Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Limey's photographs

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner

Limes' photographs

Here is where I will share pictures that I have taken, mostly on my travels. Almost every "picture" (image) is post processed in some way. Most will be auto-exposure-bracket sets that are tone mapped into High Dynamic Range images. Basically, I like to paint with light, so that the image represents the sensation I felt from my eye, standing there, which a single photo cannot reproduce with current technology.

The pictures that I like, often differ from those that prove most popular. Here is an example.
    Last month, Grand Canyon south rim at sunset, my personal favorite for now. A man has handily stood up on an outcrop, lending some sense of scale to this massive place. 5,000 feet to the bottom, the north rim is just under ten miles away and is 1,000 feet taller.

Last edited by Limes; 01-25-2018 at 03:11 AM.

Type
    INTP
    That's a great photo.

I love the west. It's a big place.

eyeing you rabbit warrior kitsune's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    a vast moor in the old world brimming with jackrabbits where three rivers decussate
    I love taking pictures, but don't do much post-processing. Mind giving away your trade secrets such as which editing software you use and what kind of camera / lens you have?

"
    'I cannot play with you,' the fox said. 'I am not tamed.'" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Le Petit Prince (1943)

REMINDER TO SELF WHEN DEALING WITH THE RABBIT WARRIOR: "All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu,
    The Art of War

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Woot! This thread is now here!
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Formerly PiccoloNamek Lunar Delta's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Woohoo! Beautiful shot!
    Quote Originally Posted by omnirook
    I like it cold - and raining. That keeps the public private - behind closed doors, where they belong!

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsune View Post
    I love taking pictures, but don't do much post-processing. Mind giving away your trade secrets such as which editing software you use and what kind of camera / lens you have?
    Sure. I'm still using an old, entry level Pentax k-x with the kit 18-55mm lens. It's pretty well beaten up now as I carry it in my backpack without a case and it's got dirt all over the sensor, so I spend too much time, just cleaning up photos from that.

Typically most of my processing is: editing out dust and chromatic aberration, color correction, noise reduction, contrast-brightness-saturation tweaks, edge enhancing focal points, and occasional vignettes.
    I use Corel Paint Shop X5, more out of habit and a resistance to stealing a copy of photoshop than anything. I've been using paint shop since version 2, when it was JASC software. Corel suck and I don't appreciate having to run a resident security nanny just to run a legit copy.
    I also occasionally use Photomatix to create an initial HDR, but I get better results by painting on merged layers manually with a clone brush at 33% transparency, or less. This gets rid of the white halos that you sometimes see on an HDR where foliage meets a skyline, or the edges of a building, where there's supposed to be a vivid shift from light to dark, not a halo buffer.

I also like to do tricks, like set up a mini tripod and have an infrared intervalometer fire off 30-40 shots of a busy scene so that I can edit all of the mouthbreathers out of it.
    Last edited by Limes; 10-18-2014 at 07:30 AM.

eyeing you rabbit warrior kitsune's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    a vast moor in the old world brimming with jackrabbits where three rivers decussate
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    This gets rid of the white halos that you sometimes see on an HDR where foliage meets a skyline, or the edges of a building, where there's supposed to be a vivid shift from light to dark, not a halo buffer.
    I actually never noticed that before. I'll have to check it out.

so that I can edit all of the mouthbreathers out of it.
    I was going to ask you what a mouthbreather was and then ... well ... never mind. You're an INTJ. I figured it out.

"
    'I cannot play with you,' the fox said. 'I am not tamed.'" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Le Petit Prince (1943)

REMINDER TO SELF WHEN DEALING WITH THE RABBIT WARRIOR: "All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu,
    The Art of War

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Oahu, Hawaii, July 2014

A wave hits the breakers at Waikiki beach

A great way to spend a Friday afternoon during a work week. Waimanalo beach

Koko head peak. Koko crater peak is not an easy hike. 1200 feet up an old, disused railtrack to the peak. No fatties!

Looking back toward Waikiki in the distance:

Two people sit atop a disused power transfer platform

Looking back up to the peak under the stars

Rainbow and koko head crater in the distance, as seen from Diamond head

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I fucking love that picture of the wave breaking. Incredible. I thought at first that it was a bat flight.

Type
    INTP
    A wave hits the breakers at Waikiki beach
    This one is awesome. I like that you didn't edit the plane out of the sky. I think a lot of people would have.