Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Limey's photographs

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Do you sell them? Or you're commissioned?

...or just a hobby?
    Just a hobby. I'm taking way less now than I used to, which is a bit of a shame. I don't often even take a camera with me when I travel anymore.
    I know that selling a photo is the only difference between an amateur and professional photographer, since anyone can effectively call themselves a photographer by virtue of having a camera.

I would be lying if I said I didn't get a little kick out of maintaining amateur status if I see a "professional" making worse product. Especially when they daub their picture with x Studios or some such watermark.

I'm effectively giving away content. This very thread gets raided for pictures that get reused by for profit organizations, or otherwise copied without permission.

It's always bothered me that I couldn't capture a full range of light and detail, so when HDR technology and software came along, that was something I wanted to get into, because manually merging composites as layers in a photo editor is a pain, though I do sometimes still do that, especially with that black BMW at night and the pictures where I remove all the people.

Type
    INxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    It's always bothered me that I couldn't capture a full range of light and detail, so when HDR technology and software came along, that was something I wanted to get into, because manually merging composites as layers in a photo editor is a pain, though I do sometimes still do that, especially with that black BMW at night and the pictures where I remove all the people.
    How did you find these new technologies? Do you use them often?

It really is a shame you're taking less. Looks like you have a knack for it.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    How did you find these new technologies? Do you use them often?

It really is a shame you're taking less. Looks like you have a knack for it.
    Erm, I think HDR "tonemapping" came about in the advent of the photomatix software hitting the scene, but I've been compensating for the narrow light range of a single sensor for a while. I've been an avid user of paint shop pro since version 3 in the early nineties (I think we're on V17 now and it's not terrible since Corel bought Jasc) -so I've been "photoshopping" for a while. I just kinda see the exposure merging as a consequence of working with layers in the graphics software.

I just call the picture style of removing all the people, smoke, signs of life etc. "desolation" but I do want to make more of them. I'd like to get a really busy New York junction and have either nothing, or just a single yellow cab, something like that. The problem with building them is that it's painstaking (I kinda like painstaking photography projects, like timelapse) you can wait a long time for every area of a scene to be where you want it to be, in terms of people moving and cars being in the way etc.
    It depends on a lot of factors, but I wouldn't try it with less than eleven autobracket sets (33 photos)

Thanks.
    I should make an effort, no excuse since I bought a very small camera to achieve it. I think I already have dust on the sensor, neoprene skin notwithstanding.
    This past year has been crazy, so I need to stop and smell the roses again.
    Last edited by Limey; 06-26-2017 at 06:01 PM.