Thread: Outstanding dreams

Type
    INFP

Outstanding dreams

Describe them "Outstanding" includes: best, scariest, weirdest, happiest, est of any type.

Do they symbolize anything to you? (it's just fun to think about.)

Type
    INTJ
    I very rarely dream, but I just had a great one this morning, in the time where you've already woken up but drifted back off again.
    I dreamed that I got to meet my childhood dog, Max again (German shepherd and Border Collie mix, runt of the litter/small)
    We were both a little bit younger and his whole body was wagging he was so happy. It was like he came up to give me a no-arms hug.

I'm a pessimist and skeptic, so my first thought upon was "this had better not be a portent to a forthcoming experience in a supposed afterlife".

I generally don't recall dreams often at all, remembering nothing and when I do, it's usually just surreal and/or weird stuff, like my brain pulls things randomly out of my conscious and dresses them up, mixes them around and runs a little play production with the material. So I'm a bit suspicious at my brain deciding to give me a reunion with my old dog.

Type
    INTP
    I once had a week long nightmare fest that was absolutely insane. It's funny I didn't see this thread the first time around because it was originally created less than 2 months from when it happened:

The week that I graduated from grad school I had a string of the most vivid and terrifying nightmares of my entire life. I guess it was a stress release? My mom, aunt, and cousin were in town visiting for my graduation (this detail will matter later).

For about 8 nights these nightmares contained some twisted stuff like reaching out to find a wall was actually made of snakes, or being chased by monsters that were the environment itself. But there was also a reoccurring theme in most of them: my father (who is deceased in real life) had been brought back to life and was possessed by a demon. <-- that one bothered me more than any of it, mostly because I feel like "the only time I could see my dad" is in my dreams and this monster was stealing that from me. It wasn't that he looked different, it was that I could just tell that it wasn't him, it was an imposter. These nightmares were so intense that by the end of the week I was actually afraid of falling asleep.

Anyway, two nightmares in particular from that week stand out pretty vividly to this day:

A few nights into this one of them was *so vivid* that I woke up the next morning not even realizing it was dream. As I mentioned my mom, aunt, and cousin were in town and I dreamt that I was driving all of them in my car. I could tell you the exact intersection we were on when my mom turned to me and told me that my grandmother had died the night before. When I woke up the next morning my memory of this hit me as if this were something that actually happened the day before. I woke up with little to no memory at first and then it hit me that she "died" (she lived another 18 months after this to age 94). When I called my mom to coordinate picking her up from the hotel the conversation went like this:

Mom: Hello, are you about on your way?
    Me: Yeah, I should be there soon...... so uh... about nana?
    Mom: Yes? What about her? You missed her birthday, but that's ok.
    Me: ... wait what?
    Mom: What?
    Me: You mean she's ok? I could have sworn you said... she.. died yesterday. Holy crap, did I dream that?!! I swear this happened!
    Mom: [sympathetic sigh] You're very tired and stressed out.

There were a few more terrifying nightmares to come after that, but I was able to tell those were not real when I woke up.

Then the finale to all these awful things, as I said, happened about 8 nights after it started.

For that one -- the demon that had taken over my dad was terrorizing me, but somehow I was able to turn the tables on this thing to where *I* was now chasing *it*. I chased it to this large open spinning circle with a lot of symbols on it, and no where to walk off the edge. When I had it cornered I said to it directly "you're not my dad! Who are you?! Why are you here?" and then it instantly changed forms into a different man with similar features to my father, but definitely not looking like him anymore.

It said "don't you recognize me?" ....I didn't, I've never seen that guy before.

Then it leaned in very close to me, as it did his face turned into a convex mirror and reflected my own face back to me. Then he said "I'm you."

And then I woke up.

Since then my dad has returned to being my dad ever since. When I dream about him he's usually driving a car and I'm sitting in the passenger's seat as we quietly drive around. It's really nice actually. He enters my dreams every 3-4 months.

Type
    intp
    I had a strange one last night that may not lend itself well to writing down, but I'll try.

It's somewhere around 1993 and my roomy and I are riding motorcycles (dirt bikes - not street legal) down the side of an interstate newly being constructed (not yet open to traffic). There's an actual trail about 1 foot wide on the ride side of the interstate for motorcycles which even includes a sign "Motorcycles here". I recall coming upon the interstate on our motorbikes, my roomy leery of the legality of using the road, and pointing to the sign with confidence.

We went tearing down the interstate criss crossing and ramping the banks on either side having fun. My bike at this point had two front tires, but not like you think. The handlebars were separated into distinct units (front tire, handlebar and foot rest for the left hand/foot and ditto for the right) and not connected at all to the seat, engine and rear tire. In my mind this was a cool customization I had done, and as I road I would spread my feet (and thus the front tires) wide apart on a tight corner and then bring them together to ramp up a slope.

We stopped when we came upon a police car sitting in the road ahead, the policeman giving us the stink eye. He didn't do anything, so we decided to ride on past. When i took off i had a momentary bit of confusion with my front tires (being separate units) and how the hell to get moving without the whole contraption toppling into a heap. I put my left foot and hand on one front unit while holding the right front unit off the ground to get going. Once I got some speed I smoothly set the right one down and stumbled my right foot onto it's foothold before it squirreled away. It was working! I gave roomy a grin and a wink at my success.

Then the empty under construction interstate came to an end and turned into a real fully operational interstate with no marked cycle trail and lots of traffic. Conveniently enough roomy and I were able to stop and re-assemble our two cycles together into a single street legal vehicle. In the dream this took quite a bit of time with roomy and I discussing how to fit things together properly, but I will fast forward...

Everything goes downhill from here. We jump into our newly assembled SUV, myself at the wheel, and start the engine. Immediately the engine roars without my hitting the gas, the vehicle gears forward without me putting it in gear. I hold the breaks to try to stop us, but this only achieves a momentary decline in acceleration before the breaks burn off and become useless. I turn off the key, the engine goes quiet, but the direction of travel is a 45 degree slope down as far as the eye can see and the acceleration continues to pile.

I'm weaving around traffic hoping for a slope reversal when a minivan appears on the horizon going the wrong way in our lane. Our combined speed is so fast that it's only seconds before we meet, both attempting to dodge the other in the same direction like two clowns trying to pass each other on the sidewalk. We crash. I woke up.

Edit: What does it all mean? I think it means I'm bored a lot and miss the freedom of being single and twenty. But I do feel safe. lol
    Last edited by stigmatica; 02-27-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    eNTP
    The details of the dream are less important than the conclusion. I had a couple robotic companions I'd made--dog grade. They weren't trying to be human in appearance. Working together we took down a would be robber/assailant. A human friend was disturbed because they way we did it revealed that my robots had a much higher level of intellect and creativity than I'd let on. I explained my belief that humans wouldn't accept a robot being more creative and inventive than they were.

Said friend then called in some well versed in the field of home robotics, we explained the scenario and he agreed with me with a chuckle. Turned out that one of the things about my assertion that had upset my friend was that I had math to demonstrate it--ironically an equation made with the help of my more creative robot. Said friend wanted to throw that at the robo-expert, and after looking around a bit, it turned out, one of my robots had surreptitiously wiped the equation, recognizing that the same sort of human who couldn't handle the abstract truth, also couldn't handle the math.

I didn't even realize I had this prejudice--but I totally do. People barely tolerate robots being highly skilled when the skills are all state-machine mechanical algorithms. They'll lose their shit when AI demonstrates credible creativity in problem solving and MacGuyvers a solution to a problem they weren't specifically programmed to handle.

I miss my robot companions.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    eNTP
    Fair warning, robot themed again, but with a twist. This time the robots were fictional. I discovered a tv show from the late 80's to mid 90's about a crime fighting team that included robots that were notorious for sexual harassing their human handlers.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.