Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Invent superstitions

Type
    INFP

Invent superstitions

Don't drink more than 1 cup of water per day or else you'll dilute your personality

People who have unattached earlobes shouldn't be trusted because their ears are trying to leave their bodies and they're also more likely to eavesdrop

Quickly pressing the delete key on your keyboard one hundred times in a row will result in the death of someone you know

Type
    INTP
    If you don't go to church every week you will go to Hell.

Am I doing it right?

Type
    INTP
    Some of this sounds like OCD. I think anglosaxons have a lot of personal OCD habits for some reason. I can't really think of OCD-related habits but I do like a few superstitious rituals (lighting candles is one).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INFP
    ^I don't really believe them (I don't think I'm a superstitious person). I just made them up now, for fun.

Type
    INTP
    To be a convincing, a superstition should have some basis in fact/truth. Just my opinion. If something is too outlandish, it wont be believed (I assume that is the goal here?) whereas a partial truth can be very convincing to a person not willing to do the research.

Type
    INFP
    No goal or rules or single intent, and I'm not asking for feedback on the ones I made up, those were just supposed to be examples-- I just thought it would be fun for people to make up superstitions (that's why this is a playground thread).

You can make the superstitions you invent as outlandish or realistic as you want.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    To be a convincing, a superstition should have some basis in fact/truth. Just my opinion. If something is too outlandish, it wont be believed (I assume that is the goal here?) whereas a partial truth can be very convincing to a person not willing to do the research.
    I don't agree what about all those people who believe in astrology. No basis exists they just say general crap that can apply to anyone.

Type
    INTP
    Excellent point. Astrology was conceived in something like 3000 bc, and was considered to hold some truths based on what was known at the time all the way til the 17th century. The perception of the masses and the scholars of the time leaned toward it being true, and subseqent studies probably led to modern day astronomy and actual science. We now know that it is nonsense, and those who follow it have no excuses. Point being, its basis originally was what was thought of as common knowledge. I have no clue as to why such a superstition has survived for so long after having been debunked countless times. Thoughts?

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I don't agree what about all those people who believe in MBTI. No basis exists they just say general crap that can apply to anyone.
    That's true.

When you live in a bright place, you get used to light, and it starts affecting you less. When you live in a dark place, you get used to the dark, and it starts affecting you less. When you live in a violent place, you get used to the violence, and it starts affecting you less.

And when you skydive enough, you get used to gravity, and it starts affecting you less.

That's not nearly as much fun as you're probably thinking.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    That's true.

When you live in a bright place, you get used to light, and it starts affecting you less. When you live in a dark place, you get used to the dark, and it starts affecting you less. When you live in a violent place, you get used to the violence, and it starts affecting you less.

And when you skydive enough, you get used to gravity, and it starts affecting you less.

That's not nearly as much fun as you're probably thinking.
    Hahaha I see what you did there. I actually agree with that statement, it probably is pretty baseless crap. I don't take it very seriously myself but I know a lot of people on here take it as the indisputable truth.