Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: Tacoma

  1. #1
    Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    LA County
    Posts
    2,766

    Tacoma

    Someone give me the nitty-gritty rundown on this place.

    At this point, I think there's a 65% chance I end up there by the end of September, perhaps a 20% chance I end up in Seattle, and a 15% chance of "other" (Eugene, Portland, Albuquerque, Oakland, DC, NYC, etc).

    What I've gathered on my own:

    #1 Is relatively close to Seattle
    #2 Is cheaper than Seattle
    #3 Has acceptable public transportation, maybe 1.5-2 hrs to Seattle
    #4 I could live there for 6 months or so cheaply, then move to Korea, or Seattle
    #5 There's a university there, where I could potentially find myself employed

    What do you guys/gals/other know about it?

  2. #2
    libertine librarian sandwitch's Avatar
    Type
    intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    flyover territory
    Posts
    1,356
    People have tried to tell me that Tacoma is "okay now" but I'm skeptical. About half of the people who tell me this are originally from Idaho.

    I think I would probably prefer Olympia, but Tacoma might have more employment opportunities. North Everett's supposed to be kinda okay. You could also be a part of gentrifying Beacon Hill, Columbia City, or Georgetown.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    LA County
    Posts
    2,766
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    North Everett's supposed to be kinda okay. You could also be a part of gentrifying Beacon Hill, Columbia City, or Georgetown.
    What are these? Tell me more.

    Also remember that I'm departing from Isla Vista, California. Basically anything would be a drastic improvement on my current situation in terms of livability and employment opportunities.

    Basically, tell me what to do. I need to figure something out fast and I'm pretty sure that SoCal will destroy my body if I give it anymore time (sunlight, allergies, etc).

  4. #4
    Vacantly Occupied rincon's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    By the beach
    Posts
    695
    I completely understand your desire to get out of IV. But I love the Santa Barbara area and plan on enjoying the life here for the forseeable future. Diff'rent strokes...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    #5 There's a university there, where I could potentially find myself employed
    Is there a particular job opportunity there? Because there are a lot more universities in Seattle itself, I think.

  6. #6
    Meae Musae Servus Hephaestus's Avatar
    Type
    eNTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    People have tried to tell me that Tacoma is "okay now" but I'm skeptical.
    I've heard this too, but I'm pretty sure it's still the where the bulk of crime in the SeaTac area is concentrated. On the plus side, I don't notice it by smell anymore when driving past it on the interstate.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    LA County
    Posts
    2,766
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseedesBeauxArts View Post
    Is there a particular job opportunity there? Because there are a lot more universities in Seattle itself, I think.
    I'm willing to go anywhere around Seattle. I just don't know the area well enough to know what's a good fit. Although I'm basing a lot of my thinking on my experience with moving to San Francisco and being forced out into Oakland. Seattle is likely nowhere near as bad as SF, but it's still up there.

    Quote Originally Posted by rincon View Post
    I completely understand your desire to get out of IV. But I love the Santa Barbara area and plan on enjoying the life here for the forseeable future. Diff'rent strokes...
    No car + fair skin + bad allergies = fuk this place. Oh, and the art scene sucks. Funk zone sucks. Seems like there's ample employment for engineers in Goleta though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I've heard this too, but I'm pretty sure it's still the where the bulk of crime in the SeaTac area is concentrated. On the plus side, I don't notice it by smell anymore when driving past it on the interstate.
    You've gotta remember that I'm someone who has spent the majority of the last 6 or so years in Central LA and Oakland, CA... And enjoyed them both in comparison to other "safer" places.

  8. #8
    Meae Musae Servus Hephaestus's Avatar
    Type
    eNTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    You've gotta remember that I'm someone who has spent the majority of the last 6 or so years in Central LA and Oakland, CA... And enjoyed them both in comparison to other "safer" places.
    Good point.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

  9. #9
    Vacantly Occupied rincon's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    By the beach
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    No car + fair skin + bad allergies = fuk this place. Oh, and the art scene sucks.
    Yep.

    Funk zone sucks.
    Not completely, there are some bright spots.

    Seems like there's ample employment for engineers in Goleta though
    There is. But it's a small world, you gotta know people. Having graduated from UCSB helps a lot, especially at entry level.

  10. #10
    libertine librarian sandwitch's Avatar
    Type
    intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    flyover territory
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    Basically, tell me what to do.
    The magic words.

    I haven't paid rent anywhere in Seattle for a few years now, but I get the impression that the area is mostly about building connections. Since you're unemployed and don't have ties in the area, you could take advantage of the free labor/free lodgings arrangements with wwoof/helpx/whatever to get an in on things. Try to move around the area a bit before picking a spot- especially check out the islands and peninsula if you can. Maybe your artisty networks can help you out. If you haven't made a couchsurfing account yet, do that. Go to those awful social things and meet a lot of people before you sign a lease anywhere.

    I've seen some sketchy craigslist posts for co-ops in the Seattle area that reduce rent for artists/activists/other idealist people, you could try that shit, too. You need to be looking for houses where you can rent a bedroom or closet and tolerate your housemates. I've also overheard numerous conversations on the bus from homeless guys who squat in abandoned cars. Lots of options.

    FYI- university employment in Seattle proper is extremely nepotist. You might have better chances at institutions in the greater metro area, but Washington's still cutting the education budget.

    Disclaimer to my advice- I moved out of Seattle a few years ago because I couldn't get sustaining work. I was renting from a friend and sharing a bedroom, so the rent wasn't unreasonable- but the market was. Now I'm unemployed with a master's degree sleeping on the floor in the home of relatives in SoCal. I'll probably be unemployed in Seattle sleeping in someone else's bed in a few weeks. Get that job in Korea and get the fuck out of here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •