Thread: Statistics and Political Advocacy

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP

Statistics and Political Advocacy

Herein, like American Society as a whole, we are often informed of the Paramount importance of statistics in illustrating blatant injustice that, like insidious slender serpents, is woven into the very fabric of our culture. Too, if you causally search for crusaders using these statistics to right the wrongs, ye shall find. So I ask:

U.S. Incarceration Rate per 100,000 Men, by Race/Ethnicity, 2008
    http://kff.org/disparities-policy/st...ceration-rate/

Black ---- 3,611 per 100K
    Hispanic --- 836 per 100K
    White ------ 610 per 100K
    Asian/NHPI - 185 per 100k
    WTF is up with this blatant Favoritism shown to Asians and Native Hawaiians or other Pacific Islanders (NHPI)?

I doubt I will here inspire a great urge for Justice in this matter, as we are all able to understand that these statistics are not the complete story. It is like doing a moon-shot and estimating by eye the various angles in the equations.

Many of you may have seen national stories about the democrats protesting in my state of North Carolina after having lost power for the first time since Reconstruction. Among a laundry list of complaints on the voter's minds, is the introduction of a statistical demonstration of racial biased being used to vacate convictions for extremely violent crimes, where otherwise, the evidence and judicial proceedings are not lacking in credibility.

We see this sort of reliance on statistics, and even worse, 'Cooked Statistics' being spouted by various advocates in the political arena. These gripping 'Factoids' often find themselves shaping the re-vamped rules that govern our society.

Indeed, I have recently here made note of such steamy statistics as it relates to Date-Rape, but the list is easy to add to if you look. And such is a Clear & Present Danger to Justice & Freedom.

As an exercise, I would like to see if we could explain why this is not a reflection of Blatant Favoritism for Asians and Native Hawaiians or other Pacific Islanders (NHPI) as it relates to the US penal system.

PS: Native Hawaiians shouldn't actually be part of this category as they are very much indeed the most incarcerated per capita in the state of Hawaii, and there numbers greatly distort upward the Asian total US percentage to the 185/100k level.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I would suggest that this is a case of focusing on a symptom and ignoring the cause.

What I mean by that is that assuming for a second that there is exactly zero bias in the law enforcement and judicial system, you could reasonably ask "Why are black and Hispanic Americans engaging in criminal activity so much more frequently than Asian Americans?" and look for the underlying causes. Because there's clearly something going on there.

I'm not really all that interested in trying to solve this particular problem other than if you think throwing bilingual education at Hispanic kids in the city where I live is going to help.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.