Thread: Have we no wine here?

Type
    INTP

Have we no wine here?

I've recently started drinking wine. I know pretty much nothing about it, and was wondering if anyone knows any good sources that are succinct about it.

I prefer red wine, and I think I like Merlot the most. I'm still testing the different types of red. I have so much drinking to do!

Anyone have any recommendations with reasonable prices? Since I'm new at this, I'm hesitant to pay a lot for a bottle of wine (particularly since I've already discovered a few really delicious cheap wines I like more than some pricier ones).

I live in California so I probably have a lot of amazzzing cheap wine all around me and don't realize it. Halp!!

Type
    INTP
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    eNTP
    Sideways was an intensely boring movie. Never have I found myself so urgently desirous of doing housework as when I attempted to watch that turd.

Merlot is tricky. I stick with cheap wines because they tend to be consistent.

However, cheap doesn't include any wine with a picture of an animal on it. Those are consistently terrible, and that's not the sort of consistency that draws me back for another drink.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    Sideways was an intensely boring movie. Never have I found myself so urgently desirous of doing housework as when I attempted to watch that turd.
    LOL. I loved it! The INTJ + ESTP combo was hilarious. I just have a little problem with the ending.

Spoiler: SPOILER ALERT
    You know when they show him get into his car after his friend's wedding and he comes to a crossroads and turns the other way, I think it should have ended there instead of following him right up to the knock on the door.
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    LOL. I loved it! The INTJ + ESTP combo was hilarious. I just have a little problem with the ending.

Spoiler: SPOILER ALERT
    You know when they show him get into his car after his friend's wedding and he comes to a crossroads and turns the other way, I think it should have ended there instead of following him right up to the knock on the door.
    Regarding the spoiler... no. I don't have any strong memory of that movie. When I think of that movie, I remember seeing them driving in a car, flagrantly violating open container laws, and then I remember sweeping, emptying the dishwasher, scrubbing the toilet, and I think I did my taxes, or I might just have payed some bills. I dunno. My memory gets a little fuzzy because it was about that point I realized I was actively avoiding watching that movie so I turned it off and suddenly, all was right with the world and I could veg out on the couch and relax.

Which is another reason I wouldn't remember that. I never saw the end. I never even got close.

Regarding the rule about animals on the label: the last three times I tried a wine I found disappointing, an inspection of the label uncovered an animal I had overlooked. Sometimes the graphic artists who design those labels are tricky dastards. But it's so consistent. It's like a secret code.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    Regarding the rule about animals on the label: the last three times I tried a wine I found disappointing, an inspection of the label uncovered an animal I had overlooked. Sometimes the graphic artists who design those labels are tricky dastards. But it's so consistent. It's like a secret code.
    Awesome! Thank you! Now see that's a type of wine discerning rationale I can get on board with!

Edit: also, I've never seen sideways, but those clips look cool and now I wanna watch it. How haven't I seen this yet? I love Paul Giamatti

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Awesome! Thank you! Now see that's a type of wine discerning rationale I can get on board with!

Edit: also, I've never seen sideways, but those clips look cool and now I wanna watch it. How haven't I seen this yet? I love Paul Giamatti
    If you have Netflix, and can find Creature Comforts: USA, watch the first episode. It opens with a bit that's highly relevant. There is some risk of losing some time to the program though. It's pretty well done.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations with reasonable prices? Since I'm new at this, I'm hesitant to pay a lot for a bottle of wine (particularly since I've already discovered a few really delicious cheap wines I like more than some pricier ones).

I live in California so I probably have a lot of amazzzing cheap wine all around me and don't realize it. Halp!!
    Ptah had a thread a while back pretty much just like this. You might find some info in that thread.

Anyways, I think you are doing it right, just try stuff until you find what you like. Don't fall for the con that you have to drink pricey stuff or it's not good. Lots of blind taste tests show cheap wines rate highly as often as not.

I don't concur with the animal guidleine, this is one of my favorite cheap wines (but I think this just goes to show, personal taste is all that is really relevant):