Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Word of the Fucking Day

Type
    INTP

Word of the Fucking Day

GASLIGHTING:

When someone (WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHERE HE LEFT HIS BALLS) says TOTALLY NOT RANDOMLY OR CASUALLY VERBALIZED SHIT that you're supposed to draw inferences from, and then when you draw the inference, you are supposed to PROMPTLY SHUT THE FUCK UP because saying something will make you LOOK LIKE YOU ARE FUCKING CRAZY not to mention that anyone else who hears that story will also think YOU'RE FUCKING INSANE because really you just had to be there.

FUCK. FUCK THIS. FUCK. THIS.

I'm not crazy. Crazy people think things they can't say. That's not me. THAT'S YOU. YOU'RE CRAZY. WHY?? BECAUSE:

• Person who can't say shit so instead they say somethig else = FUCKING CRAZY
    • Innocent recipient of that bullshit = NOT CRAZY BUT MAYBE GOING CRAZY PRETTY FUCKING SOON

Get it??

Great, now everybody can post their fucking words of the fucking day, but it better be a fucking day and not a regular day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    GASLIGHTING:

When someone (WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHERE SHE LEFT HER TITS) presents false information with the intent of making victims doubt their own memory, perception, and sanity.
    Little bit sexist? Don't worry, I fixed it for you. I've openly confronted a few people for this is in public, gaslighting that is.

Type
    INTP
    What is this thread even about? What is gas lighting?

Type
    INFP
    fuck
    Probably cognate with Dutch fokken to mock (15th cent.), to strike (1591), to fool, gull (1623), to beget children (1637), to have sexual intercourse with (1657), to grow, cultivate (1772), Norwegian regional fukka to copulate, Swedish regional fokka to copulate (compare Swedish regional fock penis), further etymology uncertain: perhaps < an Indo-European root meaning ‘to strike’ also shown by classical Latin pugnus fist (see pugnacious adj.). Perhaps compare Old Icelandic fjúka to be driven on, tossed by the wind, feykja to blow, drive away, Middle High German fochen to hiss, to blow. Perhaps compare also Middle High German ficken to rub, early modern German ficken to rub, itch, scratch, German ficken to have sexual intercourse with (1558), German regional ficken to rub, to make short fast movements, to hit with rods, although the exact nature of any relationship is unclear.
    On the suggested Indo-European etymology (and for a suggestion that the word was probably a strong verb during its earlier history in English) see especially R. Lass ‘Four letters in search of an etymology’ in Diachronica 12 (1995) 99–111.

It seems certain that the word was current (in transitive use) before the early 16th cent., although the only surviving attestation shows a Latin inflectional ending in a Latin-English macaronic text: see quot. a1500 and note at sense 1b. See discussion at fucker n. on various supposed (but very doubtful) earlier occurrences of the word in surnames. However, if the bird name windfucker n. (also fuckwind n.) is ultimately related, it is interesting to note an occurrence of the surname Ric' Wyndfuk' , Ric' Wyndfuck' de Wodehous' (1287 in documents related to Sherwood Forest) which may show another form of the bird name. Use in a sense ‘to strike’ could perhaps also be reflected by the surname Fuckebegger' (1287); perhaps compare the Anglo-Norman surname Butevilein (literally ‘strike the churl or wretch’), found in the 12th and 13th centuries. For discussion of a possible (although not certain) occurrence of fucking n. in a field name fockynggroue recorded in a Bristol charter of c1373 see R. Coates ‘Fockynggroue in Bristol’ in N. & Q. 252 (2007) 373–6.

Many alternative theories have been suggested as to the origin of this word. Explanations as an acronym are often suggested, but are obviously much later rationalizations.

Despite widespread use over a long period and in many sections of society, fuck remains (and has been for centuries) one of the English words most avoided as taboo. Until relatively recently it rarely appeared in print, and there are still a number of euphemistic ways of referring to it (compare e.g. eff v., feck v.2, F-word n., F-word v.); ferk in quot. 1680 at sense 1c probably likewise shows a deliberately altered spelling. It is also frequently written with asterisks, dashes, etc., to represent suppressed letters, so as to avoid the charge of obscenity. Modern quotations for the term before the 1960s typically come from private sources or from texts which were privately printed, especially on the mainland of Europe. Bailey (1721) included the word (defined ‘Foeminam Subagitare ’), but not Johnson (1755), Webster (1828), and later 19th- and early 20th-cent. dictionaries. Partridge (1937) included the word as ‘f*ck ’, noting that ‘the efforts of James Joyce and D. H. Lawrence have not restored it to its orig. dignified status [in dictionaries]’. A gradual relaxation in the interpretation of obscenity laws in the U.K. followed the unsuccessful prosecution in 1960 of Penguin Books Ltd. (under the Obscene Publications Act of 1959) for the publication in the London edition of D. H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover (see, for example, quot. 1928 at sense 1b). The first modern dictionary of general English to include an entry for the verb fuck was G. N. Garmonsway's Penguin English Dictionary of 1965.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Passive-aggressive nonsense is annoying. I suppose what one is supposed to do is to pretend that one is too stupid to figure it out.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    ..What is gas lighting?
    What The Men in Black would do if they didn't have the memory eraser thingy.

Have you been under a lot of stress lately?
    Are you taken any type of medication?

From an old B&W flick where the chick has every reason to be scared of the dude, but the dude about has her convinced she is paranoid & hallucinating.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    What The Men in Black would do if they didn't have the memory eraser thingy.

I wish the Men in Black were real, so they could erase my memories of Men in Black 2. I didn't bother with the third one.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab_Bulkhead View Post
    I wish the Men in Black were real, so they could erase my memories of Men in Black 2. I didn't bother with the third one.
    LOL, true.

@ Repper: No (I should make a joke about you're just being paranoid, but it might not fly ) I was just doing what is generally safe, albeit annoying, for me to do: Answer general questions.
    /social blight
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    the first recorded instance of the F-word in English. It's in a copy of Cicero’s guide to moral conduct.

And about the word crazy when used to describe women: Men really need to stop calling women crazy. I'm annoyed by the title of this piece for some reason, but it is still worth reading.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnea View Post
    the first recorded instance of the F-word in English. It's in a copy of Cicero’s guide to moral conduct.

And about the word crazy when used to describe women: Men really need to stop calling women crazy. I'm annoyed by the title of this piece for some reason, but it is still worth reading.
    But what about the ones who are? There are no crazy women? (I don't think the OP qualifies.) "Craziness" to me involves a certain amount of dishonesty and manipulation, or perhaps envy and resentment. I don't use it to mean "having strong emotions."

And finally, what about the men?