropping verbal or electronic hints for the past week, embedded in his normal conversation. So I've been forced to really focus on what he's saying and since I have a terrible memory for details, writing as much down into a spread sheet.

Unfortunately, he's smarter than I am so this isn't easy. But it's fun and is so him. Bratty!

Type
    INXj
    I feel like a snowflake reading the above traits.

Type
    INTP
    I tell ya' INTJ-Wife, they're 24/7 RL trolls.
    If she means smartasses and evil pranksters, then it's a fair cop.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    ^^^Yeah, there is a good minority of INTPs at this other world, but the thread has been up all day without any additional praise.

Type
    INTP
    I would say that this list is only partially true.

Otaku
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    I think Keirsey breaks it down as I see it in his book Portraits of Temperament wherein he observes early on, within the section "RoleMessages" -- basically, how they communicate (iirc):
    • Perceivers/Informers tend to express themselves in an "informative" sense; in that they rarely don't really assert, they tend to seek, find, offer and explain alternatives and perspectives; also, that they tend to be more reactive in conversation
    • Judgers/Directors tend to express themselves in a "directing" sense; in that they tend to initiate, assert, direct and expect their opinions to be heard if not followed; also, that they tend to be more proactive in conversation
    This is why I think my twin sister is a J. Even if I disagree with someone, I phrase my objection as additional information they may not have taken into account, or an alternative interpretation, to let them come to a conclusion on their own. She wants them to think her way, and takes pleasure and pride in being able to convince them.