Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 350

Thread: Limey's photographs

  1. #271
    singularity precursor Limes's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Between USA and UK
    Posts
    6,738
    INTPx Award Winner
    Alternate process

  2. #272
    singularity precursor Limes's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Between USA and UK
    Posts
    6,738
    INTPx Award Winner
    Pudong dawns



    Pudong nights

  3. #273
    Darth Millenial Scrubjay's Avatar
    Type
    XXXX
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Shimmer
    Posts
    352
    ^
    I like the building in the second picture. Very cool, unique architecture. It changes from a square, to a circle, to a sort of octagon as it goes upwards. I kind of wish it was possible to explore every inch of a skyscraper like that.

  4. #274
    singularity precursor Limes's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Between USA and UK
    Posts
    6,738
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubjay View Post
    ^
    I like the building in the second picture. Very cool, unique architecture. It changes from a square, to a circle, to a sort of octagon as it goes upwards. I kind of wish it was possible to explore every inch of a skyscraper like that.
    The arc of white light in that picture is the city lights hitting particulates in the atmosphere. The air pollution was so pretty that night.

  5. #275
    Darth Millenial Scrubjay's Avatar
    Type
    XXXX
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Shimmer
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    The arc of white light in that picture is the city lights hitting particulates in the atmosphere. The air pollution was so pretty that night.
    Air pollution often makes for pretty skies.

  6. #276
    singularity precursor Limes's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Between USA and UK
    Posts
    6,738
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubjay View Post
    Air pollution often makes for pretty skies.
    This one from outside the George Washington Masonic National Memorial was like that. It looks overprocessed, but the sky was filled with hot pink bands and it was all vibrant and saturated in color.
    A real vanilla sky in old town Alexandria.
    edit: the only inaccurate thing about his picture is the lamp shining onto the building appears green, where, to the naked eye, it appears a different color temperature. I think that's caused by sodium bulbs, not sure though. I really should have edited it out, but it would have taken a while.

    Last edited by Limes; 09-12-2017 at 11:20 PM.

  7. #277
    unbeknownst Lilith's Avatar
    Type
    INXj
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Underworld
    Posts
    908
    Do you sell them? Or you're commissioned?

    ...or just a hobby?

  8. #278
    singularity precursor Limes's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Between USA and UK
    Posts
    6,738
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Do you sell them? Or you're commissioned?

    ...or just a hobby?
    Just a hobby. I'm taking way less now than I used to, which is a bit of a shame. I don't often even take a camera with me when I travel anymore.
    I know that selling a photo is the only difference between an amateur and professional photographer, since anyone can effectively call themselves a photographer by virtue of having a camera.

    I would be lying if I said I didn't get a little kick out of maintaining amateur status if I see a "professional" making worse product. Especially when they daub their picture with x Studios or some such watermark.

    I'm effectively giving away content. This very thread gets raided for pictures that get reused by for profit organizations, or otherwise copied without permission.

    It's always bothered me that I couldn't capture a full range of light and detail, so when HDR technology and software came along, that was something I wanted to get into, because manually merging composites as layers in a photo editor is a pain, though I do sometimes still do that, especially with that black BMW at night and the pictures where I remove all the people.

  9. #279
    unbeknownst Lilith's Avatar
    Type
    INXj
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Underworld
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    It's always bothered me that I couldn't capture a full range of light and detail, so when HDR technology and software came along, that was something I wanted to get into, because manually merging composites as layers in a photo editor is a pain, though I do sometimes still do that, especially with that black BMW at night and the pictures where I remove all the people.
    How did you find these new technologies? Do you use them often?

    It really is a shame you're taking less. Looks like you have a knack for it.

  10. #280
    singularity precursor Limes's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Between USA and UK
    Posts
    6,738
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    How did you find these new technologies? Do you use them often?

    It really is a shame you're taking less. Looks like you have a knack for it.
    Erm, I think HDR "tonemapping" came about in the advent of the photomatix software hitting the scene, but I've been compensating for the narrow light range of a single sensor for a while. I've been an avid user of paint shop pro since version 3 in the early nineties (I think we're on V17 now and it's not terrible since Corel bought Jasc) -so I've been "photoshopping" for a while. I just kinda see the exposure merging as a consequence of working with layers in the graphics software.

    I just call the picture style of removing all the people, smoke, signs of life etc. "desolation" but I do want to make more of them. I'd like to get a really busy New York junction and have either nothing, or just a single yellow cab, something like that. The problem with building them is that it's painstaking (I kinda like painstaking photography projects, like timelapse) you can wait a long time for every area of a scene to be where you want it to be, in terms of people moving and cars being in the way etc.
    It depends on a lot of factors, but I wouldn't try it with less than eleven autobracket sets (33 photos)

    Thanks.
    I should make an effort, no excuse since I bought a very small camera to achieve it. I think I already have dust on the sensor, neoprene skin notwithstanding.
    This past year has been crazy, so I need to stop and smell the roses again.
    Last edited by Limes; 06-26-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •