Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Limey's photographs

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    The challenge from a work associate: Take pictures of his new black BMW M6, at night, with no tripod, to include a New York City view. Challenge accepted, but tough to achieve a result.

Type
    INFP
    ^I could see that in a magazine ad. There's a beautiful range of colors in all the photos.

Type
    INTj
    You could make some serious money as a photographer, at your skill level.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Thank you, thank you!
    I should upgrade my camera and try to sell a picture some time so I can call myself professional!

Back to Hawaii

Looking along Diamond state park toward Doris Duke's Shangri-La - the white building in the distance with the rectangular windows

Looking the other way.
    I found that skimming volcanic rocks into the water was a bad idea. It tears your skin up pretty quickly. I'd hate to fall onto that stuff!

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Re: EXIF data. (lack thereof)
    There are a couple of reasons:

These images are not photographs in the true sense. They are more often composites of auto-bracketed sets. I don't think any posted so-far have been just one exposure, except maybe the koko head stars one, which I post-processed the shit out of.
    Therefore, I don't think that the EXIF data is very useful, if looking at it to gauge exposure information, such as ISO.

As for regular settings, I have set my camera to sharp and vivid, most pictures are ISO400, White balance is usually auto, but my camera nearly always gets it wrong so it's usually one of the first things I alter manually. Focal length again varies by the individual frame, since I'm set up in AEB settings to refocus each exposure and sometimes the background will select, when the light level changes (to the background for example) - e.g. the car shots above, the city *and* the car were out of focus between individual exposures, although the image is made up from a 0 exposure from two manual focus sets (so that everything is in focus except for the parking lot wall).

Another reason for a lack of EXIF is because I once read about a copyright claim, which was proven because the original image holder was the only one that could provide it in a copyright claim. I don't know if this example is practical, or applicable to me, but if I'm already giving this stuff away at at least screen res. and without a watermark, and creative commons non-commercial/attribution, then I might as well at least retain EXIF as a possibly final mark of authenticity/source. As it goes, I'm already seeing way too much of my stuff (work?) in public without being correctly attributed to me - example found just last week in a quick image search (mine is the New York picture): http://republicofgeek.com/2012/05/ba...oruscant-wins/

Type
    INXj
    The waves speak to me. They're so alive. Oh, nostalgia.

/Fi

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Brace yourselves.
    Here are some of my own favorites from my own pictures, of the last 3-4 years, for people here that didn't see the old place (whose name we do not speak) same-thread:

New York City morning from 30-rock

First light of dawn from 6th Ave, NYC

San Francisco Golden Gate, blue hour

New York's South street sea port (on a freezing cold night)

Nanjing road, Shanghai by night (being peddled "chicki-chicki" massage, knock off goods,and even heroin multiple times)

"The light at the end of the tunnel" (tunnels in the headland at Marin, CA)

Smokey mountain cabin barbecue

Cloud Gate, Chicago, desolate. Believe it or not, this is actually 5pm on a Friday evening. Right before I headed to the airport. desolation is achieved because this is 33 images, or actually 11 sets of auto brackets.

7th Ave (looking back from Times Sq)

Although not a personal favorite, this one gets stolen/reproduced enough online to suggest it's popular. Marin headland haze:

"Close Encounters" - 6000 feet up in the Wasatch mountains, near the Utah-Wyoming border

Gulls watch the red/orange sunset on Pismo beach, California (I actually got whined at for driving from SFO to LA, instead of flying but I'm glad and I'd do it again. My dad would have loved it, because as we hit the outskirts of San Jose, Bob Dylans "Spanish boots of Spanish leather" came on the radio and the aroma of fresh Garlic filled the air. It was an experience.

Marin Headland - probably my favorite place in the US to go hang out for no particular reason. There just seems to be something special about the place. Another where a song came on as I left (out of over 700 on my mp3 list - Dock o' the bay played right on cue as I drove back down to Sausalito. The song is a posthumous release - the whistled parts, Redding hadn't written lyrics to, before dying in a plane Crash in 1967

Marin Sunset

Human Beehive 2 - at 6th Ave, NYC

Empire state

Warwick Castle and its c1088 motte, where a lot of my ancestors came from back in Warwick, midlands, UK

This one is my car coming out of the garage which I think lends itself really well to a large black wallpaper, where it should merge out of the darkness and fit any screensize

I keep seeing more, which is going to be overkill, so I'll just cut it short for now and add more later...
    Last edited by Limes; 02-04-2018 at 07:18 AM.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    "All right mister DeMille, I'm ready for my closeup"

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    MD88 on final approach to the sun

"Supermoon" (perigee apsis moon) Wallpaper size

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    This guy sounds INTJ, with J up the ass. He's doing a lot of the same things that I am in a lot of the same places, except hardcore scheduling, planning, disaster recovery, execution etc. (54 min video)

The only objection that I had was that he said he wasn't a professional photographer, but then said he sells photos. He's just not a full time photographer. I've always defined the only delimiter in this non-certified field, between amateur, hobbyist, and professional, is whether you've legitimately sold your work to a customer.